New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spring Creek Hog
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This hog was spotted by Jazzy the wonder chihuahua and shot at 150 yards with a 260 Kimber Montana using 120 grain ballistic tip. This is the second large boar shot in a week. This one weighed 271 lbs.

[URL= ][/URL][URL=
[URL= ]

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Great hog, Cross! Congrats! beer

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
Great hog, Cross! Congrats! beer
\

Really nice

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Huge hog! Congrats to Jazzy!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Fantastic pig buddy but is it usual to use such a small calibre?

I'd have thought you'd need something much bigger for such a big tough animal like that?

Come to that, do they often grow as big as that?

Damn it has to be the biggest pig I've ever seen! Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh Lord--We will not talk about appropriate calibers for hogs. There are wars being wage in these forums over what to shoot hogs with. As for me I went to the 260 because I didnt think I was getting enough thump w/ 243. This boy took a high spine shot as he was in tall grass and it was dificult to see all of him..DRT He was an old boar,tusks worn down and major cuts.and scars on his shield from fighting. This is about as big as they grow around here.
Lord knows there is plenty more where he came from-he was shot out of a sounder of over twenty and obviously there are others big enough to fight with him.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I was thinking that maybe Jazzy held him down, by the ear, while you finished him off with a spear. Wink

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I freely admit I know absolutely bugger all about American and/or European pigs but it looks to me like a 30 cal wouldn't have been too big.

Just goes to show you how different one type of hunting can be from another. Wink

The pigs we get out here in Africa are a lot smaller but are helluva tough for their size. They'll carry a lot of lead and don't like to give up...... are the pigs you get over there the same in that respect?

One of Us
Picture of Thenie Meanie
posted Hide Post
I located a pic of Jazzy from our hunt at Spring Creek earlier this year. Not a great pic of the little diva doggie but she is so quick! Has she made it past the 4 lb mark yet? She is a handy size to carry around in your vest! We had a super great time and much fun was had by all! We owe Jazzy a trip to the doggie day spa!

Posts: 63 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
Hogs here can be tough,I dont feel overgunned with a 06-for boars.That said, Here hogs are pests and most of what we shoot are sows and young ones, the more the better. Most ranchers and farmers woulod like them eradicated so much of the shooters go as small as 5.56 NATO for high speed shooting. As with most pest control the type of shooting is pretty much as you would like. The pigcicles(10-25lb) roasted whole are finger licken good. That particular boar lost about 3 inches of spinal column to that ballistic tip.so he didnt move.

Come on over -no limit and no season I bet several of us texicans could show you some hog shooting. How bout DSC in Jan?

SSR

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
Steve,
Hogs here can be tough,I dont feel overgunned with a 06-for boars.That said, Here hogs are pests and most of what we shoot are sows and young ones, the more the better. Most ranchers and farmers woulod like them eradicated so much of the shooters go as small as 5.56 NATO for high speed shooting. As with most pest control the type of shooting is pretty much as you would like. The pigcicles(10-25lb) roasted whole are finger licken good. That particular boar lost about 3 inches of spinal column to that ballistic tip.so he didnt move.

Come on over -no limit and no season I bet several of us texicans could show you some hog shooting. How bout DSC in Jan?

SSR

Eish...... but I'd love to get over there and take you up on that...... and I adore Texas. tu2

Unfortunately, we don't do the conventions because we sell too much of our seasons to make the conventions a viable proposition.

We're busy with the website and a few other things such as getting my book to hard copy at the moment but hope to find time for a holiday to the States in 2011 or 12 and if we can manage it,you can bet your life, we'll definitely come to Texas. Smiler

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Steve, put a good bullet in the right spot and they will all quit. With a bad shot, they just run.

My best to date, is 280 lbs with a 308 Win.

I have even finished off a trapped pig with a 32ACP, and lots with a 22lr pistol. (brained)

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I'd certainly like to try for one sometime! Smiler

One of Us
Picture of SemperFiHunter
posted Hide Post
Steve,
If you get to come to Texas, please give me a call. I'd be honored to have you at either of my 2 hog hunting places. As a return favor for you keeping my guns in your safe last May while we went to Kruger with Andrew. I'll pm you my cell #. Both places are east of Dallas.

Sincerely,
John

REMANUS DURUS CORPS!

Posts: 65 | Location: Republic of Texas. | Registered: 16 May 2008Reply With Quote