New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: CA Hog Hunt Recommendation
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A couple of very good guides that I have hunted hogs with near Paso Robles and Parkfield are Tom Willoughby and Roger Miller.

Tom is based in King City but hunts a bunch of ranches near Paso Robles and San Miguel. Last time I went with him he was either $400 or $450, I do not remember. He had 19 ranches leased to hunt on at that time, so he can move you around depending on where the hogs are.

Roger Miller has a ranch just outside Parkfield. He has a good operation as well. His price is the same as I remember and he even has a cabin on the ranch you can use for an additional fee.

I saw LOTS of hogs when hunting with these fellows.

Phone numbers are:

Tom Willoughby (831) 385-3003
Roger Miller (805) 463-2475

Good Luck on your hunt.

RF

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I'm looking for a hog hunt in California. I'd like something not too expensive, say around $400 if possible, and with a high success rate yet still provide a good hunt. The only recommendation I've gotten was the Esterbrook Ranch. Any thoughts? A guide would be a plus as with my luck, I'd probably never find a pig. I'm trying to make my wait until next hunting season less dreary as I never even got to fire a shot this deer/elk season. Thanks for the input. How's March/April for pig hunting anyway?

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Try the Tejon Ranch on top of the Grapevine (I-5) in Southern Kern County, They sell guided and unguided hunts for pigs. www.tejonranch.com

Posts: 12549 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Contact Kyler Hamann who posts here. He has a budget hunt... minum two hunter... I believe it is $175/pp a day plus $250 if you take a pig...fully guided.

Kyler is a blast to hunt with...high success rate..

www.boaring.com

I have probaly been with him 1/2 dozen times

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Or, if you save up a little more, for $750 he does two days, no pig fee and puts you up in the Parkfield Inn with meals at the Parkfield Cafe'. Now that might not sound like much, but after the first deep breath in the Cafe', you're hungry enought to eat the table. Almost like hunting in the Grand Manner! (burp!)

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Hey Sarge...you want to join me sometime at Kyler's...I am generally a grumpy pain in the ass...but at least I don't make any bones about it

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Or, if you save up a little more, for $750 he does two days, no pig fee and puts you up in the Parkfield Inn with meals at the Parkfield Cafe'. Now that might not sound like much, but after the first deep breath in the Cafe', you're hungry enought to eat the table. Almost like hunting in the Grand Manner! (burp!)

What's the difference between a "trophy fee" and a "success fee"?

Posts: 12549 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Fjold,

Success fee means taking a pig. Some pig guides charge an additional "trohpy fee" if a pig is over say 250 lbs or has tusks say greater than 2.5 inches.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I've seen size based trophy fees for elk and deer and it's very common in Europe and New Zealand but I've never seen it applied to pigs before.