New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 H&H Hog Picture
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here are a couple of pictures of a hog I shot the other evening. The shot was at 40 yrds. with a 375 H&H, 300 grain Hornady RN at 2,550 fps. The bullet entered the neck and was stopped in the muscle of the opposite shoulder after penetrating the bone. The bullet was in two pieces and weighed 153 grains. I usually have very good results with this bullets staying together but this is the largest hog I have ever shot. He also was caked with hard mud and had a very thick shield.

I have no idea what he weighed. All I know is that it took two of us to roll him in the bucket of my tractor.

In the picure he is about 6" off the ground. I am 5'9" and weigh 215 lbs.

Posts: 125 | Location: Coalgate, Oklahoma | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to be crude cfore, but what you got ahold of in that first pic? Big Grin

And,nice hog--I'd guess over 200.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
dusoffer, I thought the same !!! animal

Nice pig, congrats thumb

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cfore
Baised on hogs I have weighed I would guess his at @275 Lbs.
A very nice pig no doubt.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
cfore -- damn good hog!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, I'm holding the opening where he was gutted. It does look pretty crude. Sorry, about that. Was having trouble finding a camera and only came out with two pictures. Didn't have many to choose from.

275 may be the correct weight. I've actually weighed many hogs between 225 and 275 and this hog was much heavier. Or maybe it could be that I'm getting older and they feel heavier. Smiler

Posts: 125 | Location: Coalgate, Oklahoma | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I'll see your 275# and say it's within 30# of that... Smiler

excellent hog!!

Cfore,
i find hornday bullets to be pretty soft... i do "smash" tests... i think it's more to relieve stress than to do anything scientic....

I hold bullets, in pliers, nose down, and whack them 3 GOOD hits with a 20oz hammer... Not to compare expansion, but to "FEEL" what they do...

I generelly "smash" 4 or 5 of a kind of a bullet, and then anther makers, right behind them...

for example, the speer 235vs 375 vs the hornady 225gr SP vs the hornady 220FP...

the speer is MUCH tougher than either, deforming less and opening in a controled fashion...

the 225gr h is a decent bullet, opens quick, then is controled

the 220gr fp... it wont take 5 good whacks with a hammer before totally pancaked

and the 300gr RN 375 is the same.. interestingly enough, the 416rn and the 458rn are FAR tougher than the 375 300gr

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice pig. By the way, that Hornady´s performance is somewhat poor, for my money. I shoot Speer´s 270 grainers at very much the same distance and never recovered one, even from bigger pigs.
Anyway, congrats again.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot lots of Speer Hot Core bullets with great success but I've never tried any of them in my 375. I thought the 270 boattails would be soft. Thanks for the infomation.

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Very nice piggie, cfore Big Grin

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NICE pig! And thanks for sharing the story and info ref the .375 RN Hornady as this is a favorite bullet of mine for general purpose work and plinking here in my stomping grounds.

jeffeosso,

Do you notice any difference between the old RN 300gr Hornady and the newest RN 300gr Hornady?

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote