Notify
Tools

2007 West Texas Javelina Hunts.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted
Hope I ain't out of line with this.

We are beginning to take bookings for Javelina hunts on a 20,000 acre ranch east of Fort Stockton in Pecos county Texas. We may also be offering combo Javelina and Spring Turkey.

For more info contact:
crazyhorseconsulting@yahoo.com

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We now have our website up and running. We are still tweaking it so it will be changing over the next few weeks.

www.shoestringsafaris.com

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like fun if there are any quail. How's the food?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I do all the cooking, if anyone leaves the table hungry, it is by their own choice. We usually have folks complaining about gaining weight. We have lots of blue quail, and those will be an option during Jan. and Feb., but hunting those little characters is more like a marathon then a gentlemanly afternoon stroll behind the dogs.

one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy my hunts in that country. I have hunted the Pitcock Ranch within the boundaries of Big Bend National Park a number of times.

Sent you an e-mail from you site regarding 3 day hunts.

Do you happen to know a past resident of Ft. Stockton named Johnnie Hamilton?

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Replied to your inquiry, hope you got it.

We really don't know that many people at Fort stockton, just the rancher we work with and his family

one of us
posted Hide Post
How does a Canucker get to Fort Stockton ?... I still remember the comment (was it from Groucho Marx) ...' you can't get there from here !' Big Grin Seriously though, it sounds like great fun and I have sent you a message. Because of the hassles getting a gun into the U.S. these days ... is it possible to rent a gun from you chaps ??? If we decide to escape the damn ice and cold Frownerof the Great White North) I reckon that I can start on the permit getting from the ATF folks in Washington ...

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
scruffy:

I'm still thinking about this. I'd be glad to supply you with guns, but I'm at the other end of the state from the area of this ranch, and that's a pretty far piece.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My how things have changed. I remember hunting the Hart ranch, south of the Interstate between Kent and Van Horn. Aoudad and javelina were varmits then. While hunting for mule deer we were encouraged to take an aoudad or two and all the javelina we could flatten.

My best afternoon was eleven javelina and an aoudad ram.

I don't suppose you are going to pay us to hunt your javelina are you?

Posts: 13873 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scrffy, we can supply firearms for you to use, both center fire and rimfire for hunting the jackrabbits.

As for javelina being considered varmits, that thinking has begun to change in Texas, they have been listed as game animals for years but have never been treated as such. Check out either JavelinaHunter.com or the Arizona Game & fish Dept. and see how they are treated there.

When we started hunting the ranch we are on back in 1998, the rancher felt the same as a lot of people, he was amazed that people would pay to hunt Javelina. We would find Javelina carcasses all over the place where they had been shot and left, and would find them in snares in the fences. After we started doing the guided hunts and showed him that people would pay to hunt Javelina and would travel from New York and Minnesota and Florida and other places to do it, his attitude toward Javelina and Javelina hunters has changed. We have gone to looking at how to manage the herd and not take out too many animals. Also, starting this year, my wife and I are able to do the hunts over a longer period of time than in the past 9 years, so the ptential income will be a lot higher.

No, things have and are changing in Texas and in the case of Javelina I am glad, because if they are hunted as they should be they are really sporting little animals, that I feel make a good primer for a real Big Game hunt. JMO.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How does a Canucker get to Fort Stockton ?...

The closest airport is Midland, which is less than a hundred miles (next door neighbors in that part of the world). Midland is served by Southwest Airlines, American, and maybe a couple of others. If you can get to Spokane or Seattle, then the remainder of the trip is less than $300 RT to Midland on SWA. I'm sure you can go all the way on American from Calgary or Edmonton.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank You for adding that StoneCreek, I was suffering from one of my usual cases of cranio-rectal inversion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just finished with an update to our website.

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Your website is very nice ,i hunt in USA too and perhaps sometime ill be there hunting with you ,altghou here javelina hunting is a common sport.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your comments. Texas is one of the 3 places you can hunt them in the U.S., and is the most liberal as far as hunting laws on the Javelina are concerned. There is no draw for the tags, and a hunter can take 2 on a $45.00 5 Day License.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After being informed that I have a terminal case of cranio-rectal inversion, I think I have got our website fixed where the text on the various pages can actually be read. We have also made some updates and added some links. Check out the Javelina mount in our links section. THANK YOU.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Not interested in Javelina, have all I need right here. What about other critters, hogs for example?

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At present I have gotb only one hog hunter I deal with. It looks like there are several other folks on here that can help you with that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crazyhorseconsulting ( there's a handle Wink) won't be in '07 ( waaaay to much on the go) but '08 is a go. How do the Javelina taste? If you're interested in booking for then I can start the process in January.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We can see what we can put together and lock it in at the present price. I do not know if there will be a price increase between 2007 and 2008 but this way it wouldn't matter. Just contact me at the address listed on the website when you are ready and we will see what we can figure out.

Javelina actually taste good if fixed right. The biggest key is in the cooking. They have little or no fat and so the meat will dry out if cooked at high heat rapidily. Lora, has developed some recipes and cooking methods for javelina that taste excellent.

Thank You for your question. Happy Holidays.
Randall

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have finished with some updates to our website over the Christmas weekend. We still have openings, but are beginning to fill up. Please contact if interested so we can discuss the dates we have available.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone connected to AR.

cheers cheers cheers cheers

One of Us
Picture of Warhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
We have finished with some updates to our website over the Christmas weekend. We still have openings, but are beginning to fill up. Please contact if interested so we can discuss the dates we have available.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone connected to AR.

cheers cheers cheers cheers

Howdy, I didn't realize there was anyone else here from Azle. I'm near the high school and Shady Grove park.

Posts: 59 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am out south of town off 730 and Veal Station.

One of Us
Picture of Warhawk
posted Hide Post
I go by there at least a couple of times a week.

We should go shooting. I've got a 45/70 marlin that needs a new scope sighted in.

Posts: 59 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we will have to try and hook up at some point and discuss 45/70's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We just finished with some updates to our website, added some links and lora added some recipes.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Hey Randall!
I find my self in Odessa several times a year checking on my machine shop there. What's the chances and price of a late Friday afternoon or early Saturday morning rabbit hunt? Dang I miss hunting rabbits with my Winchester Model 63 auto loader.
Best regards!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just finished with some updayes and adding some links to the website. We still have opening for Javelina and Javelina/Spring Turkey combo hunts.

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I cant read most of your text at all.nothing past "dont let our company name fool you "keep trying

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was part of what we worked on, the rest of the changes should show up shortly. The background picture looked nice, but the wording did disappear into the background. One of our problems, and I am not sure why we have it, is that when we pull up our website at home, it doesn't show us the pages, the way they actually appear to others, such as the background on our home page. We have to go to the library or a friends house and have them pull it up, so that we can see whatevery body else does, or in this case doesn't. Thankss for passing on the information, and we will get it where people can see what we are offering.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finished with the latest round of updates and changes, hope everything is easier to see and read now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are off for our Easter break from the hunts, so I thought I would post our results on the hunts up to this point.

We have been having some really great weather out in the Trans Pecos during the hunts that we just finished. Our first group of hunters, a man and his 10 and 15 year old sons from Ticonderoga New York, came down and hunted with us the third week in February.

I got the 10 year old on his first Javelina the first afternoon they were in camp. We were basically just out for an orientation drive, showing them the ranch, when we came up on a group of about 15 animals. The wind was in the wrong direction, so I just drove on past the closest animals, about 100 yards off the pasture road, then pulled around to a spot to start the stalk. Due to the wind, we made a big looping stalk around where the group was feeding, and ended up coming in to within about 30 yards of the closest animals. The 10 year old, picked out a nice sized animal that I hadn't seen that was about 70 yards or so away just off the side of the ridge.

I told him that if he was comforfortable with it, to go ahead and take the shot. He was using an H&R Topper in 30-30, and made a really good, mostly off-hand shot that dropped the animal in its tracks.

Javelina started running everywhere at the shot, turned out that there were about a half dozen more animals in the group than what I estimated. I told the Dad and the 15 year old to get ready and I started blowing on my Javelina call. Within a couple of minutes, I had 3 coming right up the hill to us, and they weren't playing around. I told the two hunters to shoot when they got the chance, but it didn't pan out as having those things running up toward us popping their jaws, was somewhat un-nerving, but luckily they both completely missed.

Over their hunt, I got them 5 of the 6 Javelina they were wanting. The 15 year old kept havbing issues with his equipment and shooting off-hand in the brush, but only with the Javelina's. When it came to hunting the Jackrabbits, all 3 were good shots on those guys.

After this group left we had hunters coming and going starting on March 2 and finally finished up on the the 15th. I was able to get a man and his 8 year old onto the kids first game animal ever, after a 150 yard+ stalk on a moving group of 5 Javelina along the side of one of the mesas. When I finally got the kid in position, he made a really great shot on a big sow.

We have had 100% success this year on both peolpe wanting 2 animals and folks only wanting 1. We had 5 hunters take Javelina with bow, and one hunter make his first handgun kill on a game animal.

We still have opening available, starting April 15 and going till the end of May. These include opening for Spring Turkey/Javelina combo hunts, during Spring Turkey season.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was the person that brought the 10 year old and the 15 from New York,Randall is truthful on how our hunt went. Had A good time.When I get my shit together I got a lot of pictures to share.Yes Randall I will send you them. Just need your E-mail. I've not had much time to myself till today.

When there's lead in the air, there's hope!!!!

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still waiting on pictures from the hunt in Feb. so thought I would try to post some links for the ones that were taken during our latest hunt, May 22 thru 27.

http://www.fototime.com/2BD3B2CF7F69A45/standard.jpg

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is the link to the story from one of the hunters point of view.

The Great Crazyhorseconsulting Javelina Hunt! w pics

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That didn't fly so I will have to keep trying on that one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try this CHC,
Sounds like everyone had a super time on the hunt. You Sure have some nice pictures of the area. Nothing prettier than the WT desert in full bloom. Do you know how much rain they have received this year?
I have only been to West Texas 3 or 4 time and it is a beautiful area. Looks like they have had plenty of spring rain this year. Should make for some great fall hunting across most all the state. Good Luck.
James

LINK TO STORY:
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/ubbthreads/showflat.ph...arch=true#Post205181

One of Us
posted Hide Post
salute salute salute

Many Thanks for the assist James. I still have things to figure out about confusers. bewildered bewildered bewildered

From the time we left on the 20th. of March, till we got back on the 19th. of May, the ranch had received over 12 inches of rain. Normal rainfall for that entire Trans-Pecos area is usually 15 inches or less annually.

John and Mike are both great guys and good hunters. For Lora and I both it was a pleasure to have them in camp.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have been doing some updates to our site, as we get more pictures in from this years clients we will do some more.