Find
Notify
Tools

A Texas Ranch for the next DRSS Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted
Ok guys, I need your help. There is a thread in the Double Rifle forum talking about the next DRSS weekend hunt. I'd like to do some PRELIMINARY research into ranches within a three hour drive from Dallas, Texas that will let the DRSS do a weekend hunt for some hogs between July 15 and August 30. Yes, I know it's hot...

We would also need the ranch to provide accomodations for at least 15 people; a place to shoot is also a HUGE plus.

If anyone knows of an outfit that may flip the bill, please post it here so I can follow up with it and get some information to the group.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
You do not really want to hunt hogs then. Why not have it in early fall?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
You might want to check out The Boar's Den. They're not too far from you, in Archer County just south of Wichita Falls. I've never been there but have heard good things about them.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Charles_Helm: You do not really want to hunt hogs then. Why not have it in early fall?

Correct on both counts. It is hot as blazes that time of year (95-105) and hogs won't come out til way after dark. Early fall they will be back in greater numbers. Drought has really hurt the numbers, at least south of Interstate 10.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i am looking at the boar's den... just a tremedous drive from houston!!

unless you are used to 100+ degrees (like forrest said) June to October is out...

the weather litterally, espeially up around ddallas, 45 one day and 105 the next

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38601 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Check out the Big Woods it's a great place and they have all the Hog's you want. Me and my brother in-law were one of the first paying hunters 4yrs ago and will only go there to Hunt Hogs. Plus its only 2hrs from Dallas.
The Big Woods

Posts: 11 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
577NitroExpress,

Stasney's Cook Ranch, the best. Call Johnnie at 325 280-5967 (Wildlife Manager) about 1 Hour from Dallas.
accomodations for 15 or more people no problem, great boars and service.

Check out their web site http://www.stasneyscookranch.com/

Success, thumb
Roland