Find
Notify
Tools

Dedicated pig gun?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
THE TEPPOJUTSU GUMS ARE AWESOME.I AGREE THAT SHOOTING ITS NOTHING MORE THAT ANOTHER MARTIAL ART AND IM A BLACK BELT AND OFFICIAL SHOOTING INSTRUCTOR.I BELIEVE JEFF COOPER HAS MORE EXPERIENCE THAT ANY OF US AND HE RECOMMENDS A COPILOT,OR A SCOUT ,HE SAID CHEAP ,SO THE GUIDE GUN AND THE SAVAGE SCOT WITH GHOST RING SIGTHS ARE JUST PERFECT.JUAN

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6369 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cold
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

Doubless,
you have an excellent point, I have a NEF handi in 45-70 and it is one of the best tickets around and it weighs less ton no nothing, well it does, but nothing like a lever 45-70 with a full tube, its also around 275 and is a very good hog thumper. the 458 SOCOM is essentially a 45-70, I just like having FAST follow up shot capablities because where I hunt hogs well, I always run into packs of them, not just solo specimiens.

Posts: 221 | Location: SEC | Registered: 15 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad Starcevich:
What whiteeagle said. I LOVE my Remington 673 in 350 Rem Mag for hogs. Buy if for hogs, and your set for everything else on the continent.
Best, Starcharvski.

Great rifle almost like packing a Marlin Lever action around .. light weight and quick to point
Besides you get to use pistol bullets .. .356 diameter to plink with ..and there cheap and fun to shoot

Martin

PA Bullets

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
I believe I am going to just try my 7.62x54 and if I run across a good 8x57 or 303 I might grab it or a 44 magnum rifle.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jarrod
If you already have the 7.62x54 just get some Soft Point hunting ammo, sight her in and give it a go. Which rifle do you have.
Is it a long bbl one or the short Chinese bbled one?
Does it have the folding bayonet?
What kind of groups does it shoot at 100 yards.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
I actually have no idea what kind of groups it shoots at 100 yds yet. It is the long bbl one

one of us
posted Hide Post
Better take it out and give it a try. Sometimes the "battle" sights on these war surplus bolt rifles hit very high at 100 yards.
If you get the rifle hitting good with hunting ammo, that "30 Russian Long" can do anything a 308/30/06 can do out to 250 yards or so.
Just be sure and use Soft Point ammo for hunting, not Military Ball.

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just be sure to use Soft Pointammo for hunting not Military Ball

Not to worry i've got more sense than that. I just hadnt really had a chance to get out and shoot the gun all that much.
I would grab one of my other rifles before I would go out hunting without not knowing how it really shoots.

quote:
Sometimes the "battle" sights on these war surplus bolt rifles hit very high at 100 yards.

I did shoot it some at like 50 yards and it was hitting high at 50 yards.
How high are you talking about?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorrod
You will have to shoot you rifle and see.
Many of these War bolt rifles have a 300 meter zero, putting you 5 to7 inches high at 100 yards. With hunting ammo it might be higher or lower.

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
How do I get them to shoot lower. Do I have to change the sights or what?

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
You have had many opinions but here are mine to add to the pot.

1. On your original criteria - cheap open sighted ideal pig rifle, a cut-down or Jungle Carbine, SMLE with original peep sights in .303 with ten shot magazine. Will kill any pig that is out there, fast to shoot and can be found at a reasonable price.

2. Not a bolt action, but my vote goes to a BLR in .308 with low powered scope in QD mounts. Fast shooting and handy. Mine is very accurate. Good with open sights or scope.

3. A double rifle in 9.3x74R, both with open sights and scoped.

Mate, your 7.62x54 sounds like it will kill pigs in the meantime. The long barrel might be a nuisance but give it a try. Good luck and good hunting. thumb

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jarrod
What other rifles do you have?

NitroX, You are correct, a scoped 9,3x74R Double is the BEST pig rifle on the Planet, probably in the whole Solar System. thumb Big Grin

one of us
Picture of cold
posted Hide Post
what about one of thoes Gibbs jungle carbines?

I dont have one, always interested in picking one up for fun, anyone have any knowdgle how they would be for a hog gun?

Posts: 221 | Location: SEC | Registered: 15 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:

What I have right now are
Mod 700, 243
Mod 70, 270
Mod 700, 300 RUM
12 gauge
50 cal muzzleloader
Others that I can use
Mod 700, 338
Win 30-30
Rem 7400, 270

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jarrod
Question? With those "store bought" sporters why are you concerned with a surplus hog rifle?
I would think the 270 with 150 bullets would be about perfect, and as an iron sighted rifle a 30-30 is perfect.
Just curious. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
I have just always wanted to hunt something with a surplus rifle.
With a hog I just figure if I dont get a shot at one, I will the next and if I dont get any shots I wont lose any sleep over it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jarrod
I can relate to that.
A SKS or an AK 47[with hunting ammo] would make a good hog gun too. I killed two deer with an AK 47.
For several years one of my favorite hunting rifles was a H&K 91. With it I have taken my second best deer[ it was my best for many years], and my second best antelope. It was my LUCKY rifle. I could hunt for a week and see nothing worth shooting. I get out the H&K, and bang.... Trophy taken.
It is all about fun.
If you can get your "Russian" rifle sighted in It will do the job.

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking an HK 91 would be great but mine had too short of a barrel and a bad muzzle break. You couldn't shoot it under a protected firing line for the concussion wave. I still use an M48 in 8X57 for a loaner and truck gun. Has a cheap tupperware stock to save the original wood. I think the man with the cash could find the CZ fullstock in 9.3 a fast and elegant shooter of pigs. Packy

One of Us
Picture of jocamp64
posted Hide Post
My vote is for the Mosin Nagant M38. Its handy and powerful. You don't have to worry about banging it around and mine loves the Sierra 180 .311.

"Untutored courage is useless in the face of educated bullets." George S Patton.

Posts: 38 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 20 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As 9.3 rifleman wrote CZ 550 in 9,3x62. It is a superb caliber for your intention.

Posts: 208 | Location: Prague, Czech Republic | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CZ:
As 9.3 rifleman wrote CZ 550 in 9,3x62. It is a superb caliber for your intention.

For cost .. your right it does seem to be the best buy out there and the only really diffrents is a few hunder feet pre sec/ of speed ..and the x62 is nothing to look down at ..

Martin

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
K 31
SKS

Have fun.

Posts: 117 | Location: MONTANA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Jarrod,

Here's a surplus hog gun for ya. Was an M48A in 8x57. I rust blued it, put it in a lightened JRS stock, hollowed out the butt, and built this knock off of the XS peep sight. It shoots about an inch with rem 185's and 2230C. Weighs just under 7 lbs. And cost me a bit over $150 including the rifle which was like new. Built it mostly as a truck gun so I went with irons so they wouldn't get knocked loose.

Here's my other surplus hog gun:

VZ24 .308 Win

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to Wal Mart and get one of the Savage combos-lots of choices in calibers too. And if you want to see what WM offers, go to their web site and check out special order rifles. Or, you could get a Stevens (a Savage w/o the accutrigger) and put a WM blister-pak scope on it for $300 or less. And oh by the way, the Savages are the most accurate out-of-the-box rifles from our American manufacturers.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Jarrod

NitroX, You are correct, a scoped 9,3x74R Double is the BEST pig rifle on the Planet, probably in the whole Solar System. thumb Big Grin

Don't know about that I saw a 444 Marlin double over and under, that one gets my vote.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
44 Mag. You can eat right up to the hole. Smoker1

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 868 | Location: NYS | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
Two perfect pig guns. A Marlin 336SS .30/30 and a Lee Enfield No5 Mk1 .303.

Very good for close range hogs as well...

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SwiftShot
posted Hide Post
I would go with a good lever action. An old 30-30 or a Savage 99 for a little more range. Hell I use a Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 Mag. Thats the least heavy option.

Posts: 433 | Location: Washington state USA  | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
9.3x62 with 3-12x56 Or a Marlin 444 with a Burris 1.75-6, now these are pig guns!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote