New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feral Hogs in Texas
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here are a couple of piggies taken this past summer in northwest-central Texas.

The sow was taken first, at about 20 yards. I had crawled up a tank (pond) dam, hearing/smelling them on the other side, wallowing during the heat of the day. As I topped the dam and began trying to find a hole through the thick mesquite brush, I heard her snort to my left. I was squatting, but she was turned directly towards me, so I couldn't go to a kneeling position. The shot from the Remington 300 Ultra Mag nearly knocked me over backwards from that position, but the 180 gr Partition hit home just above the skull (her head was down) and travelled length-wise down her spine. She dropped immediately. She was VERY fat and was in excellent condition. I estimate her weight at 250-300 lbs.

-

At the shot, hogs erupted from the pond, and charged straight up the dam towards me, not seeing me until they broke the brush at about 5 feet. I sidestepped 20 or so smaller adults and babies, and the big boar was last out, passing about 10 feet from me. I had unconsciously worked the action, and shot the boar just behind the shoulder in the spine shotgun-like (no sighting through scope). He weighed 300-350 lbs, with one excellent tusk.

-

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
<DavidP>
posted
That was some quick action and a couple of fine shots on some big fellows. Well done.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Here is another Texas piigy; shot by a friend of a friend of a friend. Can anyone guess the weight?

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Crap! can't spell or post! Let's try this again...[img] www.hunt101.com/membergalleries/tigertate/texassizedpig [/img]

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna do this 'til I get it right.
 -

one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Tiger,

Didn't that thing go 1050 Lbs? I've seen the photo several times. Seems that was the weight I heard.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
1064 was what I was told. I can't verify the story but it was supposed to have been shot in the early AM with a .44 revolver. Does this jibe with what you heard?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
DANG!!!
good hunting!!!

300, at least
jeffe

Posts: 38513 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've heard several different stories about that hog [Roll Eyes] . To get the right answers you need to contact Dwayne Spann at Trophy Shot Hunting Adv. 281-471-6909 or 832-256-3984.

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
CD is correct. That is one of those pictures that made the rounds with several "stories".

It is still one BIG hog!!

Bob

Here are a couple of south Texas hogs and a javelina:
 -
 -
 -
 -

[ 10-07-2003, 18:36: Message edited by: Bob in TX ]

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob in Tx: What cartridge is that Contender chambered for, and what bullet/load took that piggie??

BigIron

[ 10-07-2003, 23:54: Message edited by: BigIron ]

one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Tiger,

I read the story somewhere awhile back. The hog was shot somewhere southwest of Junction. A couple of guys, one of whom is a hunting guide, spotted it wallowing in the mud at the edge of a tank. At first, they thought is was a cow that was bogged down. When they realized what it was, they decided to try to shoot it with a bow. They made an approach and the guide showed himself to the hog, which brought the hog out of the mud, presenting a shot for his partner. I can't recall if more than one shot was needed. Maybe they finished it with a .44. Big pig...

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
BI,

It is a 7-30 Waters. I was using a 130gr. Sierra SSP bullet with 35.5 grs. of W-748.

I am not going to be able to go hog hunting until after deer season in February......I can't wait.

Good Hunting,

Bob

[ 10-08-2003, 17:18: Message edited by: Bob in TX ]

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Nice looking piggies fellas. Hunting hogs is one of my favorite pasttimes. I make a whole-hearted effort to go once a year. I wish I lived closer to some good populations, as I would love to go more often.

Here's by best to date:
 -
We didn't weigh him, but I'd guess him a little over 250# or so. He had some awesome tusks though - the bottoms were about 4" each. He's on the wall now. He actually turned into a pretty nice looking mount once he was all cleaned up.

Here's a nice little sow I shot a couple years ago near Leakey, TX.
 -

And here are some from this April's hunt, also near Leakey:
 -

-

I hope to have some good javelina photos come February, and of course there's next spring's hog hunt (if the wife doesn't cut me short 'cuz I'm going to Africa in June).

Posts: 3293 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
here's a hog I shot with my .44 magnum encore in early 2002. The 225 gr remington factory bullet entered between its shoulder blades (the hog was laying down) and exited through the rear ham.

-

I don't know what it weighed, but it was a real chore hauling it out of the creekbed!

Troy

Posts: 285 | Location: arlington, tx | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
David W: That's pretty close to what I remember being told. Junction rings a bell. CoonDawg: I hate to call a guy I don't know at his work and bother him about a hog thats long been eaten. Hopefully we know enough about this one.

When I find it I'll post a picture of my personal best..319 lbs but nice teeth. We called him "Mr. T". He and a buddy killed and ate a small herd of sheep before we got him (tried for 2 years). Wish there was a great story of adventure behind him but I was in a blind one cold Januray night near Medina, TX and had a big sow come in to feed with some juveniles. I took her with my .220 Swift behind the ear. As I walked up to her, two of the biggest nuts I ever saw became visible in the moonlight. "She" resides over the fireplace now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I book a lot of hog hunts in Texas. 3 days at $399 with a nice lodge and all the hogs you can shoot and their are a lot of them...check out my web page..

Posts: 41880 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
The rest of the story is, the hunter shot and hit it, I think with an arrow, the hog, then highly pissed no doubt, took off after the hunter, who was running for his life, and the guide then shot and killed the hog with a rifle. That's all I remember. This incident did happen near Junction, Texas. I have the original article somewhere - if I can find it I will post it with the citation.

Sounds like fun to me, except that you damn well better be armed adequately for the intended game. Would you hunt rhino with a .22? Some people are just plane stupid!!!

Posts: 9 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Willguy,
I know ranchers who regularly chase them down with dogs and capture them with their bare hands, pen and feed them and later on sell them at the sale barn...Most all ranches have traps and get the hogs out and penned by hand...

I have shot many hogs with a 22 L.R., 25-20 and 222 with good results over the years...

Posts: 41880 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Remember now, this one weighed well over 1000 lbs and little fat compared to show-pigs!

[ 10-25-2003, 00:24: Message edited by: tigertate ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
There has never been a 1000 lb. hog, period!

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Mr. Atkinson, you seem very knowledgable about firearms and certain animals but you definitely are incorrect about hogs. I have personally seen one shot at 950 Lbs and one at 750. I do not doubt a 1000 pounder exists. Just because you never heard of it doesn't mean it ain't true. As a mater of record, a Poland China hog named Bill was officially weighed in at 2,552 lbs and measured 9 feet long from nose to tail. Every great once in a while the feral gene pool produces one capable of this size in the wild, however, food supplies don't allow for their full potential so one seldom hears of anything over 1000 lbs.

[ 10-27-2003, 17:34: Message edited by: tigertate ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thousand pound hogs? Well, as domestic animals, certainly. Old gilts raised for exhibition can, as the previous poster notes, go over a ton. But that's kind of like comparing Kobe beef to an old range bull.

In the wild, life expectancy and food supplies usually limit hogs to only a few hundred pounds. In ranching areas where hogs only have access to native plants, anything over 250 is a very big hog. Some feral hogs in farming areas where they may have access to improved pastures, coarse grains, soybeans, and winter wheat and oats have the opportunity to get bigger.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I agree they are very rare, and may have to be captive for a period of their life before escaping to the wild or some such event. The point is they do exist, scarce as they may be; and a hunter who claims to have shot one is not automatically stupid or a liar as Mr. Atkinson chooses to imply.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your dead right, I believe anyone who claims to have shot a 1000 pound wild hog is a liar or is simply mistaken and probably just guessing at the weight...The largest I know of went 750 pounds.

Wild hogs do not weigh 1000 pounds, Mule Deer don't weigh 400 pounds and Elk don't weigh 1500...Hunters know that, or at least they should.

The picture featured was presented on this or HA forum some time back and was reported as a phony as to the weight and also the photograph had been doctored up, according to the posters????

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I guess this part of the thread did start with an old internet photo but the point is well past one picture, real or not. My wife has specific instructions if, as I approach 70, I've decided I know all there is to know.

[ 10-27-2003, 20:59: Message edited by: tigertate ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
You won't at the rate your going!! [Razz] [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I just bust out laughing when I hear stories about these "MONSTER HOGS." There was a guy a couple of years ago the got a 750pounder somewhere in Florida on a dog hunt. Come to find out, the hog wasn't shot or stuck with anything. He died of heat exhaustion before the hunters got to the bay. Real wild hog huh.

[ 10-28-2003, 03:58: Message edited by: Walker ]

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now thats funny!

Posts: 202 | Location: davenport, iowa | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Ray, what does the $399.00 include? What about trophy fees? Thanks.

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whitworth,
It includes a very nice lodge, and guide, you bring your own food and do your own cooking or we can supply food and cook at additional charge...No trophy fees..You shoot all the hogs you want..You have the whole ranch to yourself, no other hunters...Email me and I will put you direct to the ranch owner..other options such as deer and Javalina and varmints exist...

Success so far is 110%....most shoot from 3 to 10 hogs in two or three days.

Checkk out my web page for photos...

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Yes, Ray. But for completely different and much more enjoyable reasons! [Smile]

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
hey!!
I thought I saw the troll on a 1000+ # pig...

no, wait, he was just HOGGIN

jeffe

Posts: 38513 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
1,000 lb. hogs = 100% Bullsh*t

Let's try to put it in perspective: that would be the same weight as seven average, good-sized Texas whitetails, combined. Now, I hope that sounds as ridiculous to you as it does to me. Imagine seven deer wrapped up into one hog skin.

Come on back to reality; we're saving you a seat.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Actually that would be 10 Hill Country bucks, not 7. I did not say I ever saw one @ 1000 lbs but I did see one shot and weighed in at 750. This was in Boerne, by the way, RYS. I have seen one taken that I believe was larger but not weighed so I won't speculate (I said 950 above but I shouldn't have said it if I didn't weigh it). My personal biggest was only 319. Given that I've seen one go 750 and there is no doubt that the world's record domestic hog was over 2500 lbs (1933 Chicago World's Fair if anyone wants to fact-check), I speculated that a 1000 pounder is likely to have lived somewhere sometime in the wild. I am quite certain that if Boone & Crockett didn't keep records, people who hunted Coues deer their whole life would likewise scoff at the idea of a 213 point typical buck. Just human nature.

[ 11-03-2003, 22:07: Message edited by: tigertate ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray, that Lodge sounds like a good deal, I will have to try it sometime.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Major,
It is a good hunt, Don with Groove bullets who posts here quite often takes a group of 10 or more hunters there evey year...check my web page for their group photo...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you have a minimum group size?

Posts: 196 | Location: MN, USA | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is my best pig, taken last year. I shot this sow at about 65 yards with my Marlin 1894 .44 magnum, loaded with Nosler 240gr JSP over 24.0gr H110. The bullet fully penetrated and dropped her where she stood!

I did not have a scale to weigh her, so I don't know exactly what she checked in at. Maybe some you experienced fellas can help me with an estimate? I think she is at least 300, but how much over 300 is hard to tell. For scale, my 20" 1894 is leaning up against her in the picture.

-

Posts: 93 | Location: Magnolia, TX | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of whtailtaker
posted Hide Post
that was a good hog-
looks like she is big
>400#

Posts: 127 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina and Regions West | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote