New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions About Wild Boar Meat
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have some questions about wild boar meat. Long ago a friend got a boar and I had a barbecued boar burger and it was good. You have to think though that it was pretty much seasoned up. As to the other cuts from boar, such as ham, ribs , roasts, and chops....how to do compare in taste and flavor to domestic pig? I've been told if you're going after the meat just go for the sows. Is that true? How much meat would one expect off a big Russian boar? Will appreciate any answers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have butchered seveal big boars over 250lbs the 2 biggest being over 300 lbs. I weighed one and it took my 300lb scale past 300 lbs so I thein it was at least 330, maybe 340 lbs.

I have also shot boars that were in the rut and they smelled very bad. VERY BAD.

I gutted, skint, and butchered all of them, and I have never had a bad one.

My favorite sized hog is boar or sow between 225 and 275 lbs.

They have lots of meat, and I can handle them by myself.

I put myself through school as a Butcher, so when I say I much prefer wild pig to store bought pork, you can consider the source.

I have never found one part of a pig to taste worse than other parts.

Pig Boar "Oysters" fried up are very good.

I prefer wild pig meat to deer, antelope, elk, caribou and moose.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's what I wanted to hear NE.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
250 lb pig will weigh about 125 lbs at "butcher hanging weight";i.e., no head, no hide, no guts, legs copped at the knees.

I am sorry I don't recall how much is lost in bone and unuseable gristle.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
about 1/3.. of which most of the meat is in the hams, shoulders, backtraps

smell the meat .. if it smells good, it will eat good... if it smells like urine and lockerroom, its not really going to be fit to eat...

i prefer 100-150# sow to most game meat... except nilgai and blackbuck doe ... eland comes in there pretty good

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39673 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some really good information guys. Sounds like if I want a mountable trophy I should shoot a big old boar with nice tusks. If I want good eating meat go for the smaller pigs and preferably the sows.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I have never had a bad one...so shootem all Big Grin

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Be careful because it has a high Dihydrogen Monoxide content.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Yes and being immersed in it for something like 6-10 minutes can lead to death

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shoot the biggest nastiest looking, bad attitude
boar you get a chance at. IF he's got tusks, you're way ahead but, don't worry about that part either. IF they've been broken off even at the gums it's no big deal as when they're mounted the real teeth are not used anyway. They're replaced with plastic one's. As ivories and teeth etc will dry out and crack, break off. You don't want that on a $600-800 wall mount very bad. The real tusks are nice to fondle, mount on a plaque and such.

Far as the meat goes: It's just like any other animal. Kill 'em properly, take care of 'em right away, in hot weather: do that much faster & get it on ice. Cook it right and you'll have great chow.
Have fun, good luck at it.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6017 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I have never had one taste bad and I kill quite a few of them every year. I find it better than domestic hog, but it is considerably leaner and care must be taken not to dry it out when cooking.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wild boar is being mounted by the Wildlife Gallery with his real tusks. Just needs a little care. Who want fake tusks??
W.Smiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woodsie:
My wild boar is being mounted by the Wildlife Gallery with his real tusks. Just needs a little care. Who want fake tusks??
W.Smiler

I do when the alternative is cracked tusks! LOL!

Looking forward to seeing the end result!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
I have never had one taste bad and I kill quite a few of them every year. I find it better than domestic hog, but it is considerably leaner and care must be taken not to dry it out when cooking.

How do you keep them from coming out dry, Being they are so damn lean to start with. I need some secrets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodsie:

Come back to us and tell your thoughts in about 2-5 yrs from now. I'll just bet they tried to talk you out of that, if they didn't, they're not doing their job properly is all I can say.
Dad's bear, my coyotes and bobcats, gray fox were all mounted in the 60-70's with real teeth. Not a damned one of them is any good right now., The bear is as near toothless as it could be. Come take a look!
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6017 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was told one time by a Taxidermist, that the only real teeth they recommend using in an open mouth mount is on a javelina.

I have also been told that if you fill up wild boar tusks with epoxy, they are less likely to crack apart.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im not wirried and i Know i am not the only one who uses real tusks. There are many ways to care fir them. Fake tusks are as bad ad fake boobs. Just my opinion.
WSmiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodsie:
Couple questions of you if you don't mind.

How old are you? No it don't pertain, just curious.

How many taxidermy mounts do you have and how long have you had them?

How much hunting have you done?
How many girl friends have you played with?
Ahhh ha! Let's see how you respond to these now.
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let's see. I have a trophy room that has over 45 mounts, but many of those are duck mounts, as I have almost collected all the ducks in north America.(4 left out of 32. I have a full body alligator, ibex, and bear, and my mt lion full body should be here tomorrow from phil soucey I have shoulder mounts of deer and a oryx. I have a euro mount of an axis and a gold metal audoud. Iam currently booked till 2015 with mt goat, nilgai and hog, mule deer and elk with Aaron Nielson, and then coastal bc grizzly bear. I have never shot anything behind a fence or that wasnt completly free range.
I am a lousy shot but I like to shoot a lot.
Ok. Your turn.
Btw. No need to get pissy with this. It was just my opinion on tusks.
W. dancing

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
There's nothing wrong with plastic tusks.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am glad you like them. tu2
Remember, it's just some guy on the internets opinion
W.SmilerSmiler

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Not really. This is my forum, and everyone is entitled to my opinion.

JUST KIDDING! jumping

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What was used, say, a hundred years ago? I see a lot of mounts from that era and none of the teeth have split or cracked. Was there some "secret" prep that they used or did they whittle them out of elephant ivory and stain them?

Oxon

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doubledown:
quote:

How do you keep them from coming out dry, Being they are so damn lean to start with. I need some secrets.

If you're grilling the meat, don't cook it over done. Get one of those digital cooking themometers with a remote probe. Thery're about 15 bucks. Stick the probe in the thickest part and don't let the meat get over 150 before you pull it off. It will go up another 4-5 degrees as it rests and any hotter than that and it will dry out instantly. You get the hang of it after a few trys and can put the technology away.

If you're smoking it you just have to go slow like any other lean meat.

Jeff uses baking bags and cooks them for hours like a pot roast. A crock pot or dutch oven will do the same.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks tiggertate, I'm making some wild boar for Easter and don't want to screw it up. The bags sound like a good idea, anything to keep the moisture in. What about using Bacon fat on the meat? This hog is crazy lean.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks tiggertate, I'm making some wild boar for Easter and don't want to screw it up. The bags sound like a good idea, anything to keep the moisture in. What about using Bacon fat on the meat? This hog is crazy lean.

I finally gave up cooking them conventionally because of the drying-out problem (I'm not that good a cook, I guess) and started using bacon or slices of lard. It changes the flavor a little but in a good (in my opinion) way and is better than a dry hunk of meat. Use toothpicks to hold the bacon/lard on the meat while cooking.

Oxon

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
quote:
quote:

If you're grilling the meat, don't cook it over done. Get one of those digital cooking themometers with a remote probe. Thery're about 15 bucks. Stick the probe in the thickest part and don't let the meat get over 150 before you pull it off. It will go up another 4-5 degrees as it rests and any hotter than that and it will dry out instantly. You get the hang of it after a few trys and can put the technology away.

If you're smoking it you just have to go slow like any other lean meat.

Jeff uses baking bags and cooks them for hours like a pot roast. A crock pot or dutch oven will do the same.

Well said. That is what I was going to suggest, you just cannot over-cook the meat. This meat also does well in a crock pot.

Semper Fidelis

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oxon:
What was used, say, a hundred years ago? I see a lot of mounts from that era and none of the teeth have split or cracked. Was there some "secret" prep that they used or did they whittle them out of elephant ivory and stain them?

I really don't know. I have seen mounts done with the real tusks crack and it isn't pretty. I know it seems sacriledgious to use plastic, but if the taxidermist is any good, the end product shouldn't leave you wanting.

The mount I posted above is a pretty high-end piece of taxidermy, and I really don't think I would be happier knowing the teeth are real. But, everyone is different.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that the living conditions surrounding wild hogs will reflect on how the meat taste. I have taken some nice young 125 pounders that some undocumented migrant farm workers (wetbacks) would not eat. Said the meat stunk worse on the inside than outside. I have taken a sow in Mexico that was well over 400 lbs. that was excellent eating. Plenty of green foods and good water along the Rio Grande. So go figure. When a pig lies around in stagnate water and eats whatever he can find and drinks that stagnate water, it has to reflect on what the meat tastes like.
I have to agree with the fake tusks, it is like fake boobs, fun to rub and play with, just don’t look right.

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swifter 220:
I have to agree with the fake tusks, it is like fake boobs, fun to rub and play with, just don’t look right.

I have a skull on my desk here, and the mount I posted above, and I defy anyone to tell the difference between the real teeth and the plastic ones. Don't confuse low-end taxidermy with good taxidermy. I can tell you with some certainty that the real teeth are rarely used in taxidermy.

I think this topic may deserve its own thread.

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wild Boar is ALL GOOD LOL!!! if you care for it properly it is like fine dining. Ive had countless people tell me they can tell whether they are eating wild vs domestic especially if its a boar. I can say this much MANY have tried and ALL have failed LOL!!!

About the tusk situation in mounts in Hawaii NONE let me say this again NONE of the mounts is done with fake tusk. Unless specifically asked for which is very few and VERY far between, in fact ive heard of guys doing it but never seen one hear. The only ones ive ever seen crack were with guys trying to do thier own. Ive got mounts alot older than I am and none has cracked in fact they look like the day they were caught.

In my lifetime ive seen thousands of boarhead mounts in Hawaii and none that I can remember ever had a fake tusk or cracked. I guess im in the minority.

Hey whitworth i'll take you up on that challenge what do I get if I win LOL!!! Take care my friend and Happy HUnting!

Aloha Dom

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whitworth/Dom:

I've never seen anything mounted from Hawaii. Could be there's chemical difference's over there from the mainlands.
This blackbear Dad killed here in CO was mounted as a rug, open mouth, real teeth by Jona's Brothers in Denver in '64 I think it was.

Those days, Jonas brothers were the worlds best taxidermists from what everyone claimed. Their operation in Seattle mounted his moose, & caribou from AK in '67. Bugs got onto the top of the moose head and chewed most of the hair off. Otherwise everything is still in fine condition.

The coyotes (4) I had tanned and two rugs made, one with plastic other natural have ALL rotted away because of "do it yourself tanning" process at home, or local taxi shop.
Same thing with the gray fox and beautiful bobcat rug I had made up with natural teeth. All these have trashed long ago.

I've seen many hundreds of mounts and every single one that's had natural teeth, have all been cracked, fell out and/or broken off.

This is what I tried to avoid in Fla on these hogs. "Tannery tanning, plastic teeth." Got the plastic teeth, backyard tanning that cracked at the mouths, eye's and ears within TWO months of getting them.

I'm still awaiting word from VISA whether they're gonna refund my money or not.
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UltraMag:
Wild Boar is ALL GOOD LOL!!! if you care for it properly it is like fine dining. Ive had countless people tell me they can tell whether they are eating wild vs domestic especially if its a boar. I can say this much MANY have tried and ALL have failed LOL!!!

Aloha Dom

not being argumentative, but i can ALWAYS taste, and usually prefer, feral pork to commercial.. heck, farmyard is better than commercial ..

i can smell/tell if the COMMERCIAL bacon or sausage was a boar by the smell .. that's why its cheap

but, then again, i am a certified beer judge, so subtle flavors, or not so subtle, are in my palette..

my wife can tell, every time, when she smells it cooking, if it was commercial, wild sow, or boar. when i say everytime.. we eat alot of it, and she's right more than 80%

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

Not taken that way at all!

I would love to have your input I think that be cool.

I've had cert. Wine tasters try n tell me the diff but couldn't I'm not sure how diff. Wine n beer is though.

I prefer wild over domestic as well.

Have a great day,

Dom

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What's the humidity like in Hawaii ? The same all year ?
My parents had a cabinet from Hong Kong solid wood no plywood .In the moist NYC summer it was OK but come the dry winter it cracked badly !Could that be the problem with cracking teeth ??

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Dom,
thanks for understanding .. and i really do prefer feral to commercial .. a lot.. there's no taste in the commercial stuff

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

not being argumentative, but i can ALWAYS taste, and usually prefer, feral pork to commercial.. heck, farmyard is better than commercial ..

i can smell/tell if the COMMERCIAL bacon or sausage was a boar by the smell .. that's why its cheap

He's right, there is a difference.
Since I have been farming my backyard the last few years, I can't stand store bought meat. My chicken bears no resemblance to the watery junk in the store. My eggs don't give me gas like industrial eggs produced by the same breed. My neighbor's pasture raised beef and pork is as superior to the industrial product as my chicken is. I didn't think I liked sausage until I started making my own. What your food eats makes a big difference.

The wild pork I brought home from Texas was my favorite wild meat.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hawaiian_Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swifter 220:
I think that the living conditions surrounding wild hogs will reflect on how the meat taste. I have taken some nice young 125 pounders that some undocumented migrant farm workers (wetbacks) would not eat. Said the meat stunk worse on the inside than outside. I have taken a sow in Mexico that was well over 400 lbs. that was excellent eating. Plenty of green foods and good water along the Rio Grande. So go figure.

Your experience mirrors mine here in the islands. The drier leeward sides of islands tend to have different vegetation and food than the wetter windward sides so the diets of pigs will vary from location to location , and so will the taste. The saying "you are what you eat" applies to pigs as well. 30 years ago I lived on the dry Kona side of the Big Island of Hawai'i The pigs there were full of ticks and ate allot of fern and other strong smelling plants which made them taste pretty bad regardless of size like they were drinking creosote. We'd rather drive 3 hours to hunt the other side of the island in Laupahoehoe where the pigs lived an easy life with plentiful food mostly fruits like banana-poka a type of sweet passion fruit. These pigs were tick free too.

Later on I lived on Maui, and same story. I lived in Kula on the leeward side of Mt. Haleakala. There was great pig hunting just minutes up the road from me but these pigs also fed on ferns, and other herbivorous plants which made even the little pigs taste super gamey. If I wanted great eating pigs I drove 2 hours to Kaupo on the wetter side of the island. These pigs too were living an easy life feeding on wild avocados, mango, guava, etc. with food so plentiful they never had to travel far. These pigs were very fat for being wild pigs. They tasted sweet, and the belly meat was fat just like domestic bacon with no gaminess that wild fat can many times have. My biggest boar was over 300 pounds shot at Kaupo, and it was the sweetest tasting and most tender pork I had ever eaten. In my 40+ years hunting pigs I found that size not as important as diet as far as taste goes. My 2 cents.

ILLEGITIMUS NON CARBORUNDUM

Posts: 158 | Location: Moku Manu, Hawai'i | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have cooked alot of pork, some being wild, and had a great opportunity to butcher and prepare some tasting menus using heritage breed pigs when I was living in the hudson valley in NY.
Recently I went on my first pig hunt and we brought back a few hogs, It immediatly reminded me of the hertige breeds, flavor, smell and texture, Fat content will obviously be diffrent.

If you every have the opportunity to try some of this type of pork I highly recommend it.

My personal favorite was the osabow breed, heavy fat cap and the fat has the same composition as olive oil.
Matt

Simply, Elegant but always approachable

Posts: 354 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too shoot them all when I get the chance
but just drool over the little 12-20 pounders.
shot in the head and dressed whole, the bag comes into play here and a slow roast in the oven.
Split the bag and twist the bones out....
betcha can't eat just one

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote