Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First snared hog pics
 Login/Join

posted
Set out my snares on tuesday and caught a ~200lb sow on a trail set on Wednesday. Man, was she pissed when I walked up on her. Caught her by the snout. I have some pics, will post as soon as my wife is finished with the disk. We have a trapper running pen traps on our lease but he is not having any luck. Said he would have never caught that big sow in a pen trap. They are trap wise and hunting pressure has driven them nocturnal. These snares are the way to go. I was spending 2-3hrs on a stand over bait and not having much luck. I run my snares in the morning and I am back home by 8a.m. Hopfully more to come.

Posts: 11 | Location: Texas, then Alabama, now South Louisiana | Registered: 13 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
I look fortward to the pictures Smiler
You should hunt then at night with a Benelli M3 and a sure fire Big Grin I would love that.

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Catching hogs in snares is easy. Getting them out is hard. A few thoughts on snaring hogs:

1. Snares hurt hogs. Checking snares is the equivalent of following up a wounded animal.
2. As hogs get wise to snares, unsnared hogs may guard the snared ones and charge from behind or from your flank. Later in the day, unsnared hogs get tired and thirsty. When they leave, the snared hogs get desparate and may find the strength to break out and charge as you approach.
3. If you shoot a snared one, any others in nearby snares will freak out. They may break free and charge. Watch your back and flanks.
4. Approach from uphill if you can, forcing them to climb as they charge.
5. If possible, set the snares so the hogs can't turn to face you as you approach.
6. Life is more interesting when you snare a sow with piglets.
7. Be careful and use enough gun.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

posted Hide Post
Here is the pic I promised:

Posts: 11 | Location: Texas, then Alabama, now South Louisiana | Registered: 13 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Here is another one:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
was that sow pregnant??

Posts: 46 | Location: Down South but north of OZ | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wet sow.

Posts: 117 | Location: MONTANA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
not my cup of tea or within my ethics....

in africa,if you are caught with a snare, you are shot...

about the only way *I* would use a snare is in a survival situation

and yeah, it's a wet sow, so an indescriminate snare took the sow, and several "footballs"

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38596 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am with you Jeffe.

Roland

posted Hide Post
This sow was not pregnant and she had no little ones with her when I caught her. I did catch two little ones a week later in the same area, about 25-30lb each. The area I trap in South Louisiana is so overrun with hogs it is ridiculous. We are required by lease rules to kill EVERY hog we can no matter what size. 3000 acres 14 paying members and we killed 1 eight point buck this past year, but everyone killed hogs. Cage traps aren't working, landowner will not let us run dogs, they hit bait only at night and we are not allowed to night hunt so right now snares are the most effective and efficient method of controling a very prolific and destructive nonnative species that just happens to be very tasty. To quote my wife "If a deer and hog walk out, shoot the hog."

Jeffeosso and Roland1

I share your concern with the ethical issue of snares. I have been snaring for a long time and have never caught a nontarget animal. Just like any other aspect of hunting/trapping, snares if abused by poachers and those lacking respect for target and nontarget animals, snaring will get a bad name. Baiting is considered unethical in some areas, in others it is considered necessary. Same with snares.