New
Find
Notify
Tools

Friend's place
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The deer are getting persistent! Standing there waiting for the feeder to go off and hard to run off! After the second attempt they stayed gone. Heard what I though was a sounder grunt/squeal. Later saw a pig silhouetted against the light back ground. One boar was eating corn out side the feeder fence. He went from right to left around the left side. Usually at this feeder they enter from the back right. He was on his knees fixing to go in but bolted! I put the rifle down to wait him out. Just then a sounder poured in the back right. Not sure if the loner was just unwelcome or what? I picked the biggest one in the bunch and touched one off. Hard to tell in the chaos my pigs reaction but it was not laying there. Going to the feeder there was a nickel size spot of lung/blood. No trail of any kind leading away. There is a dry water coarse right behind my feeder. A little further back is another lesser one. I started walking the usual exit paths. I almost stepped on him in the second little water path. 148.4# 7MM Rem mag 150 grain Sierra Game King. Your are looking at the exit!

Posts: 701 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Live Oak, are you scratching a notch in that tin can for every hog chin it has held up? Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16376 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
If he put a notch in that can for every hog he's posed with it, he'd be down to a piece of metal the size of a pull-tab ha ha!

Well done...and nice shot placement, too.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing, not a .375 or bigger for once.

Nice shot, looks like it was effective.

Seems like all the hunting of dead pigs
you do that you'd get one of those heat
seakers things and save a lot of time
wandering around the weeds and brush.

Time for a new can again, this one's about
worn out.

Good shooting. Seems like you've got it figured
out where to hit 'em.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
george--those "heat seeker things" don't work unless it is a thermal scope-type unit. The one Leupold sells is junk--just won't/doesn't work. Now, you spend $1800+ for a good thermal scanner and you'll be good. Trust me---I have experience.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post

I have both the original and the HD version that Leupold brought out. For me, they are invaluable. Locating a downed hog or coyote in the dark is made much easier -- and for someone like me, with limited mobility, that's important.

No, they aren't perfect. Even on the HD model, the resolution is low. They eat through batteries fairly fast. And it would be nice if they had a diopter to adjust for differences in vision.

And no, they won't see though a ton of thick grass or work any sort of magic, either, but I would be completely lost without them.

Some may frown upon it, but I've even used them to detect live hogs and coyotes in the dark of night before making a shot. Picking up a signal even beyond 200 yards on something the size of a coyote is no problem.

Mine have been used and abused, dropped more than once and generally carried in a pocket -- treatment I would never consider for my nice scopes ha ha. But they keep working just fine. I think my original is now about 5 years old.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At my place the brush is so thick a thermal probably would not do much. Even if I find em, the effort to get them out is getting to be too much! AT my friend's, if the cows have been off very long with rain, the grass is very thick and high. With the water cut pot holes they seem to die in, they expire below ground level. I'll just have to rely on past experience as to which way they run. Or use bigger bullets! Ha Ha

Posts: 701 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote