New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Miles Ranch hunt report, as promised
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
They have a pretty good population, all sizes to pick from. I ended up shooting the biggest of the three we took. There are some real big ones there, but we were after eating size ones. I'm trying out the new pic posting service offered by Sheldon Charron, so I hope these come through ok. In the interest of loading speed, I reduced the resolution on these quite a bit...

This first one is me and my dad with my hog:

And this is me with our guide Todd:

maxman

Posts: 337 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry it took me a while to get back - work was a bugger. Anyway, 3 of us had a hog hunt at the Miles Ranch in Nebraska the last week in Sept. What a great trip! Each of us got our hog, and the service and company was great. Todd, our guide, was really good. Nice guys to have a beer with at the end of the day, too.

Summary:
My Dad shot his at 44 yds with a .50 cal maxi-ball from his traditional muzzleloader the first morning. Dropped it in it's tracks, due to a shoulder/lung shot that sent bone pieces up to pulverize the spine.

My buddy shot his at just over 100 yds with a 270 WSM, factory Accubond loads, the first afternoon. Also one shot and dropped (nice neck shot), but it did slide back down the muddy slope it was on

Mine was shot at 14 yds with the 338-06AI, 200 gr Hornady SP, on the next afternoon. I took a low neck shot as well, but the close range kinda expanded the damage area to one front shoulder too. He bled out _real_ well, though. Normally, I carried a pistol for that kind of situation, but left it behind that day in anticipation of longer shots across meadows. Oh well, you can't be prepared for everything all the time.

Overall, a great time. I can personally recommend this place for a hog hunt. I'll be going back again I'm sure. Now that the 338-06 has officially drawn its first blood, I'm ready for deer season here! Plus, I'm liking this hog hunting thing. It's the first time I've hunted hogs, and it won't be the last. maxman

Posts: 337 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maxman..
Thanks for the report. Russell Taylor, I believe,hunted there a couple years back and had good words, also.

Seems like you all had a good time. Yes, hog hunting can get into the system. Please post pics if you have them.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How big were the hogs? What kind of hog population do they have?

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote