New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pigs Be Gone-again!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Last two sits have been fruitless--and last night when I got to the stand, I could see a pile of corn on the ground, meaning the pigs hadn't been there in a few nights. Most likely due to hunting pressure--Christmas holidays and lots of folks in their blinds, trying to fill out their tags before the season closes Sunday.

But-before I went to the pig stand, I went to the river bottom pasture to see if I could kill a buck (landowner says he "owes" me one since I've been nice enough to help him with his pig problem--what a deal!!!!). Got to my general location, where I could watch the east end which borders on a thicker, brushy property, and could also see the hillside where the landowner's son told me he'd seen a nice buck. The landowner told me he had seen nothing but does in the riverbottom--but the first deer I saw was a buck with a funky rack--normal right side, but the left side just went straight out instead of up. Second buck was a good one--laying up next to a big pecan tree, about 225 yds away--across the fence. He looked to be 16-17" wide, tall rack, with 8-pts. Then I saw a small forked-horn buck, then a spike, then way down the bottom in a clearing I saw 2 deer--one was a buck for sure-no mistake, but the other I couldn't tell. I watched the deer for the rest of the afternoon, hoping they'd come across the fence, but no luck. Going to talk to the landowner across the fence and see if he will give me permission to hunt his bottom too.

Oh yeah-forgot, this is a pig-hunting forum. At any rate, I had noticed some significant rootings while walking to my spot so I was watching for pigs too. While salivating over the big buck, I happened to notice a big black thing wandering around. It was a nice pig, maybe 150 lbs, about 200 yds away, again, across the fence. Dang the bad luck!

Oh well, that's why it's called hunting. And, I'll be back, probably for a morning hunt to see if I can catch them on my side of the fence if the neighbor says no. And, after general season closes, I have 2 weeks of muzzle loader time.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I sure hope you get to put th crosshairs on one of those bucks -- and maybe a piggie or two as well.

Here's hoping the other landowner grants you access.

Either way, we'll be waiting for you pictures... Smiler

Good luck out there.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9344 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wooo-hooo! Talked to the landowner across the fence and he said "have at 'em" so the hogs and deer better watch out. Only hitch is that he wants me to wait until after Sunday (general deer season close) to begin as his son-in-law is coming and wants to hunt the area. Frowner

But, I'll have two weeks of muzzle loader season if the big buck I saw survives the weekend, and another nice place to shoot pigs. I'm gonna be really really good and maybe it will work into a place to bowhunt next year.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Awesome! I hope that turns into a long-standing arrangement. Once he sees how you are helping out with hog reduction, I think it will turn into a very favorable deal for you.

Keep us posted on the hunting results! Smiler

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9344 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And, he has some more acreage down the road--surely it will require some hog control too!