New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some more Tx hogs-pics
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My buddy Pat from south Tex sent me another photo and story. I hope you enjoy.

Went back to the edge of the woods this evening.. Left the truck and walked into the wind along the creek. I hadn't gone to far, maybe 3/4 of a mile when a small bunch of pigs came out of the mott onto the creek bank and making tracks for the big woods.. This one was in the lead and I waited until she was up on the opposite bank and shot. She was quartering away and the shot took her amidships. The impact was lower on her body than the picture indicates. She made about 30 yards or so and went down. There was a decent blood trail from where I hit her to the point where she wetnt down.
This was the 6x47 loaded with 95 grain Nosler ballistic tips at almost 3,200..

Since I was across the creek I revisited the area where I shot the male pig about a week ago with this rifle and the 80 TTSX. I couldn't find that pig the day I shot him. This evening, however, I did find him. He had gone about 50 yards and buried up in a hell of a thick briar patch. The patch was only about 20' across but thick and tall. I hadn't gone in there to investigate.. A pleasent aroma led me to him this afternoon... He was in a state of meltdown!

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
clap

post more Butch

Posts: 221 | Location: florida big bend | Registered: 14 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
My buddy Pat from south Tex sent me another photo and story. I hope you enjoy.

Went back to the edge of the woods this evening.. Left the truck and walked into the wind along the creek. I hadn't gone to far, maybe 3/4 of a mile when a small bunch of pigs came out of the mott onto the creek bank and making tracks for the big woods.. This one was in the lead and I waited until she was up on the opposite bank and shot. She was quartering away and the shot took her amidships. The impact was lower on her body than the picture indicates. She made about 30 yards or so and went down. There was a decent blood trail from where I hit her to the point where she wetnt down.
This was the 6x47 loaded with 95 grain Nosler ballistic tips at almost 3,200..

Since I was across the creek I revisited the area where I shot the male pig about a week ago with this rifle and the 80 TTSX. I couldn't find that pig the day I shot him. This evening, however, I did find him. He had gone about 50 yards and buried up in a hell of a thick briar patch. The patch was only about 20' across but thick and tall. I hadn't gone in there to investigate.. A pleasent aroma led me to him this afternoon... He was in a state of meltdown!

Is the 6x47 the 223 necked to 6MM? How hard is it to get 3200 fps with a 95 gr. bullet in that small of a case? My shots are all under 100 yards so I load my 6MM Remington to just 2900 fps hoping for a bit more bullet integrity and less meat destruction.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rickt300,
It is not the old 6x47 which was a 222 mag. necked up to 6mm. It is the new 6.5x47Lapua case necked down to 6mm.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Years ago I had a 6mm/223 in a contender. I liked it well enough but then as now I am in almost perpetual trade mode, gunshow in the morning.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
I have a 6x45 (6mm-223) and always knew the 6x47 to be the 6mm-222 Mag only.
Having two 6x47's is going to be confusing and if anyone has the details on this Lapua-based cartridge, please share it.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is not the old 6x47 which was a 222 mag. necked up to 6mm. It is the new 6.5x47Lapua case necked down to 6mm.

I've seen the newer one referred to as the 6-6.5x47 to eliminate confusion. But since it's a brand new wildcat, that's far from official.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote