New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanksgiving javelina
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
hunted with TXBOWHUNTER over the thanksgiving weekend!
the land is vast rugged terrain and everthing bites or sticks! rattlesnake infested ,lost of yotes and jackrabbits!
the morning I killed the javalinas ,I was running too late to get in the stand over a feed station,because I had to drop regi off.So I walked in slowly and quietly from a good vantage point.I could see that there were 2 javalina already there ,so I got in position and shot the sow {the bigger of the 2} from about 80 yards through the lungs with My .243. She made a circle and dropped, the other was gone! it is very sandy there so tracking was easy.I started following the tracks the boar had left ,he busted out of a brush pile and he got a texas heart shot from about 75 yards,he circled and made a run at me ,then killed over in a brush pile!
we saw an awesome muley buck and a few does as well ,but never had a good shot opportunity at the buck!
we also saw 8 rattlers and killed 6 of them !I killed 2 a diamond right at 4 foot with 15 buttons and a prairie 2 foot + with 10 buttons!
thanks for an awesome time TX! good fun with good folks!

me and javalinas.

diamondback rattler.

prairie rattler.

Posts: 37 | Location: N texas | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
just thought someone might enjoy looking at them! they sure eat good!

one of us
posted Hide Post
K Baboon: What's the point in asking a question like that?

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just because I like snakes. Just because I keep some at home like others have dogs or cats. Just because it's pointless to kill ANY animal to let it rot in the bush. Now if you eat them it's a different story.

Posts: 552 | Location: France | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cold
posted Hide Post
guess, you shoot the Javs with a 243, was it a one shot one kill deal or did the Javs linger, is it in your opinion very effective, im trying to decide on a 243 or a 270

Posts: 221 | Location: SEC | Registered: 15 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
baboon,I'm not offended! I also raised colubrids until last spring when I sold out my collection! I like all snakes just fine,but the land owner has asked that we eliminate some of the rattlers! there is no shortage there I asure you!
cold,I find that my .243 works just fine on most of the critters I hunt! the first one dropped ,the second one was pumped when I shot it,texas heart shot! {poop shoot}it ran about 30 yards and dropped!
GSP7 it was very cold I never even thought we would see a snake! I went back dec.10-12 there was ice on the windsheild ,but by 10 am they were moving plenty fast and seem to always be mad! the prairie rattlers were the meanest!
I have raised snake for years,even messed with rattlers till I had kids,but I've never seen them be as aggressive as they are out west!