New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bostic Plantation
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A buddy of mine wants me to book a hunt at the Bostic Plantation in december with him and I would like to know what to expect?

Posts: 70 | Location: MI | Registered: 28 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted there this weekend, 4 days, saw 3 does, 1 4 point, no hogs. I will not go back.
Hunted The Roost, in Alabama last year the week after Christmas. Saw some great deer, passed on 4 8 pts looking for mr. big. The Roost is a million times better than Bostick. Facilities are first class. At Bostick they drop you off @ your stand. At The Roost they don't drive on the property, you walk in from the road, which I prefer. Check it out @ The Roost .com. Will be there again this year the week after Christmas.

Posts: 137 | Location: ormond beach fl | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From what I heard do not hunt with Bostick. My taxidermist hunted with them for one day at $130. I believe there were at least 10 other hunters, perhaps about 15, if I recall correctly. It was an exclusive hunt for hogs from deer stands and this was about 5 or 6 years ago. None of the hunters saw a single hog. My taxidermist vowed never to return to Bostick and a lot of the other hunters said the same thing. My taxidermist said all Bostick did was drive them to stands, drop 'em off, and pick 'em up at the end of the day. My taxidermist told me that there were not any baited areas around his deer stand. From what I heard and my experiences in the forest, without bait or a good crop, waiting for a hog from a deer stand is useless. Lady Luck would play a major role in that case. Either bait, a good crop with hog damage, stalking in a very muddy swamp/marsh, or dogs are the best way to harvest a hog in SC.
I'm not a hog hunter (yet) so please do not plaster me with questions, but I've spent my life in the forest, and where I work in the forest, I see hogs frequently as well as the damage they do.
Good Luck.

Posts: 33 | Location: SC - Lowcountry | Registered: 26 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Baiting" in Alabama is strickly a no-no. No feeders either unless removed from the property 10 days prior to hunting. If they were permitted as an agriculture nuisance then the rules change; but I don't think folks would like it if they knew they were paying $150 a day to hunt on a ag. nuisance permit. [Wink]

Posts: 230 | Location: Alabama; USA | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote