New
Find
Notify
Tools

The holy grail of hog rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
last week I was pursuing the local gun stores and lo and behold on the discount used rack there sits a pre 64 model 70 feather weight in .358 Win.

And in nearly NEW, PERFECT CONDITION!! Needless to say I grabbed the rifle and forearm shivered two little kids and an old lady on the way to the counter. The guy had no idea what he had and I didn't feel the need to educate him.

In any case on the way home I bought a couple of Lbs of H4895 some 225gr Noslers BTs.

I then had my buddy Ashley Emerson express mail me a rear ghost ring and front post and wala a hog hunting I did go.

That little bugger is the easiest carrying sweetest shooting little rifle I've ever messed with. And oh ya it didn't hurt my feelings that it shoots MOA either.

In any case hunting was a bit slow and I only killed two hogs one 150lber and a little ole 60 lb shoat. But preliminary results seem to indicate that the little .358 round is a true B/slapper. Both hogs went down with authority.

I think I'm going to like this little jewel. More reports to come.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a nice rifle. Also a little large for hogs. I use a 30 cal or a 284 cal. But it did kill them.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Surestrike....

You must be living right. Nice find.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Pics ?

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jro45:
Sounds like a nice rifle. Also a little large for hogs. I use a 30 cal or a 284 cal. But it did kill them.

jro45,

I usually shoot them with my .470NE. It ain't what you need in life, it's what you want.. Big Grin

Pictures to follow..

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
358 winnie is probably the best north american big game rifle, period.

i use 225 sierra game kings and win 748 powder

excellent find!!
jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38464 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been hunting Hogs and bears(you know that) for years with my little .358 for years no matter what I shoot ,bang flop, I shot a big hog and bear last year and bothe droped on the spot. I use 53 grns of 748 and .250 speers almost exclusively as I don't shoot beyond 100 yds.
A friend took his to Africa a few years ago and shot all manner of game with it. He used the.225 nosler partition with 54 grns of 748. Our rifles are BLR"s with 20 inch bbl.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot, go to sixgunner.com and read the articles by Paco Kelly and his use of the .358 win. very eye opening !

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are some pictures of this little beauty!! can you believe what kind of condition this thing is in? the bore is shiney, sharp and new looking as well.

Jeff, what kind of velocity are you getting with the 748 load and the 225 gr? I am using like 44grs of H4895 and am getting right at 2400FPS with a 225 gr BT.

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Nice pre-64 thumb

However the holy grail of hog rifles is my Heym Express .500 Jeffery. Big Grin

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine dropped by a few months ago and handed my son a Browning BLR 358 Winchester. The gun is a beauty. It was hardly ever used. The problem came when I went to "BUY" ammo for the gun. I'm not a handloader and it seems Winchester has ceased to load ammo for this caliber. I believe I searched most of North America and couldn't come up with a single box of the Winchester loaded ammo. I also contacted several custom loaders and they said winchester pulled the plug and no one I called even had brass. I realize it can be loaded from 308 brass but it seems to be a pain in the ass. This became a real let down in lightning speed. I'm still working on trying to buy the ammo as I'm not ready to hand load.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
winchester still makes ammo, once a year. call "american shooting center" in katy texas.. they have 3 boxes on the shelf.

i have (though i don't recommend it) fireformed 308 in 358, as it's the same headspace gage

send me that blr, and i'll send you a case or 2 of factory ammo.

On the 358 with 748, i get a hair over 2500 fps...

what a fantastic find on the pre-64.. i built a mexican mauser with kinda match that "function" ... it weighs 7#, no scope.

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38464 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JefferyDenmark:
Nice pre-64 thumb

Cheers,

André

Andre',

Not a bad choice for a light rifle Wink

.470 X 2 = .940 which is .440 "mo" better than a mere .500.. Big Grin

PS when are you coming over? Anytime between January 7th and September 1st is when I have hog hunting access on the ranch.

Bring that .500 we'll heat her up and put some pork in the freezer. beer

Greg

One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
.470 X 2 = .940 which is .440 "mo" better than a mere .500..

I like that!

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how about some more information on that sight system you have. nice rig.

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad,

The rear is an XS ghost ring large apature and the front is a white line sqaure post XS .400 hi.

I find this set up to be about the best comprimise between speed and accuracy available.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Damn nice rifle, surestrike. I recently picked up a Ruger M77 in .338 win mag and am itching to try it out on some hogs.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sure strike
thanks for the information
i just picked up a 1948 vintage model 70 in '06
and think your setup would be ideal
thanks again

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad,

You sure wouldn't be going wrong with that set up.

Witworth,

Nice rig for hogs. Please send some pics after you pop some hogs with that rifle.

Greg

one of us
posted Hide Post
After those pictures, you might as well go ahead and tell us you paid $350 for the rifle.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool Big Grin Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice !! you don't see stuff like that in Australia.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
OK.... What did you pay? And Jeffeosso, am I going wrong with Varget? It is supposed to be the cat's meow for the .308 case calibers. I still get bang-flop with the Remington bulk 200 gr from Midway. That's on whitetail. I have both pointed and RN. They come in handy for the two .358s and the Whelen. Wink Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am having very good luck with H4198 and the Nosler 225 BT or the Speer 220 FN. It is very decisive on hogs

Posts: 43 | Location: PW County, VA | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Damn, surestrike, let there be pork! What a great find. Well done, that man.

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very nice rifle. congratulations.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Foxfire, I believe that I still have some 358. I will check and PM tomorrow. Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Foxfire, I just sent you a PM. I have 2 boxes of 250 Grain Silvertip. They are in the Winchester yellow box with a large red W and marked super-speed.The boxes and ammo are as new. Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
Beautiful find! Are you sure it big enough? I always thought m single shot 375 H&H was a starting point for hog rifles.

riodot

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
surestrike

Nice find! What a sweet little rifle. I have a new Browning BLR in .358 win and i love it, its shoots sub MOA with the 200gr Hornady spire point a max charge of 51grs of Varget.

Foxfire- the .358 win really is a handloaders proposition but it is easy as hell to load for. Winchester 200gr sivler tips are in every gun store around me in northern New Jersey.Davis sporting goods in sloatsburg N.Y. have it on the shelf. Connolly precision also has a bunch of loads for the .358 win and they are cheaper than the Winchester load. Also check all or the mail order companys, Midway USA, lock stock and barrel, Grafs and sons, etc etc. Try the .358 its one awesome little cartridge.

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I've got the gunshop where the parents live looking for a 358 BLR in the new pistol grip model.

I'll be there in October and man I want one of those for hogs and black bear.

I am going to put a 1.75-6 or 2-7 on it.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cold
posted Hide Post
nice gun

what was the used price??

Posts: 221 | Location: SEC | Registered: 15 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Surestrike
I have killed hogs with the 44 Mag Revolver, 12 guage slug, 308, 300 Mag, 9,3x74R, 375 H&H, 450/400 3 1/4", and the 450 No2.
I hjave shot a LOT of hogs. Baised on that I consider your 358 Win a very good, no GREAT, hog rifle. The 358 is a real sleeper. It would be a great moose,elk, black bear rifle as well. I would not be afraid to hunt Brown Bear with one.
Any of the plains game I shot in Zim with my 9,3x74R could have been taken with a 358 Win.
A 358 in a Pre 64 Win is a true classic.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surestrike, what shop did you get that at? You can bet I'll be spending alot of time there waiting for that rifles brother to show up. Wink I got my Pre '64 30-06 for an old 303 Brit and 75 bucks.

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 58 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lapua
posted Hide Post
very BBM look m8 !

quote:
Originally posted by JefferyDenmark:
Nice pre-64 thumb

Cheers,

André

Cheers

lapua

Posts: 114 | Location: Australia | Registered: 10 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffery Denmark

While I have shot a bunch of Hogs with an ELEPHANT RIFLE, and really liked doing it Big Grin...

I still say the 358 Win is a most excellent pig gun. tu2

And a most excellent hunting gun in general, IMHO, of course.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
The holy grail of old threads...... Wink

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
I plan on testing my CZ 550 Full Stock on some hogs the first week of November. I'm thinking 250 grain Accubonds from my 9.3x62 should do the trick.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Surestrike, nice rifle! Now, would you like to continue torturing us by revealing the purchase price! Big Grin

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mississippian:
Surestrike, nice rifle! Now, would you like to continue torturing us by revealing the purchase price! Big Grin

This thread is more than five years old and surestrike may not have the rifle anymore......

Semper Fidelis