Find
Notify
Tools

2007 West Texas Javelina Hunts.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
We have 2 openings for a hunt starting July 27th. and ending on the 30th.. This will basically be a two day hunt, although arrangements can be made to extend it by one day.

Hunt is for one javelina, with predator and jackrabbit hunting included.

price of this hunt is $700.00 per person, with a second javelina @ $100.00 check out our website or pm me for more info if interested.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
salute salute salute

Many Thanks for the assist James. I still have things to figure out about confusers. bewildered bewildered bewildered

No problem CHC. Just glad to return the favor. Thanks for what you and the others have done for the Disabled Hunters and Disabled Veteran Group in the way of helping us get out and enjoy the hunts and activities.

Hopefully the tremendous amount of rains we have had across Texas this year will mean some great game harvest this season. Should be a good year. We have a wild sunflower crop that is 7 foot tall already and still going.

Below are some thoughts I received from one of our Disabled Veterans that we were able to put on a couple of hunts in the last couple of years. It kinda meant something special to me in a lot of ways. Just wanted to share his thoughts and special thanks with you fellow sportsmen. Thanks for sharing some time and camaraderie with those in special need.
James

beer
“The Hunter
OK, picture this. A hunter peers through the shooting window of his blind. It is the middle of November. The temperature is 36 degrees, the wind blowing directly into his face at almost 40 MPH and the sky beginning to cloud over and get dark. He thinks, if it gets any colder it will probably snow. Then, at 100 yards, a whitetail buck comes into view, four points on one side, three on the other. No trophy, but just an average whitetail. He glances around, just a bit nervous and angles down the slope, coming a bit closer with every step. The hunter slowly draws a bead on the buck’s chest with his Bushnell 3X9 and follows the deer every step. Closer, closer, 80 yards, 70 yards and he keeps coming. The hunters senses are at a peak now, unblinking eyes focused, heart beginning to race, a faint film of sweat here and there on his body. His muscles ripple with excitement. Still, he watches, and waits. Then, at 45 yards, with the all important side presentation, he squeezes the trigger. BOOM! The Winchester sending a .270 bullet, in the blink of an eye, through the bucks heart and one of his lungs, and he did that peculiar little jump with a hunched back that tells you it was a solid hit. Then he runs back through the mesquite and cactus the way he came, and all is quiet. All except the hunters heart beating 150 times a minute, the hair standing up on the back of his neck and a profusion of excited sweat covering his body. He waits, quietly.
After awhile his partner, who was in the blind with him, goes out and follows the blood trail. At about 90 yards, there he is, lying against a little bush, totally spent. With some effort he drags the deer back to where the hunter is. You can tell this hunter is overjoyed, by the way his wheelchair bounces along the uneven ground. This is his first ever buck, possibly his last. He came hunting with the help of an organization that donates a few hunts per year to disabled adults and children. And many thanks for those. But the point here is that there are so few hunts available. At least if you don't have a lot of cash for a package hunt. You can't blame the outfitters. They have enough problems seeing to the able bodied hunter. You can't blame the State of Texas. They have done what they think is necessary for disabled hunters. You can't blame the landowners. They spent too much time picking up trash and finding livestock shot and left to rot by unscrupulous hunters in the past, so they charge high prices for hunting that the average disabled guy cannot afford. I don't know very many that can afford it, do you?
I guess what I am trying to say is that handicapped folks need a little help. Do you know one? If you do, could you take one, just one, hunting one time a year, or maybe even fishing. It will take a lot of effort for you to do this, no doubt about it. And if that hunter gets his deer, or an average largemouth bass, it will not be a success for him, it will be a triumph.
Ya'll have a great day,
Pacoâ€

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lora and I have been working on trying to figure out how to do a special hunt, just for a group of special needs hunters. We have some ideas that we are going to be discussing with the rancher, and we do have some issues that we have to address with our housing, so as to be able to accommodate handicapped individuals.

We both really hope that we can get things worked out, so that we will be able specialized hunts in the future.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We still have two openings for the end of July.

Anyone that would be interested in a semi-guided / self guided hunt, archery or gun, or in a youth - parent / guardian hunt, we can offer a discount. Check out our website or PM me for details.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We ended up reshceduling the hunt that we were going to do at the end of July, and will probably not do any hunts till Feb. 2008.

We have been doing some updating and re-arranging some of our information over the past few days and still have some more to do, along with pictures from this years hunts to add.

If you get the chance, check out our site listed in my signature. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got some of this years pictures on the website, along with new information concerning what we offer, and our new pricing structure for 2008.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are taking bookings for 2008. February is almost filled. We offer a discount to AR members. Also we are offering Spring Turkey/Javelina combo hunts for 2008.

If you have any questions either PM or contact us from our website.

www.shoestringsafaris.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Crazyhorse,
I know that area well and it is a good Javalina area..I have a shirttail relitive near where you hunt which I assume is somewhere around Sheffield..

I was raised in the Big Bend of Texas, went to school at Marathon and Marfa..Ranched the Rosillas Mt. Ranch for some years, it has sinced been annexed into the Big Bend National Park.

All good Javalina, Mule Deer, and some of it has the wonderful little Coues deer, referred to locally as hog nose deer, flagtails, and Coues (pronounced Cows, but no one uses that term anymore) they say Koos. Regular whitetail in some areas and the so called Del Carmin Whitetail, which is nothing more than a Coues deer..They were brought in from Arizona by trucks (traded for Texas Mule Deer) right after WW1 part of Roosevelts get back to work CCC camps. My dad and uncles drove those trucks and dumped the deer in the Chisos basin.

That area is a hunters paradise and success rates are phenominal on all game.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
The area around Sheffield has excellent Javelina populations, thats where I got my first

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting javelinas is really fun and they are a great for animal for beginning or inexperienced hunters.

I just wish people in Texas had a tad more respect for the little guys, because when a person gets out and actually hunts them, instead of shooting them over a corn line they are fun.

At least Arizona and New Mexico treat them as Game animals and don't just classify them as such but don't pay any attention to how many are killed.

Thanks for the comments gentlemen.

I will get down off my soapbox now and go set back down in the corner.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are offering discounts for AR members for our 2008 hunts, this applies to both our javelina hunts as well as our javelina-spring turkey combos.

Check out our website and contact us for pricing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are filled up for our February 2008 hunts. All other bookings will need to be made for the March thru May time period.

We do no hunts the week before and the week after Easter.

Thanks for checking out our website.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
New, for 2008 we are offering a discount rate schedule for the leader of a group of hunters.

Check out our website for more info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just talked to the rancher and also new for 2008, we are offering 3 night/2 day Semi-Guided/Self-Guided Spring Turkey-Javelina combo hunts.

Cost of this hunt to AR members is $750.00.

Price includes lodging and meals and some transportation on ranch during the hunt.

Hunt is for one turkey and one javelina. Predator and jackrabbits are included at no charge.

A second javelina can be taken for $100.00, a second turkey can be taken for $150.00.

Skinning of javelina for a shoulder mount is included in hunt price, skinning for a full body mount can be arranged @ $35.00 per animal.

A guide can be arranged @ $25.00 per day per hunter if desired.

Hunters would arrive at ranch on the day before their scheduled hunt, and depart the day after the hunt period ends.

Extra days can be arranged @ $50.00 per day per person if desired.

Hunt is for either archery or firearm.

These hunts are available starting April 1 and ending April 27.

If interested check out our website and contact us for available dates.

Thank You.

www.shoestrigsafaris.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some open spots for the 1st. thru 10th. of March 2008 time frame.

These can be either 2 day or 3 day hunts @ $650.00 per person.

A second Javelina can be taken for $100.00

This price includes lodging and meals.

Predator and jackrabbit hunting is included.

If anyone is interested in bring a 16 year old or younger hunter along the price for the youth is $300.00, with their second javelina @ $50.00.

A non-Hunting companion/observer can be accommodated @ $100.00 for the hunt period.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Correction to the above post, open dates are from 3 thru 14 March.