Notify
Tools

Need help with Tusk prep
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steven30127
posted
Hi,

Many of you may remember a couple of weeks ago that my daughter killed her first pig. At the time she told me she wanted to extract the tusks and make them into necklaces and jewlery.

Well,....we buried the head in the back yard (without my wifes knowledge I might add) and last night extracted the four tusks. I have cleaned them off, and let them bleach over night.

I have read that they should be filled with epoxy which I can do. The question I have is two fold.

1) The internal ends of the tusks are ragged and I'm wondering if I should / can...file them down before or after filling them with the goop.

2) Anyone ever make these things into jewlery??? Got any ideas on what to do with them? Carolyn will probably figure out exatly what she wants, but I figured maybe one of you guys could help give me some pointers so I can steer her in the right direction.

Thanks!

Posts: 257 | Location: Aliso Viejo, California | Registered: 09 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steven,
It is common for Polynesians to make and wear pig tusk jewellry. Have a custom goldsmith cap the two back ends together making almost a full circle, subject to tusk size, length, and curvature, for a very impressive necklace ornament.

You need not trim the back end or fill with epoxy. If the tusks are still stained or have some left overs in the root canal, try soaking in OxyClean for a few days.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 620 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Epoxy works but so does white glue (Elmers)

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
just use any candle .. light a candle and fill the tusks while it melts ... much easier and more practical

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On all of my warthog tusks I filled, I just used fiberglas resin (it leaves it a nice neutral brown color inside the root canal). Put some sand in a shoe box, stuck the tusks down in to it to remove the heat of reaction, and took them out in one hour. It poured in nice, set up fast, and was nice and smooth. I taped the jagged ends around several times with scotch tape to make the top nice and even, and filled it up to the rim.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i fill them and then file them flattop when the epoxy is cured. also, if you are going to need hangers on the tooffesses, sticking a jewelry wire into the epoxy when you are filling it

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38569 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I filled a warthog tusk with silicon sealant. Worked pretty good.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
put a bit of oil and seal it with candle but with the years they get cracked,in the outside i put women nail paint.juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6367 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote