THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HOG HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hogs, Warthogs, Wild Boars, Javelinas Hunting    Wife has close encounter of the fourth kind..... LOL!

Moderators: Whitworth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wife has close encounter of the fourth kind..... LOL!
 Login/Join

posted
The deer feeders have been up and running for a couple of weeks now. The wife decided Saturday evening about 45 minutes before pitch dark that she and the 6 year old would walk behind the house and hog hunt until dark....

At 1804 I heard the muzzle report of her .270 two times about 4 seconds apart.... Hmmmm, not usually a good omen to hear two shots close together here in the big thicket. It usually means the first shot didn't hit it's mark and now it's tracking time.

About five minutes later the home phone starts ringing off of the wall and it's her. Bear in mind that I would give the farm to have a video of this!!!!

I answer and she's OUT OF BREATH AND FRANTIC!!! After about five minutes of calming her down, I can understand her and she tells me the story.......

She and the boy were walking out at dark when they rounded the bend in a logging road that we use to access our stands. On the way back she had to pass one other stand which has two feeders. When they rounded this blind bend in the road they popped into view of one of the feeders at about 20 yards. When they looked at the feeder there were, according to her, about 20-30 hogs under it.

Now don't get me wrong, I have had a couple of close calls with big hogs and respect them, but she is scared of them. We had one last year that was destroying feeder timers that were hung at least 6 feet in the air. The hog would stand on it's rear legs, grab it with it's teeth and tear it off of the hopper... (I can post some pics if interested)

Anyway, she decides that she must "shoot her way out" of the woods so she can get back to the house!!! She leveled her Ruger M77 and was able to pick them up clearly in the Zeiss scope. The first shot punched a 150 pounder right behind the shoulder and turned him off like a switch. And then ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE!!!! LOL!!! Damn I wish I had a video of this!!!!!

According to her and no doubt it's true, HOGS WENT EVERY DIRECTION ON THE COMPASS!!! LOL!!! Then she really panicked and went into "fight' or "flight" mode with "fight" winning out momentarily. Seconds later a hog about 200 lbs popped back out near the feeder with the remaining 25 five or so tearing through the briars around them like bulldozers! Well, her "fight" mode lasted long enough that she turned the second hog off like a switch where he stood. Then with the pandemonium of hogs surrounding her, an immediate "tactical withdrawal" seemed to be in order and "flight" mode took over in primitive fashion...

She screamed at the poor six year old to run for his life back to the stand they had just left (poor kid)...... Not thinking they were headed the same direction as some of the terror stricken and shell shocked retreating hogs... After running a pretty good distance they figured out that the hogs tearing through the overgrown clear cut thicket were actually now travelling alongside of and paralleling them at about the same speed.

The boy had fell down during their stampede back to the stand and stuck his barrel into the dirt rendering it useless, but he was smart enough to see what had happened and realized the gun was now unfireable (training paid off finally).

They made it to back to their stand without getting eaten alive by the "maneating hogs".... (LMAO). After several minutes she regained her composure enough to hit the speed-dial button on her cell phone and call home for reinforcements. She couldn't dial the numbers themselves, her hands were shaking too bad...

That's about the time the phone rang at home..... After I got down there it became obvious that she had indeed shot two nice, young boars. One was pretty lean the other was the fattest wild hog I have EVER SEEN!

The fat one had about 2 1/2 full inches of fat on his back. The next morning we had fied eggs, toast and chicken fried loin with saw mill gravy... She was born and raised in the woods and might be scared of a wild hog, but she do know how to fix em in the kitchen!

I have some pics, but my camera is not the best after dark. If I can get them downloaded and viewable I will post them.

The Winchester factory 140gr Accubonds performed as expected. The first hog took it broadside right behind the shoulder with an exit wound on the other side about the size of a fifty cent piece. The second hog took it at about 15 yards on the point of the right shoulder where the shield was the thickest and it stopped just under the skin in the center of the off side shoulder.

There was tremendous damage internally on both which is the result of considerable fragmentation due to the very high impact velocity at such close range. In any event I am pleased with the round and will continue to use it as a great all around load for the .270 Win.

Later, MD

Posts: 8 | Location: Southeast Texas | Registered: 14 July 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What a great story! Ya got to give her credit for anchoring those two hogs. Good shooting. Every little bit helps fill the freezer. Also congrats to the youngin' for knowing not to shoot after falling and having a barrel obstruction. Very good all around.
Jon In Tucson

Shoot Straight and Vote!

Posts: 49 | Location: Tucson , AZ | Registered: 06 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I want to see some pics of the whole family dead hogs and all

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good shooting , and praise for not panicing !! clap

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
By all means post the photos! We would all love to see them. Great story! beer

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Really great story, sounds like both wife and son acted really well in the heat of battle.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I like to see that your family are good hunters and besuides that they are well prepared to defend themselves a rare thing in this world of left wingers.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments. I have been so busy at work I haven't had a chance to download the pics off of the camera. I will try my best to get them posted within a day or three.

I too was kind of surprised that she didn't break and run when she saw them. I'm really proud of the fact that she managed to fire two quick shots from a bolt action under great stress and hit right where she intended. I have done worse!!

Juan- Unfortunately you are right about the "liberal bleeding heart society". I'm a criminal investigator in an extremely high crime city and fully understand the value and mindset of REFUSING to be a victim.

I am a life member of the NRA and fully respect the dignity of our 2nd Amendment to the Constitution, "the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed". The victims who would rather march like sheep to the slaughter sit in my office daily whining about when WE are going to do something for them... I try my best to catch every criminal thug I can, but they have me out numbered a few hundred to one and I have to sleep sometime.

I teach my family and close friends to know the law and defend themselves accordingly. No, I don't want myself or any of my family members to have to endure the after effects of shooting someone, but the alternatives (getting killed or maimed) or MUCH worse. We train on home defense (firearms & tactics), personal defense (firearms & tactics) and public school survival tactics. They can all shoot bullseyes at 100 yards with a rifle and shoot a handgun better than a LOT of cops...LOL!

If everyone person would step up to the plate and refuse to be a victim our little planet would be a much safer and pleasant place to live. You can't reason with most violent criminals, they won't bargain with you, they have no pity or remorse and will kill you if they feel like it will benefit them.

People need to understand that the police can't protect you as you think. In 99.9% of the incidents the police are simply responders after you call them. The gig is completely over when they get there. We usually get to do the paperwork, notify the next of kin and work for weeks in some instances trying to PROVE who did it.

Cops love it and it's much more effective if people will use lawful means to defend themselves and THEN call us. The paperwork is a lot easier and if the defense was lawful and justified it is an open and shut case..... Bad Guys-0 / Good Guys-1 !!!!

I spent some time in New Mexico 15 years or so back. They then had an open carry law. No permit needed, no concealed carry, you had to carry open and in plain view, ANYONE! I asked the Sheriff of the county where we were at how did this affect the crime rate and he replied -"What crime?" That's what I'm talking about!!!

Ok rant off.... I'll try to get the pics up as soon as I can.

Mickey

Posts: 8 | Location: Southeast Texas | Registered: 14 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
In my family everybody carries a gun and everybody practiced unarmed combat ,my 10 year son won most of the local police in an ipsc tournament excepting special team members ,but our goverment now is trying to ban guns can you believe in a country where everybody use to shoot and shooting was even obligatory to all secondary school pupils but...i like to see that there are people like us ,be in touch my friend.SI VIS PACE PARA BELLUM.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I scattered a herd of hogs once when I was killing feral cattle. As your wife learned, they take off in the direction they're facing then you fire. Then the woods are full of stragglers and you'd best be ready for some jump shooting, possibly at targets that are behind you. But it sounds like your people did just fine. I especially admire the boy's presence of mind.

You're one hell of a husband and father to put together a team like that.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard