New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: BIG HOG
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Take a good look at the photo and see how far the fellow is standing behind the hog...you can work wonders with a wide-angle lens and a little distance between 2 objects.

Take a look at many of the black bear pics posted on web-sites....big ears indicating younger, smaller animals looking like they weight 400lbs because the hunter is sittng 5' behind the bear for the photo.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
look at the sci ranking for south america in argentina we kill boars of more than 350 kilos and 30cms of tusks there are world records from here .i have photos in www.huntinginargentina.com.ar

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heck all I know is if I shot one that big it wouldn't be on the back forty burried somewhere... Hell I'd build a reiforced wall to mount the head... lol

Posts: 74 | Location: Jacksonville NC | Registered: 16 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
please before kidding try to see that in the sci one one of tthe hogs was published in the spanish magazine armasmania please believe me in argentina there are giant hogs not pures boars off course but mixed giants very dangerous for the dogs i invite anybody to hunt with me and see that.juan

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
and anyone questions why i think a 358 is a decent minimum for hogs, with a 375, 416 , 458 and bigger frequently there?

even if the guy is 3' behind the hog (he's touching it) it's STILL HUGE...

or, to put it a different way, once a pig reaches about 250#, it has NO natural predators, other than man and trucks.... this one was probably not overly concerned with man.

what a huge, stinking monster

jefe

Posts: 38464 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
as harry pointed out in the last monster pig pic... this fella is still ALL fella.... his nuts are as big as a soccer ball

jeffe

Posts: 38464 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't you love to have to beat the puckerbrush to sort out that guy with a 243 in your hand?

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I think it's really tough to take those ENORMOUS pig stories seriously.

From what I've heard from commercial hog farmers, 1000 and even 1500 pound breeding boars are not uncommon.
Unless you knew the history of the breeding and feeding of a particular boar it would be very hard to know how wild (or more correctly feral) a "trophy" might be.

For 3 different college degrees, studying wild and feral pig ecology, I had to read a stack of scientific studies about 2 feet thick. I don't recall any studies catching and weighing any wild or feral pigs much over 350 to 400 pounds.

I'm not saying pigs bigger than that don't exist, but goodness knows at least a few of the five 800 pound boarzilla stories someone tells me each and every week must be wrong.

Great hunting with great hunters,
Kyler

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen a feral hog that purported to weigh 600 pounds. It might have been only 400 pounds. It filled up the back end of an S10 pickup, and had at least one 7 inch tusk. The boys (younger than me) killed it in The Cottonwood Creek bottoms which is near Jacksonville Texas. This happened about 5 years ago. The head was mounted and hung in a Taxidermy shop in Athens Texas for a year or two. A 400 pound feral hog would have to be old.

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
I cannot beleive that they did not save the skull and tusks. If that boar had tusks as big as they claim, they would be worth the effort to save. I will bet that even the weakest wall in Georga could hold the tusks at least.

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
LOOK AT THE PHOTOS IN PICS OF ARGENTINA BOARS FROM RON L IT TOOK 5 PERSON JUST TO MOVE THAT HUGE BOAR

one of us
posted Hide Post
He is standing in a hole and behind the pig,,,its big but not that flippin big,,,,course people look at the Crappy picture of my boar and myself and think its 100 pounds or soooooo,,,it was 218 pounds 2 hours after I gutted it on a good scale.

Make sure you get a good photo of your piggy,

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote