New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas pig numbers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It would seem with all the rain we have had this year that pig numbers will be way up. The grass is very high and the ground soft for better rooting and lower mortality.
I have a contact in the exotic business who says the exotics are "Hammers" this year due to the favorable range conditions. I assume this will mean good things for porkers as well.
If we could have an early freeze then a high wind to knock the plants down for visibility---this fall/ winter will be good fun for pig & deer. In the mean time the chiggers are killing me every time I get in the field.

I'm ready, Capmed

Posts: 208 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 14 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As far as I know, pigs are so prolific weather, at least in Texas, has minimal effect on their numbers.

Re: Chiggers or red bugs as we grew up calling them. This is no BS and absolutely works. Carry some rubbing alcohol around and if you are exposed wipe down your legs with it, applied with cotton, a napkin, or even just your hand if necessary, and they're dead and gone. You could use good drinking whiskey but I save that for snake bite....

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
You are right, we are in for a great deer season! As far as the pigs, they are a major problem and their numbers keep growing regardless.......

I am going hog hunting in two weeks and can't wait.

G-Thanks for the tip. That's a field trick I wasn't aware of!

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You do not have to believe this, but it will be easy to try out.
Before you go in an area infested with chiggers,start bathing with Gold Dial soap at least 2 weeks before.
No other color of Dial is effective.
I discovered this more than 40 years ago and still keep it up.
Several friends and relatives have been upset when we went to the same place, they were eat alive and at worst, I had a few of the varmints.
It does not stop all, but at least 95% improvement.
Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Didn't know about the Dial soap used to use homemade lye soap works the same.

one of us
Picture of Hauptjager
posted Hide Post
For Chiggers I like powdered sulfur. You stink like hell but I don�t itch when I get home. Say anyone got a place to hunt hog around Dallas or Tyler area that won�t cast me an arm and a leg to hunt?

Posts: 153 | Location: Hilo, Hawaii | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
pig numbers are up... that is to say, the NUMBERS are probably fairly level, but the SIZE will be up due to forage.

for chiggers... ya'll aint from around here are ya?

there's ONE one time solution for them... paint the "bite" (which is a bug under your skin) with clear figner nail polish... this kills them.. 3 days later you have a "white head" just like an ant bite.

jeffe

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote