New
Find
Notify
Tools

fair price for a hog hunt?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is a fair price for a hog hunt in Texas. I keep reading how ranchers are pulling out their hair because they are overrun with hogs. When you contact them for a price to hunt hogs on their property they say $500, $600, $700 and one fellow quoted $800. I don't mind paying my way, but Jeeze, to me, for people complaining that their land is being ruined and livestock in trouble because of the exploding hog population, that seems a whole hell of a lot off base to me. That's the price to hunt on their land and take two hogs by the way. Is this out of line, or am I out of line? Thanks ... Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not an outfitter but I know several guys that let people shoot hogs for 1/2 of what these guys quoted you. I guess it sort of depends on what's included in the package but $700 for a couple of hogs seems outrageous to me.

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
depends on the hunt and ranch...

an exotic ranch will get from 100-300 per day and a per pound or per pig price.. and don't be surprised if the trophy fees goes up 50% for a huge hog...

a farmer or landowner, should be something like 50 bucks a pig.

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38608 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They're just like everyone selling a commodity, they're charging what they think the market will bear. If no one pays their price, they'll either quit offering it or lower it.

Many of the "hog hunt" places, especially the heavily advertised ones, are put and take, with relatively small enclosures where you "hunt". It depends on how slick the operation is, some of them really try to project a real hunting image, some others herd the pigs around into shooting range with a 4 wheeler. I don't have much regard for such "hunting" myself. But to be fair, many of them are cheap enough that you're basically shooting dinner so it ain't all bad.

OTOH there are many ranches that have a plethora of hogs, and offer real hunting. I haven't hunted on any of them, or any of the other type either, for that matter, but I'm sure you can find some recs in this forum by asking or seaching the archives.

If you've got some kind of bird hunting or something similar in NM you want to offer in trade, you can come hunt hogs on my place for free, HOWEVER, now is not the time......when it dries up and we're dryer than a popcorn fart now, need some rain desperately, they tend to leave my immediate area. Plus I killed quite a few at one shooting about a month back and that herd of 50 or so moved on, best as I can tell. There are still a few around, but with tall grass and heat, they are very hard to find. Best time on my place is about Oct to late April. In addition, I wouldn't want you to come until I called you and told you that you'd have a good chance of killing some. Also, there is no guarantee that you'll kill one or more. Some days are chicken and some are feathers. I kill pretty well every hog I see (well, at least one out of a group anyway) unless I know I've got a friend coming to hunt them in which case I lay off of them until he/they get here. I've never called someone and not had them have an opportunity to kill a hog but it could happen. Finally, I'm just about as far from NM as I can be and still be in Texas, it might be cheaper and easier to find a hunt in central, or N central Texas rather than have to drive an extra 400 plus miles one way.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, guess it depends on if you are a local, or an out-of-stater. I'm looking at one that is 3 days, 4 nights, 3meals per day, guide, walk in cooler, and skin/quarter for about $850. I don't think thats too bad, cause we'll be driving over 1,000 miles to get there, and don't have to hassle with anything. JMHO.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think $850 for 3 days of all inclusive hog hunting is a bad deal. Sounds like it's a pretty fair deal IMO. That's why I said in an earlier post that it all depends on what is included in that price.

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$100 for a hog in Northern BC in the vicinity of Dawson Ck. Of course that is just to buy the animal, it is up to you as to how you harvest it and doesn't include accomadations. derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can do archery hunts most anywhere in S. Texas for $100/day or cheaper. This doesn't include food nor a guide but most if not all the ranch managers will send you to a blind or other set-up in an honest attempt to get you on to some hogs.

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
The group from our board does four or so hog hunts each year here in Texas. They are all free range, no high fences. These are usually from noon Friday to noon Sunday and include lodging. Some include meals and on some we do our own cooking. All include field dressing. Some offer skinning and quartering for a small additional fee. We pay from $200-$300 per hunt. Most are unlimited hogs and include predators. We hunt as far north as the Abilene area and way down into south Texas. You just have to look around a bit. I will be happy to recommend a couple of places if you like.

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gentleman Jack
posted Hide Post
Go to Wilderness Lodge in Monteray Tennessee. $545 for a 3 day 3 night hunt with guide and all meals provided. An extra $85 gets your hog processed in steaks, chops and sausage then placed in sealed freezer bags. A+ place. Average size taken, 250lbs and no kill no pay guarantee. 1100 acres.

"There are creatures here that cannot even be found in books, and I have killed them all......"

Posts: 273 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
we have a special ofert for low season 3 days hunting with dogos for 2 hunters 1000us all included.juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6369 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys need to come down to Florida. Chappy"s Outfitters out of Lakeport Florida are offering hog hunts for $100.00 a pig per person. Second hog is only $80.00. No size limits. Doesn't matter if it's 20 lbs, or 200 lbs. it is $100.00. They have brand new accomodations for $69.00 a night for two people. Food is only a 10 minute or less drive away. You can find them at http://www.okeechobee-hunting-fishing.com
800-358-5541
Talk to Bret Conway, he'll take good care of you and tell him Alfredo Morrell from Miami sent you.

