New
Find
Notify
Tools

In The Line of Fire?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys and gals, what do you think of the safety violations in this video? Don't know a thing about it--just one of those things that showed up in my in-box.

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a276/dustoffer/hog%20...nt=Charging_Boar.flv

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of brian simmons
posted Hide Post
damm straight

brian r simmons

Posts: 186 | Location: nj | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Dustoffer, I can't view the video. It's asking me to log in as you.......

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
I have watched that video over and over and it sounds like 5 shots were fired, maybe 6. The hog was stopped from doing any serious bodily harm to anyone which was clearly his intent. What would you want your hunting companions to do in a situation like that? Hold fire until the hog was done re-routing some of your veins and arteries for you? As near as I can tell the only injured party was the hog and I think that was the object of the exercise.

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Well...it was hard for me to see angles etc...so I don't know what the shooters were seeing...or what they thought the angles were...my big issue is the two shooters that are out of control...stumbling around with obviously loaded firearms

What is required is constant communication and updating of the plan...such as okay...we are now on a steep hillside and only one of us should shoot, the closest man steps forward and everybody else steps back or Fred is the only one with a pisol that can really maneuver so Fred is the designated shooter...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
It's sure not the ideal situation from a safety stand point but things get really crazy in an instant when a wounded boar tries to get even.

I guess they should have stuck closer together but they weren't terribly opposed. It's way too easy to judge while sitting at a keyboard, that was a wildly dynamic situation with serious consequences from several fronts.

Mike makes some great points.

Often in situations following up wounded boars I'd rather go alone. Not only to keep the clients safe but I've found it's really hard to keep a group of people quiet enough not to either spook off the wounded animal or give away your location and provoke a charge. That's where communication will get you in trouble.

I've been in several situations where wounded boars invited themselves into our group like the video. But none of those situations have resulted in a close call from a shooter. My closest calls from being shot have been from people in otherwise relaxed situations not being careful enough and/or not knowing their equipment.

Overly casual loading and unloading of chambers with the gun pointed at someone in the group or the ever-present shells in the chamber when the safety may or may not be on (or functioning properly) are where I see most bad situations.

(Notice the first shooter in the video look down at his gun before the first shot. That hesitation can get someone hurt when milliseconds count. Practice, practice, practice.).

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Still can't get the video to play. Will someone please clue me in as to how to view it? I would greatly appreciate it!

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Whitworth, If you can't click on the link and get there try to copy and paste the URL into your address bar.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree--we are sitting at the keyboard and not in the heat and excitement of the moment. However, it is still an object lesson in how things can go wrong quickly when one of mother nature's critters gets riled up. Mike is right--got to have a plan.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Alan,

You actually need two plans becuase as you know in "combat" the first plan usually goes to sh*t in a hurry...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike--remember that last night? You in front with the light, jeffe next with the rifle, and me behind in the shorts and snake boots? I spent a lot of time admiring the mesquites and sizing them up in case I had to climb one.

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Cool !!!

The pleasure of hunting animals that hunt back.... Cool Big Grin thumb

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Alan,

You did a fine job...I was counting on you to evac my fat arse out of there...

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
The fellow who was in front and who had the best shot...and couldn't get his rifle to fire was the one rolling down the hill....good gun handling when the boar started up the hill would have made for a less interesting video.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
When I click on the link, it shows me a photo of two guys standing on a hillside. When I hit play on the toolbar bellow it, nothing happens. I'm getting frustrated here as I want to see the video clip!

Semper Fidelis

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Okay, it's working now. That's a pretty big beast and it looks intent on doing them bodily harm.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
My dad e-mailed me this video this morning. I think the guy rolling down the hill is lucky he didn't get shot. I think they went about it completely wrong. I understand that it's different when you're actually in the situation but the guy really should have just stood his ground and finished it right there at his feet. I do know (from a friend's experience, not mine) that if you can't do anything else, you can kick a pig VERY hard in the face and it will at least stop him from nibbling on your shins for a few seconds until you can get a bullet into him or climb a tree. In this case, there were no trees large enough to climb, but I just think it would have benefited everyone for the guy in front to stand his ground. Although he might have also been worried about the guys behind him shooting as well. Hard to know for sure from the video. Just my $.02

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
I've watched this thing about a hundred more times and watched it frame by frame and nobody was ever in harms way. It sure looks like it at normal speed but at least it had a happy ending for all the two legged creatures. Kinda like watchin "Larry, Moe and Curly hunt boars"

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Horseshoe ambush on a Hog?

This is a VERY nice video of how NOT to do it.

The front guy (we'll call him fallguy), if you watch the progression FALLS down before the shooting starts. He appears to either cross before the pistol popping (about 1/4 second before) or he losses his balance and falls. everyone is lucky he isn't shot here

the pistolpopper is out of control. 5 shots total from PPP (pistol popping pal) in 2.5 seconds. 4 of them "guided" in the direction of the fallguy.

fallguy.
somehow winds up in front of a known hot pistol, in a hot scene, and does maintain a decent amount of control. While PPP has already hammered out 4 rounds, he aims square at the pig, and fallguy and PPP both get off a round, ending the pig. Yeah, and while fallguy's rifle appears to be aimed more or less directly at PPP.

what a fustercluck, the best thing I can say about the results is that it appears no one was shot in that exchange.

As Alan said, Mike on the Left, Jeffe on the right, and Alan's pistol was holstered.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39590 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Funny story. Yesterday, I e-mailed this video to a buddy of mine that I hunt pigs with out at our lease. This morning he sent me the following e-mail:

Wade,
After you sent me that charging boar clip I got fired up about catching a pig. I took Ringo and Billy out to one of the ranches I run here in Llano County. This is their first time out on a pig hunt together. I drove up on a tank and there was about an 80 or 90 pound sow there. I unloaded them and sent them after her. They caught up to her and got her stopped within about 200 yards. When I got there, they had her bayed and wouldn't let her go anywhere, but wouldn't catch her either. She was charging at them so I knew she would charge at me if I got close enough. Therefore, I found a big stick and walked up to her. Sure enough she charged me just like in the clip. The difference was I did not turn tail and run, or shoot wildly. What I did was give her the hardest lick she has ever taken right across the bridge of the nose with my stick. It turned her and Ringo got ahold of her then. After that I stuck her with my knife and Billy came in and chewed on her a little. Pretty good training for Billy. He may make a dog. I have a new pup as well. It is one of the pups Jed raised. I am hoping he will turn out to be my catch dog. His name is Ike.
Talk to you later,
Jay

I just thought ya'll might get a kick out that little story.

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Who won the somersault contest the man or the hog ?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Oh, it was most definitely the hog. Did you see how many times that thing rolled? Eeker And it was still very much alive because if you turn the volume up, you can hear that sucker sqealing like crazy the whole way down. He was just immobalized. I wish the video kept playing for a little longer.

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
The guy that went down was very lucky!!!
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote