Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Hog Hunting Question?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted
Are non-residents required to by a Hunting License to hunt feral hogs on private land?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Yes. Any hunting, anywhere. But you can get a 5-day non-resident tag pretty cheap. You may be able to do it online here:

Buy online

Non-resident 5-Day Special Hunting (Type 157): $48
Legal for any period of five consecutive days (valid hunting dates will be printed on the license when
issued). Valid to hunt: E xotic animals (see pg. 69), all legal game birds (except turkeys), all nongame
animals, squirrel, javelina and alligator (not valid for other game animals, NOT VALI D FO R
DEE R). Stamp endorsement requirements apply.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I think you are somewhat incorrect. I just read in the regulations online that when hunting on private property for hogs that are doing damage, no license is required. The term they use is "Depredating Hogs". See page 25
I had just found this on line. I could be wrong?

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I think that's a reference for the landowner only (or agent). If you have a good friend that will "hire" you as his agent to remove deprevating hogs you might be OK. It will depend on if the GW thinks its legit or not. If he suspects otherwise he'll write you up and let you prove to the JP you're a hired hand. Really not worth the risk for $48.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

EXOTIC ANIMALS AND FOWL
Exotic animal refers to grass-eating or plant-eating, single-hoofed or cloven-hoofed mammals that are not indigenous or native to Texas and are known as ungulates, including animals from the deer and antelope families that landowners have introduced into this state. Includes, but is not limited to feral hog, Aoudad sheep, Axis deer, Elk, Sika deer, Fallow deer, Blackbuck antelope, Nilgai antelope, and Russian boar. Exotic fowl refers to any avian species that is not indigenous to this state, including ratites (emu, ostrich, rhea, cassowary, etc.).
There are no state bag or possession limits or closed seasons on exotic animals or fowl on private property. It is against the law to:
Hunt an exotic without a valid hunting license.
Hunt an exotic on a public road or right-of-way.
Hunt an exotic without the landowner's permission.
Possess an exotic or the carcass of an exotic without the owner's consent.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I might add that Texas Game Wardens are all over the place on discretionary issues like this. Some (if not most) are champs that know we have a hog problem here and don't care if someone lets an out of state friend have some fun with hogs one weekend. A small percentage can be anal-retentive pricks that look for reasons to write tickets, well founded or not. There's no accountability if they write a preponderence of tickets that are dismissed in court.

ALL of them will write you up on a commercial operation if you're a tourist hunter hunting without a license.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're from Iowa and don't own the land, I suspect that most GWs will somehow find it hard to believe that you're an agent or lessee. Basically if someone chooses to claim one of the above they would be attempting to lie or deceive to save $48.......but hey, a good lawyer could likely get you off at about $200 an hour, starting when he leaves his office. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I agree with the part that it's not worth the risk to save $48.00! We will be going down around Clarksville, TX in about a week and I intend to spend the $48.00. Thanks guys

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Texas you need a hunting license to kill a rattle snake.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You won't be far from me, I'm just over 20 mi E of Clarksville. I'm not sure what I'll have going on, feeding cattle and oldest daughter is in State basketball playoffs. But if you have the time, give me a call and drop by. PM sent.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
If you're from Iowa and don't own the land, I suspect that most GWs will somehow find it hard to believe that you're an agent or lessee.

The Game Warden who wrote us all warnings seemed to agree with Gatogordo. We paid to hunt there, it was hunting, not depredation control. The landowner didn't get a warning, he got a big fine.

The 5 day permit was $48 bucks, well worth it. The Game Warden was a super nice guy, it was a joy to meet him. The State Trooper who pulled us over on the way to get our licenses was nice, too! Two LEO's, two warnings. We must look honest!

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Yes, you need the license!

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sgt Brown
posted Hide Post
And what if you are a "snowbird" down from the north for three months? Do they have a license that addresses that?

Tom

DRSS
NRA Life

"Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can - if necessary - look any man in the eye and tell him to go to hell!" US Cavalry Manual 1923

Posts: 93 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Nope. You have to buy a standard non-resident for all game at $315 or a special non-game (exotics, pigs etc) for $132. Good for the whole season.

One of Us
Picture of Sgt Brown
posted Hide Post
$132 for three months of pig-popping isn't bad at all.tu2 If I want deer, etc., I can do that in Ohio. I'd be looking to assassinate some porkers.flame

Tom

DRSS
NRA Life

"Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can - if necessary - look any man in the eye and tell him to go to hell!" US Cavalry Manual 1923

Posts: 93 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
What dates does that $132.00 license cover? Is it like Jan 1st to December 31st or what?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our licenses expire the first of September each year. Theoretically, that means the $132 is from 9/1-8/31. However, if you buy the license in October there is no prorating of costs, it is the same fee for less than a year. At least that is the way the resident license works...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Larry-It covers the same animals as the 5-day license:

Non-resident Special Hunting (Type 107): $132
Valid to hunt: Exotic animals, all legal game birds (NOT VALID FOR TURKEY), all nongame animals, squirrel, javelina and alligator (not valid for other game animals, NOT VALID FOR DEER). Stamp endorsement requirements apply.

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Yes, I knew that. It's the dates I'm wondering about? I read somewhere that it expires in August I think?

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Doubless
Thanks, that's the info I was looking for.
Larry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tx yearly hunting licenses expire 8/31.

For most visiting hog hunters I'd recommend the 5 day non-resident license for $48. You can specify dates on license. For instance, one could buy the license on Fri and specify the hunting dates for Sat thru Wed. A hunter would have to buy 3 5 days before he'd start losing money vs the same yearly license at $132 and then only $12.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there a limit on Javelina with this license?

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
Is there a limit on Javelina with this license?

There is a limit of 2 per year in the counties in which javalina are permitted to be hunted with ANY Texas hunting license. This license is subject to the same limit.

xxxxxxxxxx