THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HOG HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hogs, Warthogs, Wild Boars, Javelinas Hunting    Re: Hunting Hogs in the Mark Twain National Forest

Moderators: Whitworth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Hunting Hogs in the Mark Twain National Forest
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hawkeye and Russell:

True, there are probably more hogs and easier hunts in Tex or Ok but I can tell you from experience, if you are not used to hunting hogs, you won't see them very often. If there is sign, they are there, and because of their breeding habits, probably in significant numbers. Hogs are very hard to spot if you are not specifically targeting them, in particular if they have any hunting pressure. Hogs are by nature mostly nocturnal so the ordinary deer hunter is often gone before they show up. Find their food sources, and stake them out Late in the evening including dark if you can see to shoot (moon?) and it is legal. Or follow their trails and try to shoot them in mid-day. Hogs sleep hard. Rainy, overcast days will sometimes bring them out earlier. Good luck. Mornings are usually poor times for hunting, but if you're there anyway, look for them leaving their food sources. Hogs have extremely keen noses and USE them, as well as very good hearing. Their eyesight is poor, but not as poor as some would lead you to believe. But their nose is what allows them to avoid most humans. Use the wind. Hog hunting synopsis #1.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine and I want to hung feral hogs in the Mark Twain National Forest. Came across this idea from someone else who does it... but haven't been able to touch base with that gentleman recently.

Anyone hunted hogs in the MTNF? Any thoughts about where to go and/or who to contact for more information?

Thanks very much.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Russell,

I have heard of people that hunt the hogs on the South side of the Fort Leonard Woods Army base. I have a friend that has been there but he has never seen a hog but says there is sign of them there. i have never talked to anyone that has seen an animal. You might get lucky but I would try Tx. or Ok. where the odds are better.