If you go to the website ignore the posted fees and take a look at the flyer across the screen that saids wild hog extravanza. It's awful hot here now but you can hunt the early morning, sleep all day and then hunt the evening. You can hunt with dogs or tree stands. Once I learn how to post a picture I will post some. We went six of us and got seven hogs.

Posts: 50 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: 15 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MAy sound silly but try Ebay. Search 'hog hunting' and see for yourself.

Posts: 50 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
No question you get what you pay for. $500 to $800 for the "Guide", meat processsing, freezer, clean room & board. Most of that hunt is overhead for the "Outfitter". That is still is only a $100 hog.

I completely agree about the whining. We had a thread about this on the Hog Forum of the Bowsite. I man came on bitching about the fact that HOG HUNTERS on a HOG FORUM should be so excited about hunting hogs as they were a blight on the land.

Then when we offered to send possie after possie down that spring to kill his unwanted hogs, the reply was.......NO!!!! you'll ruin my land for my deer management.

I hope he enjoys the sound of hogs in the morning eating his food plots.

BTW - We did offer a tresspass fee, and to donate excess meat to the church of his choice or local food pantry.

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
That's kind of what I've been thinking too.

Here, we have groundhogs...and I'll tell you as long as you aren't shooting holes in somebodies equipment or barns, or livestock - I don't know a farmer around that wouldn't want you shooting them.

With that said, I suppose if I were to drive down there, I'd want some sort of success. And never hunting them before...a guide would be worth some cash.

If they really were tearing things up like everyone says, you'd think that there would be a lot more ranches wanting you to drop everyone you see....unless they're making more money guiding than they are farming(which is entirely believable).

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fireball168:

Here's some good free advice......don't come to Texas expecting some rancher to say "Sure, just go ahead and hunt hogs on my place." It can happen, and does, to people with dogs and the reputation of catching hogs, but I sure wouldn't drive down here hoping you'd find a place to hunt hogs for free.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob in TX:
The group from our board does four or so hog hunts each year here in Texas. They are all free range, no high fences. These are usually from noon Friday to noon Sunday and include lodging. Some include meals and on some we do our own cooking. All include field dressing. Some offer skinning and quartering for a small additional fee. We pay from $200-$300 per hunt. Most are unlimited hogs and include predators. We hunt as far north as the Abilene area and way down into south Texas. You just have to look around a bit. I will be happy to recommend a couple of places if you like.

Good Hunting,

Bob

Recommendations for anything "affordable", & south of San Antonio would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in Corpus, & my partner is in Harlingen.... Thanks in advance!

Regards - GCF
"Sometimes you make eight - Sometimes you hit dirt"

Posts: 287 | Location: Corpus Christi, TX | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dang gcf, you ought to be able to find a farmer down in your area that will let you hunt. Farmers ain't like the deer ranchers. Hogs cause them major money losses. I'd imagine anywhere between you and Mathis should have hogs and I know that the area between Lamar Peninsula and Tivoli is loaded with hogs.

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I dont know anything about these folks but for their recent ad.

wra1yb@kricket.net

Tel # 318/941-2355.

I'd think for the advertised 25$/hunt/person + 1$/lb it is something on the order of meat hogs and not trophys.

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
gcf,

Here are a few in south Texas to get you started. I have hunted with each of them.

Haun Ranch Link
E. Tom Ranch
Smith Bros. Ranch Link

Here is one I have talked with and plan on setting up a parent/child hunt with.
Stone Creek Link

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Walker:
Dang gcf, you ought to be able to find a farmer down in your area that will let you hunt. Farmers ain't like the deer ranchers. Hogs cause them major money losses. I'd imagine anywhere between you and Mathis should have hogs and I know that the area between Lamar Peninsula and Tivoli is loaded with hogs.

Well yeah, you'ld think so... I talk to 'em where ever I meet 'em, such as barber shop, where ever, & to date, I have heard "Nooo, don't need no help w/ the hogs", or "Sure you can shoot 'em on my place" - but then are unavailable to show the property. Sheesh.

I really think that the biggest problem is that I did not grow up in this area, & don't know these guys.

Realisticly, guess I don't blame a guy for not wanting strangers on his place. Not w/ all the beer bottle dropping, fence crashing, stock shooting, gate opening, idiot city boys, out looking for a place to party (er, I mean hunt).

Regards - GCF

Posts: 287 | Location: Corpus Christi, TX | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob in TX:
gcf,

Here are a few in south Texas to get you started. I have hunted with each of them.

Good Hunting,

Bob

Thanks for the links Bob, I'll look in to them.

Interesting that most of these guys do not allow stalking. Wonder why?

Regards - GCF