New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Hypothetical Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Let's say a guy was going to lose vision in his right eye. Is it even feasible to fire a right-handed, bolt action, 300 WSM, sighting through a scope with your LEFT eye. If nothing else, it sounds unnatural as hell.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
IDK, i've seen other-eye dominate people shoot like that, though not very well. When I had an ATV wreck, and couldn't shoot right handed for a long time, I taught myself how to shoot left handed -slower and more awkward than right handed, but I could still hunt - used a 270 that season, for what it's worth

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of right handed, left eye dominate people! Yes they use right hand rifles and use their left eye. At one time left handed rifles did not hardly exist and were way more expensive. Modifying the stock can help and I have see custom rails. Its all a matter of what you learn to do!

Posts: 700 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a full-on lefty and shoot left-handed, left-eye, both rifle and bow. Grew up on RH bolt guns but when Ruger came out with the LH M77 I decided to try it. Lasted about a year--old habits were unbreakable for me. I do just fine with the RH bolt guns.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
Simple, learn to shoot left handed
You may find out, you’ll shoot just as well if not better
Old timer told me when I was a kid to learn both ways and since then I regularly shoot. Both ways

Nothing like standing over your own kill

Posts: 617 | Location: Wherever hunting is good and Go Trump | Registered: 17 June 2023Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kensco,

I'm also left handed and left eye dominant. I learned to shoot right handed guns and never really found it to be a problem.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If they lose vision in the right eye, you will move your head until you see the scope. Eye dominance only is an issue if you keep both eyes open.

Trying to shoot a RH gun RH with your left eye will be slow and uncomfortable, but doable (close your right eye and try it now)… recoil will be exaggerated. You will need a generous eye box on the scope or need to move it due to facial positioning, but I have done it…

Now, trying to shoot a shotgun or a non scoped gun will be impossible this way because of how you sight it.

Overall, it will be easier to learn to shoot from the left shoulder.

Posts: 10594 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Every now and then throughout my hunting career a situation has arisen which forced me to shoot from the opposite shoulder. Just think about what you're doing and it isn't a problem.

By the way, I normally shoot LH but all of my many bolt guns are conventional RH bolts. Again, not a problem.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all the information.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a couple pages about "cross over stocks " in Michael Yardley's book "Gun Fitting", looks like they would not be fun with much recoil, but I have no first hand experience.

Posts: 1068 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in an accident 12-7-2020 that resulted in the loss of my right eye. I've shot a lot in my life. Almost every day so I was devastated. It has taken a lot of practice but I'm decent with a shotgun now. We have excellent dove hunting in SD. Still working on the rifle aspect. I've bought left handed guns and autos. Very awkward yet but gaining confidence every time I shoot. I'd recommend a sweet 22 in Left bolt and cases of shells. I'm practicing in various shooting positions. My head doesn't tilt left like it does right. Unnatural feeling but I'm working through it. I bought a Tikka 22 to practice with. I also got a crossbow permit. I'm very lucky to be alive or not handicapped so I'm taking bucket list trips as much as time allows. Eventually scar tissue will set in.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ipankratz, thanks for sharing. I went in to get a new prescription for glasses last month and four referrals later discovered I had a malignant (choroidal) melanoma in my right eye. I had brachytherapy performed last Monday and will have the radiation plaque removed tomorrow.

I would recommend a full eye exam annually for anyone over 60; with dilation. It's rare, but it's real. Better safe than sorry.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Mate of mine has lost an eye and had his stocks modified so he can shoot them with the other eye. I'll see if I can get a photo of them.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7973 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
Ipankratz, thanks for sharing. I went in to get a new prescription for glasses last month and four referrals later discovered I had a malignant (choroidal) melanoma in my right eye. I had brachytherapy performed last Monday and will have the radiation plaque removed tomorrow.

I would recommend a full eye exam annually for anyone over 60; with dilation. It's rare, but it's real. Better safe than sorry.

Good luck with that Ken
It’s scary world out there after 60

Nothing like standing over your own kill

Posts: 617 | Location: Wherever hunting is good and Go Trump | Registered: 17 June 2023Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It has set-off a chain of medical tests. Since that melanoma is known for going to the lungs or liver, I have had MRIs and CT-Scans (W & WO Contrast) for my chest and abdomen, both clear. (The melanoma class (2) predicts I have a 50% chance of developing lung or liver cancer in three years, 75% odds in 5 years.) Upcoming MRIs for my brain and neck, and an MRI guided fusion biopsy for my prostate.

Medicare is a wonderful thing.

Won't learn until late January whether the radiation plaque worked on the eye. 95% chance that it does.

If I wasn't getting another MRI, I would just as soon be hunting hogs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I turn 46 in a month and have a lot of hunting ahead of me. Just about have my gun battery taken care of. 2 more to acquire. Like they say, practice makes perfect. Just picked up a 416 Rem for Africa and whatever else. It's no problem for me to shoot right handed rifles it's just awkward running the bolt. No problem on pg type animals but I'm going to be proficient on dg. Can't be fooling around w a buff or ele close at hand. It's also wide open in SD where I hunt. There are lots of times we bust deer and have to take running shots. Can't be waisting time there either. My kids can have the rest of my right handed guns.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Stock mod definitely required. My Dad did just that. Took a scallop out of the top of the cheek piece. Worked well. Right hander left eye dominant.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote