New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well it has finally happened!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have run out of pigs! Four feeders, three pieces of property, and three weeks without a game camera pig picture! My wife's place has been slack for awhile now. My friend's place has been really slow! My place had pigs but at really random times but they stopped showing all together. Being deer season a lot of easy corn hits the ground. Hunters shoot some and a few trap now that they are out at the lease any way. We will see if it picks up after the first of the year!

Posts: 701 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don’t worry, they’ll be back!

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two properties, 5 feeders, and no pigs for 7 weeks. However, the acorns are covering the ground and the recent rains have the browse and forbs up and green.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wishing you immediate increase, Live Oak. beer

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16378 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hogs are like deer they have been feeding almost exclusively on the giant crop of acorns that has
been produced this year

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Same here in Europe / Germany. Pigs were off for 6 - 8 weeks feeding on acorns and chestnuts et cetera. Frost hit and the acorns are sour and the pigs are back on the feeders!

Same thing every year here ....

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2022 was a bad year for hogs. I only hunt them twice a year now. Didn't see a single hog in 2022. That's never happened. I'm putting some of the blame on helicopter hunts over surrounding ranches. You take a couple hundred hogs off those ranches, and some of them were bound to have been "mine".

Posts: 13775 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
2022 was a bad year for hogs. I only hunt them twice a year now. Didn't see a single hog in 2022

I would think there would be a lot of rejoicing.

Posts: 19375 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
2022 was a bad year for hogs. I only hunt them twice a year now. Didn't see a single hog in 2022

I would think there would be a lot of rejoicing.

^^^I agree!

I can understand the consternation of not having them to hunt but I thought they were like unto the plague and everyone wanted them gone.

Sounds like I've been misinformed or mislead.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Feral pigs are easy to hate! In some places they can do a lot of damage. To me, they don't damage more than whitetail deer, fire ants, cut ants or gophers! I have just added racoons and squirrels to the list! Pigs are one of few animals that can be hunted year round, either sex and still hold their own! Some people have to "hate" something. Hunt them, trap them to keep them in check but a lot of people do not want them gone! There is money in them there swine!

Posts: 701 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote