Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CALLING HOGS
 Login/Join

posted
I'M GOING ON MY FIRST HOG HUNT IN 3 WEEKS IN TEXAS,WE HAVE FEEDERS TO WATCH,BUT I WOULD RATHER TRY CALLING. I'VE DOWNLOADED ALL THE PIG SOUNDS FROM FOXPRO ONTO MY CALLER. WHAT SOUNDS HAVE ANY OF YOU USED & WHATS YOUR FAVORITE,OLD RELIABLE CALL ? IS NIGHT OR DAY BETTER FOR CALLING ? HOPE TO CALL IN A FEW COYOTES ALSO.I'M MOSTLY AFTER MEAT HOGS,WHICH ONES ARE THE BEST TO EAT,SMALL-MEDIUM-LARGE ??

THANKS TO ALL , KEVIN

Posts: 16 | Location: n.w.missouri | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried all the sounds on the FX PRO and all it did was scare them from the feeder.
The hog folks in the know that have experimented with calls have had 0% sucess. Every once in a while someone will claim sucess with a call but
not proven in any way. Checkout Texasboars.com
for the best info. You will find that sex scents and food are the best attractants.
Good luck on your trip into the hog capital of Texas.

Posts: 164 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 24 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know much about calling hogs,but I would tend to think wally is right. Hell who would turn down food and sex?? Big Grin

As far as meat hogs I like a medium to large sow or barr maybe a young boar. Good luck on your hunt.

Posts: 221 | Location: florida big bend | Registered: 14 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've tried it a few times on my hogs with zero success. OTOH, I'm a looong ways from a good caller of anything, I can only convince dumb, young ducks that I'm a female duck yearning for their companionship....... dancing

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW, one reason I think calling may not be very successful for hogs is their noses. They are incredibly sensitive despite being used as a plow part of the time. If you try it, it will be absolutely essential to set up downwind of the hogs likely locations, for instance, on the edge of some woods downwind. Since I haven't called any in yet, I'm not sure how it would work under best results, but I am reasonably certain that they are not going to come in like a rattled buck, for instance.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I too have tried to call them in without success. Nothing draws 'em like food. Gato's right about being always cognizant about wind conditions and always staying downwind when possible. They have an incredible nose.......

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of hog calls and also have had zero success with them. I know a guy who swears by them, but he's guiding in an area that is overrun with hogs so his success may be more accidental than anything.

For meat, a good size sow or younger boar would be my pick. I've gotten some good meat off 150# and smaller boars, but any bigger than that and you may or may not want to eat it.

Also, if you're meat hunting shoot them in the ear. Even a well shot hog can go a long way with little to no blood trail. There are many self-sealing, run-flat hogs out there.

From what you described, I'd be looking to set up on the feeders with the most recent activity. But be prepared to sit all day. I've killed pigs in north central Texas at virtually every time of the day.

Where you hunting?

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
If I am sharing a blind with someone and he starts snorting or grunting or whatever noise he supopose pigs do I will kill him..

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It doesn't work. I have killed a hell of a lot of hogs. I have seen several try it with no luck.

Food works best.

Posts: 11987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR INPUT,SOUNDS LIKE A WASTE OF TIME FOR HOGS BUT MAYBE WE CAN GET A COYOTE OR TWO TO RESPOND

LWD , I'M MEETING MY GROUP IN WICHITA FALLS,SOMEWHERE SOUTH OF THERE.

THANKS AGAIN , KEVIN

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
forget the calls- put out food. think about. there is nothing a pig does more of than eat. the advice about head shots is really on point. i shot 3 hogs in the last few months where i drove a crossbow bolt straight through the chest but apparently missed the heart. lots of blood for the first 2-300 yards, then nothing. now i drive the bolt into the skull-DRT!!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13163 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
buy o bucket of tar and and put it on the bottom of the tree. They love to scratch against it. It will also show you if you have any really big ones around...because the fur stick on the tar..

fat chicks inc.

Posts: 475 | Location: Belgien | Registered: 01 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a post hole digger and dig a hole. File it with corn. Then spread corn or the Hog Wild attractant around the outside. It attracts the hogs and they can not just finish it straight away because much of the corn is below ground level. They have to root for it.

This works and will keep the hogs around longer that simply spreading corn.

Posts: 11987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
IF WE PUT OUT SOME KIND OF ATTRACTANT,HOW SOON WILL THEY COME LOOKING FOR IT ? IS THAT SOMETHING YOU WOULD DO IN THE MORNING WHEN YOU GO OUT AND HUNT FROM A BLIND OR DO YOU NEED TO PUT IT OUT A FEW DAYS BEFORE YOU GO HUNT. WE'RE ONLY HUNTING 3 DAYS,NOT INTERESTED IN THE DIESEL FUEL MIXTURE BUT THE VANILLA OR STRAWBERRY JELLO SOUNDS GOOD !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend had a homemade recording of some piglets squealing that he used to call in hogs. I never observed the operation, so can't vouch for it.

One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
hang a 5 gal. bucket half full of diesel fuel off a tree limb near by...then wait...THey will come.

Just dont dump that fuel on the ground or trees, it will kill them. The smell of the fuel will attract the hogs cause they want to rub and wallow in it.

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems any kind of calling creates a "distress" reaction to nearby hogs and they flee the area rather than come in. Baiting is
the best, see if you can get some old produce being trashed by the local supermarket, especially sugar beets and cabbage, the more rotten the better. This goes good with corn, takes 2-3 days for them to find it and then "Look Out". Have a good supply on hand to replentish the baits

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forget the hog sounds, watch the feeders. Also don't be surprised if while your using a rabbit squealer trying for predators, if you have a hog come in to it.

It has happened more than once while we were looking for yotes, to have a big boar or sow come straight towards the caller. They will eat anything easily obtainable including small critters.

Mike / Tx

One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wallyfish:
You will find that sex scents and food are the best attractants.

Who here has had luck with SOW IN HEAT scents? Did it really make a noticable difference?

Posts: 357 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
I do believe that back in college, I saw it work on you a time or two, Griz. sofa

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
I've tried to forget that night damnit!! If my nightmares come back I'm gonna kick your ass.

Posts: 357 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
kcfx, you are going to be hunting close to where the guy I work for runs his hog hunts.

My advice is that if the feeders have been running and the hogs are coming in to them, if you have access to blinds of any kind, get in them and stay put.

Too many folks try to get out and put on a stalk and it doesn't work out real well usually.

Depending on who you are doing the hunt on/with, if it is okay with the outfitter/landowner/guide, you might want to consider taking a portable spotlight to the stand with you and staying until well after dark.

If the feeders have not been running, and you all are going to have to supply the corn, you may not be able to pull in hogs during your hunt.

If feeders aren't throwing corn for a few days. the hogs will move and sometimes it takes a week or two to get them back in.

JMO, but from experience, if the hogs are active at the feeders, the less amount of disturbance you can make getting into the blinds/stands the better, and can probably make a difference between seeing hogs and not.

The more disturbance around an area where hogs are active, the more chance to spook them out of the area.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote