Find
Notify
Tools

Dedicated pig gun?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted
Who do you think makes a good cheap bolt action with open sights to use as a pig gun/ deer at close range etc?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it didnt have to be a bolt gun I would say a Marlin 336 in 30-30. Mine has a Williams peep and under 100 yards they are toast. Only drawback is you lose some hunting time as it doesnt gather light at dawn or dusk as well as a scope. But, I used it last season and dropped a nice 150-160# hog, and a whitetail doe the next day. For a bolt with iron sights.....I guess I would suggest a Savage, or Remington, but the sights on the Savage are pretty fragile. My .02

Good luck and good shooting,
Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
A Lever gun Marlin 45-70, 450 Marlin, or 444 Marlin or a Browning in 450 Marlin or 358 Winchester..

A Bolt gun, a Blaser R93 in 338, 9.3x62, 9.3x64, or 45 Blaser. Or a whatever fits you and you like in 338 or 9.3x62.

Or you can use a 30-06 if you don't handload or have really vanilla taste.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I didn't see cheap! Go with the marlin!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know how you define "cheap," but if the Remington 673 qualifies, that would be my choice. A lot of people don't like the way it looks on the rack, but when you're looking over the barrel, the rib-mounted rear and high front blade are, in my opinion, the easiest-to-use factory irons out there. And the .350 is no slouch at dropping hogs.

Posts: 178 | Location: New York | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
I didnt specify what I meant by cheap.
I meant like Mod 700Bdl, Savage etc. just factory stock. nuttin fancy.

I've got a 7.62x54 made in 1938 what do you think about these for a pig gun?

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
I didnt see any savage's on their website that have open sights

One of Us
Picture of Brad Starcevich
posted Hide Post
What whiteeagle said. I LOVE my Remington 673 in 350 Rem Mag for hogs. Buy if for hogs, and your set for everything else on the continent.
Best, Starcharvski.

Posts: 135 | Location: St. Charles, IL USA | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jarrod
When I first saw your question I immediately thought of a Remington Model 7 in 308. I have a couple of them and have shot several deer and pigs with them.
However I had a Model 7 in 350 Rem Mag once....
It is a great caliber. I had a Model 7 KS. Recoil was not bad.
But since you must be on a budget 308 ammo is also very inexpensive.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Ne450no2,
I reload so the caliber doesnt matter a whole lot.

I have handled the modeled 7's before dont like them to short for me.
Reason why I said cheap yes I am on a budget and to me pretty rifle and hogs just dont go together.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jarrod
Any rifle in 308 and up would be an excellent hog rifle. If you are using iron sights a "magnum" is not necessary. A 350 RM or a 35 Whelen would be about perfect. However I have never found the 308 wanting.
For the conditions you describe a Marlin 45/70 Guide gun would be hard to beat. My brother has one and it shoots good.

What bolt action do you prefer?

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
What do you think about my 7.62x54 as a hog rifle?
One problem with it though is I cant work the bolt with it on my shoulder.
I had a 45/70 one time. I really liked it but I never got a chance to hunt hogs with it. I didnt think the recoil was half as bad as everyone says it is.

one of us
posted Hide Post
With a good soft point the 7.62x54 is clearly powerful enough. They are not the slickest bolt rifle in the world, but it will work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can get a Mauser 98k in 8x57 with a good bore for less than a beater 30-30. 196-gr. S&B softpoints are dirt cheap, and they're loaded as hot as a 30-06. Even the US 8x57 load we all dump on for being too weak is about like a 300 Savage (170 @ 2,400 fps). One of those in the boiler room will drop anything in North America short of a grizzly.

Also, everything about the 98 is rugged as hell. The magazine was designed and built for the 8x57, making it one of the slickest and most reliable rifles in the world. You'll need a new front sight, since the sights zero a 154-gr. load at about 300 yards. Then you're set.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a CZ 550 in 9.3x62 mm. The fullstock model would be especially handy for hogs.

Posts: 283 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
For hunting hogs in thick areas would the 9.3x62, 45-70, 358 etc offer anything over my 7.62x54.
I just dont like hunting hogs at close range with a scoped rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any increase in bore diameter will offer some increased effect on the target. I shot some feral cattle with a 9.3x62 and it was all they could do to stand up after the bullet hit. They literally went straight down. It was amazing.

I've done some very fast work up close with a low-powered scope, but speed comes from having the rifle fit you properly. Before we go much farther, we need to define what we mean by "close range" and "cheap."

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Well mostly under 50 and some under 25.
Cheap like 8mm, 303 military like rifles etc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jarrod
I agree with okie john, from what you stated in you last post I would get a M 98 in 8x57.
I have used S&B ammo in my 9,3x74R double rifle and it shot good and killed pigs very good.

I was lucky enough several years ago to get a "South American" Mauser that was rebarreled to 308 from 7x57. Thus I have M98 in my favorite 308. This rifle will easily hit a 15"x15" piece of steel at 600 yards with the issue sights.
Anything that can be done with a 308/30-06 can be done with a 8x57. Nothing wrong with a British 303 either, but as time goes by you might want to restock the M98, fit a scope to it etc.
I would go with the M98 8x57 and the S&B ammo.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
You also may be able to pick up a Husqvarna in 9.3x57 for not too much. For close in work I doubt the hogs would notice the difference from a 9.3x62. You would have trouble finding cheap ammunition if you don't load for it.

I don't know what you consider to be inexpensive but Sarco has some for +/- $300.

The 8x57 is probably cheaper all around.

Disclaimer: The only 9.3 I have used on a hog was my 9.3x74R.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I hope nobody else has already reccomended this, as I didn't read the posted answers. What I would reccomend is the Savage scout modle 10FCM chambered for 7mm08, or 308. It has forward mounted scope, and Iron sights, and the two chamberings are all that is needed for hogs. It sells for in the area of $525, with iron sights+ the price of an EER scope. beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
I believe I will just try and find a 8x57 or 303 in good shape and use that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Other than the safety being a concern I think if the 7.2x54r is accurate and you shoot it well there is no reason for another rifle. I have one that was fitted with remington iron sight and it is a nice woods rifle. I carry it with a round chambered and the bolt open, it is soooo much easier on the fingers than the mil-spec safety. The bolt handle had been altered when I traded for it, so can't speak of using a stock bolt. I bought some S&B 180gr. for the brass years ago and they are smokin hot, but have been told they reduced the load in later shipments. The 180 grainers seem to hold up well.

Good luck and good shooting,
Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
what is this S&B

one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
Sellier & Bellot Ammunition

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Jarrod,

Why not a cheap SKS in 7.62 X 39 or a as posted above a .303. There are some nice ones out there for around $200. and just shooting ammo can be had almost as cheap as handloads. Me I like the Marlins and have a Guide Gun and a 336 in 30-30 that I bought new for $75.00 in 1960 and it works fine. IMO the 30-30 is hard to beat as a close up gun and anyone who sells ammo sells 30-30. But as Okie John's signature says
"A 30-06 works PERIOD". It IMO is the best one gun round for almost anywhere.
Gene

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The perfect dedicated open sight pig gun?
The Remington Spartan double rifle in 45.70!
Of course Big Green can't get their stuff together and actually get them on the market.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12595 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
The perfect dedicated open sight pig gun?
The Remington Spartan double rifle in 45.70!
Of course Big Green can't get their stuff together and actually get them on the market.

that could be really neat, damn it rem country, work it out!

Posts: 221 | Location: SEC | Registered: 15 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen and Ladies... I have only one fear about the Remington Spartan 45/70.
They are so inexpensive, so many of you Bolt Rifle Trash are going to buy one, see just how good and how much fun double rifles are to hunt with, that you will want to go to double rifles for all of your hunting, especially DG hunting.
The increased demand for double rifles will be so high it will be easier to buy an Hydrogen Bomb by mail order. Big Grin

If remington ever gets those 45/70's in the gunstore I may have to have one, because a 45/70 double rifle would be just about perfect for pigs deer even elk and moose in the thick. It would be a natural for black bear over bait as well. Might just be the perfect ATV double. thumb clap Big Grin

However I will warn you people now, once you go double.... you will never go back.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Gentlemen and Ladies... I have only one fear about the Remington Spartan 45/70.
They are so inexpensive, so many of you Bolt Rifle Trash are going to buy one, see just how good and how much fun double rifles are to hunt with, that you will want to go to double rifles for all of your hunting, especially DG hunting.
The increased demand for double rifles will be so high it will be easier to buy an Hydrogen Bomb by mail order. Big Grin

If remington ever gets those 45/70's in the gunstore I may have to have one, because a 45/70 double rifle would be just about perfect for pigs deer even elk and moose in the thick. It would be a natural for black bear over bait as well. Might just be the perfect ATV double. thumb clap Big Grin

However I will warn you people now, once you go double.... you will never go back.

I live within commuting distance of Butch's shop and that's killing me.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12595 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
FOR HOG HUNTING AND ,I HUNTED WITHETAILS IN PENNSYLVANIA TOO,ILL PREFER A MARLIN GUIDE GUN4570 NOT A BOLT ACTION BUT ITS HANDY AND NOT SO EXPENSIVE ,BOLT ACTION A SAVAGE SCOUT 308.JUAN

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6369 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fenring
posted Hide Post
Well he did say CHEAP, with open sights, so how about an old military Mauser?? 30/06, .308, 8mm, 6.5 Swede etc etc. All have heaps of clout for hogs and you can sometimes sort thru a pile of 'em to find a good one. Lots of options for customising too, if you want to. My hog guns tend to get knocked around, fall into mud, or when I fall off the motorbike etc etc. So no fancy XXXX grade walnut stocked sporter for me.

Fast hairy dogs ROOL!

Posts: 131 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
My Marlin 1895 45-70 or my remington 1903-A3 30-06 as issued with good GI peep sight.

Posts: 319 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
He is asking for a cheap open sights bolt action rifle....

I will reccomend you a CZ, a Rem model 7 or also a synthetic remington 700 with the blind magazine (this one is cheap and is a good tool), all of them in the 308 winnie.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cold
posted Hide Post
I got my dedicated pig gun form Marty at teppo jutsu

http://www.teppojutsu.com

below is a pic of the 2 hogs I shot one at 80 yards running, the other at 60 stand still, 2 shots to hogs, hits like the hammer of god too, corbon loads 300 HP, 400 grain RN and 600 grain sub sonics for it.

Posts: 221 | Location: SEC | Registered: 15 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy an NEF in 44 Mag. The rifle doesn't have the best trigger in the world, and it isn't a bolt action, but it is still quite a buy at roughly $250: it carries and balances well, and the 44 cartridge will do extremely well on pigs and whitetails out to 100 yards, maybe a bit further.
My experience is that seldom if ever do you get more than one shot at pigs that have been hunted before, so the single shot to me is no real drawback. One pop, one porker!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
"Big Bores for Big Boars"

I like that!

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Cheap is hard to define,but while looking online I saw several Mark X 375 H7H's for $400
Or a little less. That will Thump a Pig.
Gene

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Invader66,
where did you see those Mark X 375 H&H's at?

One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Guns of America

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club