Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Charged?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted
I've guided professionally for wild pigs in CA for almost 17 years and have hunted them all my life. We don't hunt with dogs so I'm sure I see fewer charges than those guys.
Over the last 1400 +/- pigs we've taken since I started the business I've gotten good charges 6 times (read "very rare" if you're paying attention to your shooting and the pigs' behavior). On those charges I've been real lucky and have either been able to put the pigs down before they got to us or have been able to dance out of the way.

My other guide has worked for me for about 9 years and has gotten two charges. He got hurt slightly on the first one.

We've only had one client hurt. He needed a few stitches but it wasn't life threatening.

I'm not including pigs running toward you because you're in the way as they head to cover, etc. I'm not including charges from sows protecting their young. We've never had a pig in either category complete a charge. I'm not saying it won't happen but we work darn hard to get out their way and really watch their behavior when we get in close. (I don't ever want to have to shoot a sow that's just doing her motherly duty. I only wish human mothers protected their young that well, but that's another thread.)

I'm only referring to older wounded boars that want to settle a score when you pursue them. Those account for all the serious charges I've witnessed.

As to how much punishment they can take; I've been completely shocked how little immediate reaction they have to being hit unless it's in the central nervous system (CNS). I've shot boars coming at me at just a few feet in the chest, etc. with full house .44 Mag. rounds to very little (immediate) effect unless it's a CNS hit. Adrenaline is a wonderful thing!

Sometimes things just go wrong, my time may be coming. But no offense to the many people telling horror stories out there but very often when someone corners me at the shooting range, etc. that got hit by a pig I usually hear some basic mistake they made. Such as approaching without sufficient caution, not shooting backup shots ("Oh, I hit him good on the first one, it will die!") and so on.

If it's a big boar and it gets back to the thick stuff wounded be VERY careful. Place your first shot well using a good bullet and you'll NEVER have a problem.

Great hunting with great hunters,
Kyler

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt wild pigs quite a bit. I have had a few charges and a few instances where they were just "running in my direction". It is sometimes hard to tell the difference.
I did meet a fella in a gun store that was charged, knocked down, and "savaged" by a wild pig, and had the scars to prove it. He finally shot the pig off of him with a S&W 500. He did not have a holster for it and it took him a while to get it out of his pocket, as he was on the ground on his back. Pigs can be dangerous.
Some people are killed driving to the grocery store, the statistics may be low, but statistics are not important to the dead.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote