New
Find
Notify
Tools

460 s&w mag/feral hogs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to know if any of you guys have killed a feral hog with the 460? If so, lets here the story. I purchased a 460 mag rev. and a 20" Katahdin barrel for my t/c pistol. Plan to use the 20" barrel for 100 yd shots. The rev for close range shots. I haven't shot the t/c 20" barrel yet. Plan to try it on easter sunday. Thanks for any information. Please include your load/velocity with reply.

Posts: 55 | Location: Wichita Ks. area | Registered: 30 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I have not but a suggestion. With that cartridge if you use a quickly expanding bullet, and a Texas heart shot, aiming a bit lower than usual, you will not have to field dress him. jumping

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bob300wsm:
I would like to know if any of you guys have killed a feral hog with the 460? If so, lets here the story. I purchased a 460 mag rev. and a 20" Katahdin barrel for my t/c pistol. Plan to use the 20" barrel for 100 yd shots. The rev for close range shots. I haven't shot the t/c 20" barrel yet. Plan to try it on easter sunday. Thanks for any information. Please include your load/velocity with reply.

Times up! How did it do?

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
not for nothing, but doesn't a 20" barrel make a pistol an AOL, and/or short barreled rifle?

I will be MORE than happy to be wrong on this, just was thinking that if you have a 10"barrel and a carbine buttsstok you are not with a "short rifle" AOW

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38631 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the Supreme Court said the T/C was not in violation of that law because of it's unique characterictics as a "sporting use only" weapon. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The law states that i can used any lenght barrel on a pistol. You can't take rifle frame and convert it to a pistol. Ref: The Gun Control Act of 1968 U.S.C.Title 18, Chapter 44.

Posts: 55 | Location: Wichita Ks. area | Registered: 30 June 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys
jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38631 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
iKILLED A LOT OF BOARS WITH MY CLOCK 40SW FMJS ,WITH MY SW62944SWMAGNUM BLACK TALONS,AND WITH MY KING COBRA 357 ,SOMETIMES I USED MY 1911S I PREFER THE GLOCK BECAUSE I HUNT AT SHORT RANGE WITH DOGS .JUAN

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6369 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 20" Bullberry Encore rifle barrel in 454 casull being rechambered into S&W 460 which I'm planning to load some of my cast performance and jacketed bullets for,may buy some CP 395 meplat gc lead bullets for it,already have load data from hodgdon,hornaday and cast performance want to try it on some piggies also load 45 long colt for my Blackhawk.Encore pistol can be converted into a rifle legally .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bob300wsm:
The law states that i can used any lenght barrel on a pistol. You can't take rifle frame and convert it to a pistol. Ref: The Gun Control Act of 1968 U.S.C.Title 18, Chapter 44.
I have a copy of the court decision from TC from 1992 they will send you one if you request it ,It's a US Supreme Court Decision regarding contender and encore.Should clear up your questions re 1968 gca.A receiver may be assembled with either a pistol grip and pistol barrel,or with a shoulder stock and rifle barrel(minimum barrel length 16 inches").A barrel under 16" must never be assembled when the shoulder stock is attached.Within that parameter the consumer may use the parts to make a pistol or carbine and may change the configuration at will,the use of these products in all of the states is likewise lawful except certain restrictions may apply in California .They do!