Notify
Tools

Meet my blue eyed baby
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

a future hog finder and stopper!!

I stopped this one this morning.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Wow, Larry! You are on a roll! That is one heck of a slab of bacon! You've got some big hogs there!

Hard to imagine that little puppy will be givin' 'em hell before you know it!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, you ARE on a roll. That is a great puppy and another good hog. Heckuva deal.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marko and Sharps thanks very much for your kind remarks.

Right now that little puppy is giving me hell...ah puppies, what a joy. The real danger right now is that the Mrs. might become too attached and I'll have another house dog. Frowner

Guys we have been on a roll, I can't remember when we have run into so many good boars. Probably because Neal has 3 sows promised, and I still need a sow to grind. The last little sow was too good looking to grind after I cleaned it. So I have a ham in the smoker right now.

Again thanks for your remarks.

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Larry, tell us a bit about the pup's breeding and why you chose him.
Sure looks like he will have his work cut out for him!

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could be wrong, but that pup looks like a Catahoula! I love that breed, but I could also be prejudiced cuz its the Louisiana state dog and I grew up in Metairie! I would dearly love to go back to La for a pig hunt.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karoo:
Larry, tell us a bit about the pup's breeding and why you chose him.
Sure looks like he will have his work cut out for him!

Well there were several factors involved in chosing "Babette". Number one I know both parents, both regestered cats. The sire lost a front leg after being hit by a car, and is still a dependable bay dog. A bit too agressive for his lack of mobility. The other day we hunted near his owners house where he was left to heal from wounds. We were still 2-3 miles away and he shows up at one of the bays having slipped his collar.

The dame is a very capable hunter as well. I liked "Babette's coloring and she was free to me, while Neal is getting $150 for her siblings.

Drew I'm glad you got out of Metaire alive. I am orginally from Des Allemands, but lived about 25 years in Luling. I now live in Prescott, Ar. where this pig hunting is taking place. There are pigs showing up in the marshes and swamps near Des Allemands, and they are hunted with dogs and airboats. Look up a feller in Des Allemands named Arthur Matherne he does airboat tours, I bet he can hook you up with somebody who hunts pigs in the area. By the way, I'm not related to Arthur, he's a unique individual, you would have a great time with him on one of his tours if you're so inclined. Just don't call him a "coonass", or you may end up eating some marsh grass.

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
congratulations Larry ,beaitufll dog and nice trophy ,by the way i like your revolver too .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

Great little pup and yet another super boar. Tell me about those pants you're wearing in the picture. Too cold for snakes, isn't it? Brush busters?

Keep after them!

Matt

Posts: 316 | Location: Jackson, Wyoming | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
congratulations Larry ,beaitufll dog and nice trophy ,by the way i like your revolver too .

Hey Juan, coming from you that mean a lot to me. Yeah I like the revolver too, it's a S&W Moutain gun in .41 mag. I can shoot it pretty well, I had a really nice S&W .44 mag classic with a 5" barrel, a really nice gun, I just did not shoot it well, never figured out why, I ended up selling it. Had to something in my head.

Thanks again, for your comments, I know in the dictionary there is a picture of you next to the words dog hunter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

I moved out of La in 1986 and have been in Texas ever since.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hnts4fun:
Larry,

Great little pup and yet another super boar. Tell me about those pants you're wearing in the picture. Too cold for snakes, isn't it? Brush busters?

Keep after them!

Matt

Hey Matt, I thought you might like that little pup. I remember you saying you use to run cats.

Yep those are brush pant and go along way to protect the legs. It seems that the vegatation here all have thorns. Need to find something to protect the upperbody.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pooch and a nice hog.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mad Dog for your comments.

Regards,
Larry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats a fine lookin pup you got there brother and a solid boar as well. Congrats on your pup and that boar before you know it we'll be seein her in the pics with some big boars to her credit Smiler

Aloha
Dom

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks Dom, I have high hopes for her, she comes from good stock, but as you know, there are no guantees when it comes to dogs. We shall see, but the real danger is my wife becoming to attached.

Yep pretty nice boar, but I need some sows to put in the freezer.

Aloha back at you, and looking forward to your pics soon.

Regards
Larry

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Well done Larry, that's some nice shooting.

If only we could have hanguns here for that sort of thing, I could practice.... Mad

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ghubert. There was a time when it appeared that we might be headed down that road as well in regards to handguns. But things seem to have turned around, even those who appeared to be in favor of banning certain arms have lowered their sights so to speak.

In many ways handguns are the weapon of choice for these type of hunts, though I will carry a carbine if I think the terrain is open enough.

Anyhow thank you for your comments.

Regards,
Larry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just thought of something Ghubert, it is my understanding that you guys can have cap & ball revolvers. I use .36s for small game and they are fun!!

If I was in your shoes I'd get a Ruger Old Army in .44. I'm thinking it would do okay if you restricted yourself in the shots you'd take. Hmmm headshots and neck shots, a .36 would be okay with those restrictions. I'd like to take one with a capper myself.