New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone know about hogs in NM??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend from back east mailed me a map showing there's hogs in NM.
I'd like to know more about it IF someone know's some facts about it and where.

OR in Colo would be even better.

Thank you,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
They are not under every bush like they are here in Texas...yet. They have shown up in eastern and southern New Mexico.

This is from January, 2009:

"The feral hog is rapidly becoming the new coyote, or pest, for farmers across eastern New Mexico, a state agriculutural official said Thursday at the 41st annual Agricultural and Home Economics Seminar in Tucumcari.

State officials outlined the problem as well as a creative program still being developed to help control feral hogs.

Feral or wild hogs damage land and crops and carry at least 37 parasites that can affect people, pets, livestock and wildlife, said biologist Justin Stevenson, who is the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Animal Plant and Health Inspection Services.

Stevenson said feral hogs can also be carriers of bovine tuberculosis and pseudo-rabies.

“When a feral hog spreads the pseudo-rabies to livestock, it usually results in...death,” Stevenson said. “The livestock start exhibiting symptoms such as a mad itch and die within one day.”

“Two years ago in Texas, 9,500 feral hogs were killed,” Stevenson said. “This number reflects the number of hogs killed on public or state land. The private landowners want to keep the hogs on their lands for hunting.”

Currently in Oklahoma some 400 feral hogs a week are being killed, Stevenson said.

The exact number of feral hogs in New Mexico is still unknown, Stevenson said.

April 2010:
Rules for Hunting Feral Hogs in New Mexico

Feral hogs are hunted with little regulation in New Mexico.The term "feral hog" is often also used to refer to Eurasian wild boar (also known as Russian wild boar) and a hybrid between a Eurasian wild boar and feral hog. In New Mexico law, the term "feral hog" is used as an umbrella term to describe all three types of animal.

Licensing Requirements
It is legal for New Mexico residents to hunt feral hogs without a license, but hunters from out of state need a hunting license--of any kind--to legally hunt feral hogs. There is no "feral hog season." Feral hogs can be hunted all year. However, if the feral hogs are on private land, the hunter must get permission from the landowner to hunt on that land.

Where to Hunt

Feral hogs are found in several counties in New Mexico: De Baca, Eddy, Harding, Hidalgo, Lea, Lincoln, Otero, Quay, Roosevelt, Socorro and Union--mostly located in the southeast area of the state. If possible, it is a good idea to scout game trails in these areas when not hunting to determine the locations with the largest populations.

Methods of Hunting

There are many methods used to hunt a feral hog, and all are legal in New Mexico. For example, a hunter can wait in a tree stand or blind; hunt over bait, use food to lure in the hog; trap the hog; or use trained dogs.

Hunters are not required in New Mexico to hire a guide, but inexperienced and out-of-state hunters might have a better experience using a hunting guide. If a hunter chooses to use a guide, she should check references and ask for a supply list before choosing a business.

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard (fairly reputable source) that they are now in the Rio Grande Bosque south of Albuquerque to the border... a lot of this (all?) land is private ... but most ranchers SHOULD want to be rid of them. Don't know about "night hunting" them in NM but I also don't know of any prohibition but the game wardens are hell on spot lighting deer and elk, so "night hunting" could be a problem.

Posts: 260 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Night hunting hogs is much like night hunting for coyotes - you can do it on private land with landowner permission or on state lease land while accompanied by the lease holder. It would be advisable to notify neighbors and/or the local game warden before engaging in night shooting, as spotlighting for pretty much anything else is illegal in this state with fairly stiff penalties.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
DR-Are y'all seeing hogs yet over your way?

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
“Two years ago in Texas, 9,500 feral hogs were killed,” Stevenson said. “This number reflects the number of hogs killed on public or state land. The private landowners want to keep the hogs on their lands for hunting.”

animal

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen hogs with my own two eyes south of Cloudcroft on several diff occassions.. saw a mess of them in 2 diff groups just a few months back (late Aug) while scouting for elk.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob in TX:
DR-Are y'all seeing hogs yet over your way?

Bob

That would be a negative. I suspect it's just too dry here. May not be enough to eat either, unless they're real fond of mesquite and creosote. I understand they're coming up the Pecos River from Texas in eastern NM, have been released around Timberon in the south central mountains (explaining Scotty's sightings near Cloudcroft, which I've heard from numerous others too), and are gaining a foothold in the private valleys in far western NM where there's some agriculture and better access to water and feed. If they're along the Rio Grande south of here, they must not be getting through El Paso.

Javelina sure seem to be expanding their range though. In the past couple years they've been spotted locally in places where nobody remembers them ever being.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
DR-Thanks for the update.

Doubless-They obviously didn't talk to any Texas land owners. Big Grin

SB-They are expanding everywhere. If you don't already have hogs in Texas, just wait, you will.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
“Two years ago in Texas, 9,500 feral hogs were killed,” Stevenson said.

Which county was that? They need to get on the ball and step it up a little....

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks much everyone.
I've been off taking care of business
and forgotten all about posting this
and a good many other things recently.

DR: I apologize for sending another pm too.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SHOOT UM.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote