New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Texas Feral Hog w/ Bow
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When I got to my tripod Saturday morning, I found my feeder on the ground with one of the legs (made out of 1 1/4" rigid pipe) completely bent 180 degrees. There are no cows in the riverbed so I knew it had to be hogs doing this. I almost think the hogs on our ranch get a kick out of tearing up feeders. I salvaged what was left of the feeder, dumped out the rest of the corn, and got in my tripod to wait and see if the hogs would return. That morning was pretty uneventful I saw some young bucks and a doe. Although the evening hunt was a different story, there had to been at least 15 deer around my tripod. About 30 min till dark all my deer ran off, and I started to hear the hogs. Hogs are a nuisance on our property and I rarely pass one up. The hog in the picture was the first of 15 (3- mamas' 12- babies) that came into sight. They started on the game trail that leads directly to my feeder. As they got within bow range, the one I shot started snorting at me and ran behind a small mesquite tree. She finally came in to bow range giving me a perfect quartering away shot. I hit her a little too far back but the angle was good, and the arrow caught the heart. I waited about an hour before my brother and I went to track it down. We finally found her about 100 yd. from where I shot her.

* The hogs at our ranch are a cross between Russian Boar and domestic. This one has more domestic genes than Russian
Here is a pic of the tusk

Posts: 67 | Location: Lubbock Texas | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Congrats tell us more about the hunt.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
180 lb + Hog
This hog was shot at 25-30 yds
100 grain muzzy broadhead 3 blade
15" penitration
68 lb bow

Posts: 67 | Location: Lubbock Texas | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Nice piggy! Good going on a that bowhunt.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Congrats and good luck on the deer!!

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote