Find
Notify
Tools

Saturday's Hog
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted
This is my 13 year old with a hog he shot on Saturday. His gun is a peep-sighted FN 30-06. He shoots a 173 grain Beartooth Bullet pushed by 36 grains of 3031. The shot placement was perfect; right shoulder, heart, left shoulder, exit. He was VERY pleased with himself.

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Excellent!

Congratulations to you and your son.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
He is pleased as he should be!! Congratulations to you and your son! You must be very proud! beer

That is a fine hog!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Very good, congrats. I can't think of anything that isn't perfect about that. Kinda makes you want to take a kid hunting. Lots of good fun and memories there.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
darn good porker!

Bob

Posts: 2989 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 12 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to your son and his dad!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 450/400:
This is my 13 year old with a hog he shot on Saturday. His gun is a peep-sighted FN 30-06. He shoots a 173 grain Beartooth Bullet pushed by 36 grains of 3031. The shot placement was perfect; right shoulder, heart, left shoulder, exit. He was VERY pleased with himself.

As well he should be.

Great stuff, good lookin' young man.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
When my nephew started deer hunting at about age 12, I handloaded some 170gr 30-30 bullets for his 308, and I used 3031 powder. Can't remember the charge, but it gave right at 30-30 ballistics.

I enjoyed the load so much that I made some for myself. The kid got two deer that first season with them, a doe and a long-spiked buck.

Plesant loads, like those in your 30-06, and very effective.

KB

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
great on you!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39680 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kabluey--I don't believe you. You have to use a .223 to kill a deer.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention that he's my handloading buddy and we built the cartridges together. He's ready to go back next weekend and do it again.

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
As I mentioned, I was using 3031 in the 308, which filled the case OK, and the loads weren't reduced very much.

Later I discovered H4895 youth loads per Hodgdon, which I feel more comfortable with in the 30-06. They say reduced to 60% of max is OK, but there is no need to go that low. So anywhere between 60% reduction and max is good. The nice thing about H4895 is as the kid grows and matures (which will be too quickly), you can just add more powder, up to max, change to another bullet, and soon enough regular ammo.

Also they say any std load (per the manual) using H4895 can be used with up to 60% reduction, so you are not limited to the light for cal (varmint) bullets. Std 30-30 bullets work well, since obviously they are designed and tested over a very long time for that "magic envelope".

The reason I would choose H4895 over 3031, besides what Hodgdon says, is because I got some hang-fires once using reduced loads with 3031. Once was enough. So I'll use it in the 308, but not the 30-06. Case capacity matters with powder choices for reduced loads, with powder not specifically designed for such use.

There is an IMR powder, designed for reduced loads for rifles, SR4759, which has worked great in those cartridges I've tried it.

BTW, IMO, you just can't do better for a kid's starter rifle for deer and hogs, than the combo you show. I think a softnose 170-175gr 30 cal bullet at about 30-30 vel is close to perfection for such use, and fun for adults too. Within 150 yds, I would use ammo like that with no reservations, except the powder as mentioned. My second choice would be using the 150gr 30-30 bullet in reduced loads for the 06 or 308.

You might find it interesting that the old fashioned 8x57 170gr US loads practically duplicate your 30-06 load and factory 30-30 ballistically. Nice managed recoil deer or hog ammo.

KB

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H48...%20Rifle%20Loads.pdf

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really nice hog, good looking rifle, great looking young man. Congrats.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
The load is in the middle of the range from my Lyman book, and based on one pig, I'll keep using it.

I already have a "lights out" load for that rifle using H414 and 165 grain Remington Core Lokt. He shoots both, but likes the cast becasue he "can't even feel the kick" when he's hunting.

We're going out again this weekend and based on the fact that I'm getting 500 pictures a week on that camera of pigs and deer, he'll likely get to shoot something two weeks in a row. I don't know who's more excited about Saturday's hunt.

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 450/400:
The load is in the middle of the range from my Lyman book, and based on one pig, I'll keep using it.

Super. You have a resource that I haven't - the Lyman book. That's reassuring. Sometimes people interpolate a load, and that's what I was cautioning about. Those hang-fires I had with 3031 were really spooky. I never did figure out exactly why they happened - could have been that batch of primers, but I pulled those unfired, and didn't do that again.

Congrats again.

KB

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
450/400: Your son put that cast pill exactly where it needed to go. May he enjoy a lifetime of accurate shot placement.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Good times. I don't think you could wipe that smile off his face.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Looks like a decent sized pig!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
Live post from the field. Holt struck again about 30 minutes ago. Shot a doe, DRT.

One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
And here is the happy hunter, again.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Nice work!! beer

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations 2X to Holt.

Posts: 272 | Location: North Carolina,USA | Registered: 17 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
That is absolutely awesome. Congrats to BOTH of you... tu2 tu2

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9406 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry I missed this post for so long!

You'll have to bring the young nimrod with you mate. tu2

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Good on the both of ya! Does me god to see someone taking a kid hunting. Our deer/gun season opens tomorrow, hopefully Ill have a story of my own to tell about my daughter. Congrats to you both again!

Posts: 141 | Location: FL to WV | Registered: 06 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Congrats to the young man!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
CONGRATULATIONS TO YOUR SON ,AND NICE FN ,THEY ARE AMONG THE BEST MAUSERS EVER MADE.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well done, that is some good shooting.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote