THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HOG HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hogs, Warthogs, Wild Boars, Javelinas Hunting    Been a while plus a new 6,5x55 SE Sauer 101 Classic first time out!

Moderators: Whitworth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Been a while plus a new 6,5x55 SE Sauer 101 Classic first time out!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted

Have not posted for a while so I thought I would put this one up. Sorry for the somewhat 'colourful' first picture. First pig / animal with me new Sauer 101 in 6,5x55 SE - was a terrible angle but managed back of the neck and out the offside front. A midnight sounder of 5 - 6 pigs. Dropped on the spot. No meat damage. Dressed out at 21 kgs. Good eating young boar! Waidmannsheil !

Ps the cut in the front leg is where the sample was taken for the trichinosis test - one piece of internal muscle (typically the diaphragm) and one external muscle sample (typically taken off the front leg).

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie, who does the trichinosis test? Is that a standard practice there?

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Biebs hi. Internal muscle (typically a piece of the diaphragm) and an external muscle sample (usually off front leg) are taken and submitted to the State Vets Office along with a form stating where shot, age, sex and weight. The Vets Office does the tests free of charge and if you do not hear back from them in 48 hours from submission then you can process the pig. If it tests positive then they call you and you have to deliver up the carcass. Has never happened to us so far.....

Needs to be done on all wild boar and badger.

System works pretty well.

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting! How are you liking the Sauer 101? Accuracy good?

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Liking the 101 a lot. Good groupings at 100m and pretty good at 200m but thats more me than the gun. Looking forward to taking it to Africa in May / June for long range springbok!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Needs to be done on all wild boar and badger.

I knew that economic conditions and fuel prices were making things difficult in Europe, but they've got you eating badgers?

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

We had this conversation before on AR - smoked badger hams ..... a delicacy in many parts of Europe. Nothing else really gets used eaten other than the hams. But a lot of folks render down the fat as a rub!

Have eaten smoked badger on one occasion on a Ritz cracker and must say that it was not at all bad !