Notify
Tools

Night Knife Wild Boar hunting with Juan Pozzi
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted
Gentlemen

Let me start by stating that this was not planed and trying to do this should be done only if one is prepared to take the risk of getting cut a bit. This could be dangerous if the right team is not there to back you up.

This hunt is however possible with Juan Pozzi is he is up to it again.
The hunt was somewhat safe due to the fact that Juan is a surgeon and always have a medic kit and is able to deal with serious injuries.
The fact that Juan is using DOGO Argentinos and not a smaller or les aggressive dog also makes this hunt somewhat safe. The DOGO is a real fighter and will give its life in any hunting situation, do not doubt this they do not back out.

The story

We where driving home from a excellent day of hunting where I had bagged three wild boars and shot hundreds of Dows and some parrots.
One the way home we saw a hog standing in a field eating off the ground and not caring about us. We drive closer and can tell that this is a hog and not a pure Russian wild boar we decide not to kill it as we had plenty of meat to get by the next couple of days.
Then the Esquel Dogo/pointer jumps off the truck and starts to chase the hog around. They run into a corn field and we hear them fighting and it sounds like she is in trouble, She is only half DOGO Argentina and does not have the size of the DOGO. The big male Alfa male DOGO Lanhuel is then released and we dismount the truck to assist them. We only had one small Mag light, as we did not plan this. Juan was armed with his Glock in cal. .40 S&W my .500 Jeffery rifle and a Cold Steel Recon scout. I was armed with my Cold Steel Trail Master only.
Now let me state that going into a corn field with wild boars armed only with a knife takes a little special initiative. But we had to se what the dogs where up to as we did not know how many wild boars where in the field or how big they where.
We where going after the sound of the fight and at one point some hogs that was not in the fight with the dogs runs right in front of us, I could hear and smell then.
When we get to the dogs we see that this is not the hog that Esquel was chasing into the field but a pure Russian Wild Boar. Lanhuel has a good bite in the left ear so I hove in swiftly from the right and push my knife in behind the boars shoulder while I grab the right ear and puts my left knee on the boar to ride just uncase it wants to go some where. I like to have contact with the beast so that I know where is id especially taken into consideration that it is dark. After pumping the knife up and down a couple of times making sure that the hart is cut I make a cut to the throat of the boar opening up the beasts throat, The Columbian cut. My knife is real sharp and the cut was more then 4 inches deep.
The Wild boar was not real big, about 100 kg/ 220 lbs, but it put up one hell of a fight and killing it was grand sport. It was also a very nice Pure Russian wild boar all black in colour.

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
André: you seem to be fearless....and young. One of my friends got almost lost a kneecap for such a prowess and your faithful correspondant got the scaring of his life, what with one of the dogos colliding with my legs at full speed! A corn field at night is an eerie place to pursue hogs ...I may vouch it. Big Grin

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
André: you seem to be fearless....and young

I am in my prime thumb

Cheers,

André

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
nainitial rs rigth a dogo running can easily break your knee thats was a special extreme hunt for a special client andre is a warrior and he likes danger.i have a very good photo of this nigth ill post it .juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6367 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All men in the corn field that night was brave men.
I will hunt with them anytime - anywhere.

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
andre asked extrememe hunting and he get it the others in the hunt were rene,narscos fischer an army reserve officer,guillermo my son stay in the buck of the truck with his ruger the cornfield was full of hogs we were chasing another and catch this.juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6367 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wildpork
posted Hide Post
Andre',
Congrats on successful hunt. I am looking forward to hunting with Juan in July! I will bring my boar spear. There is a handmade hunting knike made for me by one of the guides, Christian. I can't wait to see it and hunt with my friends Juan and Christian again.

Posts: 106 | Location: the great northeast | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andre' great story and great hunt love to hear dog and knife stories something I can relate to alot thanks for posting them.

I had a question for you how do you like the Cold Steel Trailmaster as that is what we use as well and I feel its tops!

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
UltraMag

I like the Cold Steel Trail Master very much.
I think that the size is perfect and that the steel is of good quality too.
The best feature of the cold steel knives is the rubber grip.

I posted a discusion about the Trail Master in the knife section.

Cheers,

André

one of us
posted Hide Post
Andre,

I agree 100% with your feelings on the Trailmaster I also like the weight it has especially when clearing thick brush. I'll check out the thread you posted about Thanks!

Always always use enough...KNIFE!!! thumb

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
UltraMag

If you want enough knife this Alamo Bowie might do the trick for you.
The Alamo Bowie is made by Master bladesmith Gil Hibben and is 13 3/4 inches long.

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
ANDRE EXCUSE ME BUT I DONT LIKE THE POINTS OF BOWIES.JUAN IN HUNTING DUCKS RIGTH NOW MY FRIEND

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Juan Jæger

If the Bowie is for hunting where you stab then just make sure that the steel is not too hard.
Most real Bowies are made of 1/4 inch or even 3/8 inch stock steel. And the chance of the tip breaking off is minimum.

Cheers,

André

one of us
posted Hide Post
Andre, I have had Bowies in the past not the particular version you posted but very similar. But I can honestly say that I would choose a Trailmaster anyday but again JMHO! To me the feel and balance of the trailmaster is just right not to heavy etc. But I do agree that the Bowie would leave a very nice opening thumb

ALOHA!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffery
Exciting hunt.
Juan what do you think of a Randall Model 14 with a 7.5" blade?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
UltraMag

The Trailmaster is better then the Alamo Bowie for wild boar hunting no doubt there.
I just like the knife and the size is Big Grin well judge for yourself.

N E 450 No2
I think that 10 " is a god size for big hogs. You need a long knife to reach the hart. They die fast when you get them good in the hart. Go for the Randall model 12 Wink

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
FRIENDS ,I PREFER JUST FOR BOAR HUNTING A BIG DOUBLE EDGED LIKE AN APPLEGATE SMATCHET,THEN BIG STRONG KNIVES LIKE MERX WORK EQUATORIAN,I USE A DOUBLE EDGED MADE BY CRISTIAN ANDREO,BUT I HAVE TO RECOGNIZE THAT SOMETIMES I USED A BIG ONTARIO BOWIE OF THE MARMES RAIDES WITH GOOD RESULTS.FOR THIS TASK THE BIGGER THE BETTER .JUAN

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Juan,

What about something with a little more reach:

Maybe with a little more guard to keep your hand from slipping up the blade, and assuming the right combination of steel and heat treating to get a hard edge but enough flexibility to keep it from breaking off?

The picture is from here.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
thats a good knife but i prefer a wider blade please andre post the applegate smatchet and the merx works equatorian .juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Juan,

Here are the pictures you wanted -

Smatchet:

MercWorx Equatorian:

The one I posted is more of a short sword, and thus is probably wider in the blade than you think. These are the dimensions:

total length: 23 3/4"
sharpened length: 15 1/8"
width of blade: 2 1/8"
width 1" back from the tip: 1 1/8"
1/4" stock
weight: 1lb 9oz

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
these are big bores so your sword ,but like bulletts the bigger the better remember that we are talking about killing knives only .the cold steel tantos are very good too specially the magnum tanto.sometimes i use a recon tanto with good results .juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
Picture of wildpork
posted Hide Post
Is the knife that was in the picture with Ron L's boar the one I used? The one Christian made?

Posts: 106 | Location: the great northeast | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the picture of Jefferey and his boar. I lightened up the picture so that we could all see the devastating wounds in the animal.

Ron L

Posts: 276 | Location: hendersonville, nc 28739 | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
yes ron killed a boar with cristian andreo knife.ron,steve ,jhosua,andre,and in days mike all members of the forum participate in this extreme hunt ILL ORGANIZE A REUNION OF ALL OF YOU NEXT YEAR WITH AN OFFICIAL COMPETITION OF BOAR HUNTING.JUAN

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ron L

Thanks for making the picture better.
If you look close you can se the knife in the throat cut. I made a good deep cut to the throat. This was due to the fact that the stab to the hart did not make the beast go down right away. I had my left knee on the beasts back and was trying to push the beast to the ground.

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
that was wonderful even my guides expert hunters and martial artists admired andre work.juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
andre and steve tell boss kongoni that rams and goats are in every place of the bush so its very easy to get one they are not a special breed called patagonian they are in every place and they crossed each others.juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Boss Kongoni

Check out this white ram.
What a trophy

This is my black ram

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
what do you think can the ka bar warthog can be used as a boar knife or its too short.juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Juan Jæger

Wite a Blade length of 5 3/8", overall length of 10 1/4" I think that the Warthog is too short. IMO
For small hogs it might work but you never know what you will end up fighting.
Stick to your Recon scout or the large blade Crhistian made for you.

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
STEVE THORSEN BOUGTH ONE FOR ME ILL PROVE BUT YOU ARE CORRECT IN A BIG BOAR IT WILL NOT MAKE THEJOB.WHAT DO YOU THINK AS A COMBAT KNIFE.BESIDES EYEDOC KILLED THE HOGS WITH THE REVERSE GRIP ILL POST THE PHOTOS

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
Picture of wildpork
posted Hide Post
THE WARTHOG, ONTARIO SAWBACK AND THE COLD STEEL YOU WANTED ARE ON THE WAY. I WILL NEED TO SHORTEN THE LENGTH ON THE SPEAR TO PUT IT IN MY BOWCASE BUT THE BLADE IS AWSOME.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Juan Loves knives clap He will be a very happy camper.

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
steve all is prepared for your safari ,we even have some horses to hunt from horseback,we will be some days in the bush .please confirm all the details my friend.juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
yes i love rifles ,shotguns,pistols even machineguns,and all the military guns but i love knives because they never let you down and they are the most useful tool in the bush.juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
steve look at eyedoc hunting photos ,you will like the horses.juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
andre did you see the hogs taken by mike he they killed 7 boars they used cristian customs drop points.juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes Juan they are very nice.
Those pictures are saved in my special Argentine hunting file.

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
ANDRE SEE THE CAMILLUS BOAR HUNTER KNIFE IN THE BOAR HUNTER MAGAZINE ,AND DON ENDORSE ME EVERYBODY KNOWS WE ARE VERY GOOD FRIEND JAEGER

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
ANDRE tomorrow ill be hunting with afrikaner ill post the photos of the safari and knives used later we will try to kill a puma with the dogos we know the location of the puma ,it killed several cows ill post the result later.juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA