New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a Good Texas Hog hunt-Again
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My buddy and I did our first Texas hog hunt, back in Feb. Loved the weather and the people, and the ranch we hunted on. However, we were a little disappointed in the number and size of the hogs we saw[we each got a small meat sow]. In fairness to the rancher, we didn't plan well, and the last 2 days, the moon was out full, and bright. Sooo...we are looking for another hog/javelina hunt for late Feb./early Mar., 2005. However, we want more than the usual 2-3 day hunt, since we will be driving from northern Indiana. We would like a 4 day, 5 night deal. We would rather sit feeders, or do spot and stalk, rather than hunt with dogs. We will both be hunting with guns, so bowhunting ranches are out. Ideally, we'd like to get a couple of meat hogs apiece, then spend the time looking for a trophy boar. Javelinas would be nice, but would forego them, to get into some quality hogs. Anybody got a place to look into, down in Texas? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to www.texasboars.com once there, go to outdoors message board/leases, guides, outfitters Regards Mike

Posts: 308 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 12 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mad Dog,

Check out Camp Cooley Ranch.

http://www.campcooley.com/hunt.htm

From their web site:

Some of What Camp Cooley Offers:

o Lodging FREE with hunt

o Experienced Guides - $150/hunter/day

o Walk In Cooler

o Archery Hunting

o Rifle Hunting

o Fishing

o Cook and meals available on request - $150/weekend

Feral Hogs - $50 per hog

$100 trophy fee for hogs with 2" or larger tusks< !--color-->

Hog hunting takes place over the entire ranch (11,000 acres). (At least it did when I was there in 2001.) Be aware that the exotic hunting is in an area of only about 1100 acres. Not very big but it has some VERY thick brush so it doesn't seem so small. But, since you're after hogs, then you should have the entire ranch to hunt.

A friend and I will probably book a hog hunt again with them for this year. We had a great time when we went in 2001. We saw lots of hogs. Big boars too, but we were only interested in the smaller meat hogs. I don't think they have Javelina, though. But you might get a chance at a Coyote even though they're not listed on the species page on their web site.

Great place, friendly folks. Nice bunkhouse for visiting hunters. You'll have the bunkhouse to yourselves. Showers, bathrooms, and a full kitchen. Nice place. And the ranch is beautiful! It's in the eastern part of Texas so there's lots of trees and greenery. The ranch is a working cattle ranch (breeding operation) and has some of the most beautiful pastures I've ever seen.

Here's the link to the map for their location:

http://www.campcooley.com/map.html

I'm glad you enjoyed your previous trip to Texas. Come on back down and have a good time.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob, I looked at their website, now I have a coupla questions for you about their operation.

1. Did you spot and stalk, set in blinds over feeders?

2. Did you hunt at night?

3. Were the guides with you all the time? Or could you hunt on your own?

Mad Dog

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.lazyrhunts.com
This place might be able to help, I got back from there yesterday, 2nd time hunting there. best thing is 1 price covers everything- no extra fees or surprises.

Posts: 89 | Location: south central kansas | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rufus, I shot them an email a week and a half ago, so far no response. If I don't hear from them soon, I'll shoot them another email. BTW, how did your hunt go, how about some info?

Mad Dog

one of us
posted Hide Post
We shot 8 hogs,2 rattlesnakes, and 1 javi. The ones that stalked(me) saw lots of hogs ( 175 to 200) and we all saw more javi's than hogs. The hogs weighed 150 to 225 # or so. The ranch had some 5" of rain the week before hence the snakes-thier dens had flooded. We didn't see any snakes the year before. You can hunt any way you wish(they don't have dogs). The thing that I like best is that the hunter only has to hunt, no cooking,cleaning, or camp chores. If you e=mail them again feel free to use my name-Mitch Montgomery.

Posts: 89 | Location: south central kansas | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got an answer back from Chris, and it sounded pretty good. 5 nites, 4 full days of hog hunting, and 1 javelina-$900. Coupla questions for you about the operation. First, does the price include skinning and quartering[instead of the usual$25-$50 per critter]? Were you allowed to drive to your own hunting area, or did the guides always have to take you? How was the food? Did you drive, or fly to San Antonio, and rent a car? Let me know, I got next years hunt down between lazyR, and one other place.

Mad Dog

one of us
posted Hide Post
That price includes everything-no additional fees. Like you I'm pi$$ed off when they ask for a kill fee or a processing fee. They even had shampoo and tooth paste in the bathrooms.
They will do a little better than quarter the hogs- darn near butcher complete (you will need to grind for sausage etc).You won't take your car in the field, they will drop off and pick up although you might drive one of thier rigs w/ a blind in the truck bed. Food has been real good the last 2 years & plenty of it, I brag a lot on Maria's cooking. We have always driven from wichita( about 13 hours each way). If you try another place- let me know what it's like-I wouldn't mind finding a closer place for our fall hunt. If I don't have to do camp chores that is.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob F, the 1st eland I shot at Camp Cooley was from a herd grazing near the buffalos. After the eland went down, those big guys went over to nuzzle the eland and perhaps lick up a little blood. We went up in Jonathan's truck blowing the horn to get them to move off. I sure wasn't gonna walk up on them and see if they'd leave. Not unless I had something with 2 barrels or bigger than my 375. They were as big as volkswagens. Bob

Posts: 1283 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rufus, 13 hrs. is a DEAL , we are about 19 hrs. from NW Ind. to S.Tx. But ya gotta understand, me and Doc, are a couple a crazy Bast***s, when it comes to driving. We don't think it's been a good day unless we get 800 miles under our belt, then its time for beer and pizza !

Mad Dog

one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing Christopher is strict about is drinking before hunting-in camp, after the hunt, no fuss. Just not before.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good, he should be! You should never have a toddy until after the day's hunt, and the guns are put away. I'm basically an ice tea man, until the sun sets.

Mad Dog

one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out www.williams-ranch.com I'll work with you. We are about 100 miles NW of Austin.

Keith

Posts: 87 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you got any thing open between x-mas and new years day? Am waiting for your web page to open.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Check out www.williams-ranch.com I'll work with you. We are about 100 miles NW of Austin.

Keith

Keith,

I couldn't get your web site to come up either. You might want to check your web site hosting and/or service provider. I just did a ping and these are the results.

ping www.williams-ranch.com

Pinging williams-ranch.com [205.238.131.207] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 205.238.131.207: Destination host unreachable.
Request timed out.

Of course, the Internet being what it is, this might only be a temporary problem. But, I thought I would bring it to your attention.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FYI: Just thought I'd retry the URL. It's working.

http://www.williams-ranch.com/

-Bob F.