Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 45/70 for Hogs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Smknbarrel, et al.

"not satisfied with 45/70 factory loads" - I can't imagine why....

Use them for barrel breakin and plinking.

I am using good level II loads from Conley Precision cartrige with a 300gr JHP at 2300fps and a 405gr FP at 1900fps.

Posts: 57 | Location: North Georgia Mtns | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
North GA those are exactly the kind of loads I'm looking for the 300 gr. at 2300 would be perfect for whitetail what bullet is it?

Posts: 61 | Location: Deep Fork River Bottoms, Oklahoma | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone have any interesting past experiences with this caliber? Best Bullets? Could you shoot 300 gr. FMJs through both shoulders of a large hog at 50 yards? Is 500 grains too slow?

Posts: 61 | Location: Deep Fork River Bottoms, Oklahoma | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Just my suggestion, but the 405 rems at 1600 works VERY well..

300gr HPs also will have a great effect.

I was't sure there was a 300gr fmj .458 bullet... I wouldn't use it, as the 300 and 350's are fantastic.. and the 405

jeffe

Posts: 38510 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm just not satisfied with factory ammo in the 45/70, I did find a load for a 350 gr. Speer @ 2100 FPS that seems more fitting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Factory ammo is very varied, from standard 405 and 300, also same velocity with 300 partition(Win). Then to PMC 350 @2200 matching the 450Marlin.Then the Buffalo Bore and Garrett loads.A strong gun like the Marlin,Ruger or Browning will take them all. Lots of choice all good for pigs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
FMJs are a poor choice for hogs IMO. Like almost any bullet, put one in the right spot and they would work, but they are a long ways from ideal. I image that, like Jeffeosso said, if you could find real FMJ 300gr .458 bullets, then they would go thru both shoulders, but if you miss the shoulders, you might well lose the hog. In the 45/70, 300 gr HPs or 350 gr Hornady RNs poking along at between 1750 and 1900 fps will handily kill any hog you'll ever meet.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I'm just not satisfied with factory ammo in the 45/70, I did find a load for a 350 gr. Speer @ 2100 FPS that seems more fitting.

I would like to see the hogs you're hunting. When I was in CA, one guy I hunted with used a .45 Seneca with a Maxi-ball over 70 gr. of BP, I used a .44 Rem Mag Marlin carbine with factory 240 gr. Rem SJHP, others used .30-30, .30-06 etc, with factory ammo. I've never seen a hog lost or a hunter hurt.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot more pigs with the 300 gr sierra pro hunter HPFN loaded over 52 gr of AR2207 for a velocity of 2100 fps than the 400 gr variety although I prefer the heaviver 400 gr bullets loaded to about 1800 fps.

IMHO the 45/70 is one of the best pig calibres out there.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no doubt in my mind that factory ammo would take large hogs cleanly and consistently and I am in no way stating that I'm after those elusive 400+ lbers that has been in some much contraversy but loaded to marlin strength levels the 45/70 is vastly better than it was in 1873.

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have no doubt in my mind that factory ammo would take large hogs cleanly and consistently and I am in no way stating that I'm after those elusive 400+ lbers that has been in some much contraversy but loaded to marlin strength levels the 45/70 is vastly better than it was in 1873.

I wasn't debating desire but the need isn't there.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes that's certainly true... I'm just addicted to recoil!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the 405 gr. Rem. bullets in my handloads with success, although the factory load will do just fine. Others report good success with the 350 Speer. No, a 500 gr. bullet isn't too "slow."

Good luck!

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I DON'T recommend 405 grain factory Remington loads. This is only one event but I shot an average sized Lousiana hog in the head once and the animal just ran like hell requiring a damn quick second shot into the boiler room to finish him. The first shot was recovered (and realized to be a hit rather than a miss) when the skull was cleaned off. The bullet had flattened against the upper back part of the jaw and had cracked (not broken) it. My suspicion is that the animal would have been fine (but obviously ill-tempered) if I had not connected on the second shot.
I now use only 400 grain Cor-Bon solids for hogs in my 45-70.

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 45-70 lever gun is a fantastic choice for hogs at 150 yards or less... If you handload go with a tough 350gr or more bullet at about 1700-1900 fps and you'll flatten them at any angle or range within reason. Yes you can kill hogs with alot less gun, but when things don't go right as far as shot placement, brush obstructions, etc then the tougher bullet and heavier calibers will be more likely to pull you thru.

I've got a .450 Marlin GG and wouldn't hesitate for a moment to use either the factory 350gr Hornady or one of my 400gr JFP or cast-bullet handloads. My 1895M hits damned hard and shoots like a dream.

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The heavy calibers really are a lot more versatile than what people give them credit for....they do a better job when shot,placement is not quite what it should have been.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I should amend my comment by mentioning that I don't load the Rem. bullet up past about 1400 fps.--- much more than that and it won't penetrate well, particularly close-in. Learned that the hard way.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 45-70 that I can't load very heavy. Need to keep the loads at about "normal" (weak) loads. I'm leaning towards 300 grains, for a flatter trajectory, but softs or solids?

Posts: 510 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't use FMJs, use the JHP and if you want more penetration use the 300 partition.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The sierra HPFN 300 gr pro hunter should work well for what your proposing.