New
Find
Notify
Tools

What’s Up?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is it too hot to hunt or too hot for the pigs to move? No kills posted since my Jul 12 sit. Or maybe we are getting old and lazy?

At any rate I checked my place out towards Gonzales today . A single boar has been in the trap since Jul 9th and only pics of 2 boars at the shoot feeder—one med-lge—about 170# and one lge-about 200#

So I am sitting at the local spot where I mowed the shooting lane this week in hopes of posting an “LDP” for everyone’s vicarious enjoyment.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, wasn't a dry hole but not a success either. Hog showed up about 9:45 as a dark silhouette about 60-80 yds out between me and the feeder. switched on the thermal, got a good (?) rest, and squeezed off a shot when he turned broadside. And, I watched him flinch and run off. No blood sign and weeds are waist high, so the thermal was of little value in the search.

Tomorrow I will return and check for buzzard activity--

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm, read your post and see if it needs

editing or not. "pig in trap since Jul 9-"

Hot weather I'd start looking where there's

water they can roll in.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5949 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Uh---yep--should read "only a solo boar has visited the trep since July 9th."

And the last sentence was edited as well. Dang fat fumble fingers and predictive spelling.

And, we got 3.5" of rain last night so I won't even be able to drive into the pasture to check buzzard activity before tomorrow.

One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
Invest into the thermal optics. I hunted Oklahoma last weekend, all in the evening and through the night. Rested all day. GAME CHANGER.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 364 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WLW:
Invest into the thermal optics. I hunted Oklahoma last weekend, all in the evening and through the night. Rested all day. GAME CHANGER.

I have a thermal scope on the rifle, and a hand-held scanner as well. Worth every dollar -- except the pigs don't think so.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's better. Sounded like that pig was
going hungry by now.

Been getting some nice rains up here too.
Never bitch about getting rain in the dry country.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5949 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
May have told this story on here before, but I'm gonna repeat it georgeld---

I was sitting by the fire on our south Texas hunting lease talking with a local cow man and I was complaining because the ranch roads were so muddy we couldn't drive to our stands. I said I wished it would quit raining, we'd had enough rain. His response was classic--"Listen bud, you can have rain, no rain, lots of rain, even too much rain, but you can never have enough rain, so quit your bellyaching."

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Have plenty of hogs coming in daily, they are actually coming in during the day right now too.

No good boars, lots of sows and piglets. Mosquitoes are real bad right now. Been swamped at work and lost my deer lease for this year...landowner sold. Luckily that isn't the property that we bave all of the hogs on.

Hopefully the November Nilgai hunt + maybe 1 more hunt comes along that will keep me occupied during deer season.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3319 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dusty:

That guy had it figured out right on the money!

I spent my teen summers on a high mtn ranch where the rancher claimed he could predict Colorado weather and be right every time.

"It's either gonna clear up or clear up to your ass". Claimed he'd seen it do both many times up there.

Cheers,

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well went back for another sit last night---two showed up about 10:45 at the feeder--114 yds away. Get the rifle up and on the rest, scope turned on, click the safety off, and wait until I have a broadside shot at the earhole of either. BAM!!! Same result as the last time--hogs departed in a hurry, leaving no blood! Confused Next time I pull the trigger it will be off the rest at a stationary target to check zero. The sit before these misses, I killed 3, and can't remember bumping the scope at all.

Oh well, range time will show if the rifle zero is the problem or if this old guy is -- Mad

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wood stock or plastic?

IF wood, might have warped in all that
rain you've been having.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
posted Hide Post
George---it's an AR with metal/synthetic--tomorrow will tell at the range--

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK--finally got to the range this afternoon--first two shots at 50 yds off the bench were an inch out at 10 o'clock. Did the re-zero procedure and next round was in the 10 ring. So, based on this, the misses were not due to the rifle, but due to the shooter. Now, I have recently been diagnosed with macular degeneration in one eye---but that is my right eye and I'm a lefty thru and thru so that excuse won't fly. So, next trip out I am going to work on my rest. I generally put a folded towel on the outside mirror, driver's side, and rest the rifle on it. I think perhaps my seat is too far back and the barrel rather than the fore end is on the towel. We'll see as the pigs are still coming though generally later. I'm going to turn the feeder up a bit and maybe 15 minutes earlier.

Report to follow.