Tools

Re: California Guided Hog Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
Sevens,
<br />
<br />All the variables you ask for do not exist in a single hunt. The more fair chase the hunt the less there is going to be a "guarantee".
<br />
<br />I have hunted with four different guides in CA. By far the best is Kyler Hamann who posts here. Kyler will never tell you he is 100%. My succes rate with Kyler has been high and the quality even higher.
<br />
<br />I have had less than satisfactory experiences with others. If you want the details email me.
<br />
<br />If I was trying to make sure I got a hog, I would hunt with a buddy and go for two days with Kyler on his economy hunt towards late May or June. That would run you $350 each in hunting fees (2 days)plus $250 for each hog you take. You have to supply your own food and lodging.
<br />
<br />Much of hog shooting is first and last light...so I would not count on being able to eye over two or three groups of pigs each morning and evening it just really doesn't work that way.

Posts: 10079 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
I second Mike. The combination of things on your wish list are mutually exclusive. However, you can have a good number of them with a good guide. Kyler is great. Since you're in NoCal, you might check up the prices at Multiple Use Management who do the guiding at Grey Davis Preserve outside of Red Bluff. It is over you stated limit but they run a class operation and if you get driven to the ridge and then hike down you will definitely not be driving around! That country can be treacherous, especially after a good rain. The evening movement of hogs out of the canyons toward the ag-lands across the road has to be seen to be appreciated. It's like looking at the herds in the Masai Mara, for Pete's sake.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have a number or website for Kyler?

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10079 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I lived in Sacramento for just over 11 years and went hog hunting a few times but on public land. I alway heard that Tom Willoughby had a good outfit. There was also a ranch up by Redding that I herd has good success but can't remember the name of it.

I just got back from a hunt in Oklahoma that charged $100 per hog and $50 for lodging. Place was called the Chain Ranch. I shot a Black Hawaiian ram I just couldn't pass up.

Posts: 183 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote