New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Texas Feral Hog Weights?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The first hog I shot was gutted and skinned before anyone thought of weighing it. The scales on hand went to 240 lbs., and it pegged them. It was the biggest of a group of about 30 that were grazing on boot-top high wheat. We estimated it at 300 lbs. I have seen a couple that were bigger looking, but havent taken a bigger one yet. Most of the ones on the river are larger than the ones in dry areas, but nothing is chisled in stone.

I have to agree with Gatogordo and NE 450 No2 that I can tell no diffence in taste of the big ones. If not processed properly you can definitely tell a difference, but sizedoesnt seem to matter, (thats what I keep telling my wife). My hunting buddy swears that the big ones taste best. I am not sure about that, but I cant taste a difference if properly dressed.

Good luck and good shooting,
Eterry

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quote:

MrMike
I was not trying to question the accuracy of your scale. I was saying from the picture of your hog, baised on pigs we have shot and weighed that your pig was indeed a BIG ONE and there is no "blue sky" in your figures. Try to find a "spice" called "GRUB RUB", around here Albertsons carryes it. It has a lot of brown sugar in it and it is good on all meat from chicken to Bear.
Once again that is a nice pig.

Wasn't offended at all with the scale thing. . . It was a very large hog, that's for sure!! Other than an elk or warthog, it's by far the biggest thing I've ever harvested!!

I'll see if I can find some of the "GRUB RUB", never heard of it, but will make an effort at trying to find some.

Thanks again for the suggestions,
-Mr Mike

Posts: 12 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote