Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 376 Steyr on a numb hog
 Login/Join

Picture of Whitworth
posted
Jeff,

Sometimes their resilience is mind-boggling. I've had them drop immediately, and I've had them take off like they have a rocket in their backside. One I shot 3 weeks ago went 50 yards despite a shredded heart, both lungs hit and the liver blown out of the body. What gives? It takes time for the message that they're dead to actually reach the brain in some hogs. Very odd indeed.

Whitworth

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A strange thing happened on the way to .... A decent size boar popped out in the pasture in front of my jeep. I really didn't have time for him but he seemed too stupid to run away. I got out, uncased, loaded, aimed and flubbed the first shot. I just cut his belly. He ran toward me and stopped broadside about 40 yards out. Couldn't get a headshot so I shot him right behind the shoulder-NO reaction- not even a flinch. He then threw his head up and started running toward my jeep. I put the third shot right in the middle of his throat. He fell over about ten yards from me.
I've killed well over 100 pigs in the past few years but haven't seen one that didn't show a reaction. Normally, they drop quickly.
When I skinned him, the whole offshoulder was destroyed. Bone chips had exited and internally he was destroyed.
Guess I'll just write this one off to finding a pig with no feeling. The others I've hit with the 376 hit the ground before they knew they were dead.
Strange things happen I guess.
Now I'll figure out how to post pics and put some up. I have some of the entrance and damage.
JJ's post about shot placement and disaster came to mind.
Best,
Jeff

Posts: 177 | Location: Arcadia, Florida | Registered: 15 March 2002Reply With Quote