Find
Notify
Tools

Lanyard for Pig Knife
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted
I've got a bowie-shaped knife with a 9.5" blade and ram's horn handle. It doesn't have a lanyard with it, though.

I'd like to get one that compliments the look of the knife, maybe braided rawhide leather.

My question is:

How important is the type of lanyard used for knife hunting pigs (type (synthetic/natural) and length)?

Thanks
DB

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
I use a Puma White hunter with a leather wrist strap. I always use the strap, but I've never lost my grip on the knife yet.

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Cane,
Need to know your plans a little..
are you going to plan on chaning out the lanyard every couple hunts? how long, and you DO plan to use it as a lanyard, rather than just a "cool" look

1: rawhide is right out... looks great on paper.. and just like paper, looks great till it gets wet... then it's rubber.. and, most of the time, will crack after some times hard use if not oiled... rawhide has it's place, but not in something you want to be both flexble AND dimensionally fairly stable

2: chrome tanned "mule" hide.. wears like iron... soak in some olive oil, and it will wear great, but still will need to be a thick square, a heavy welp, or a two layer sown together

refer back to sword knots.. once better materials were available, these wear NEVER leather
3:woven camo cord or silk rope.. seriously.... you could lift YOUR TRUCK with a 3/8" piece of woven silk rope.. forever flexible, strong, and you would break the knife handle before you lost your lanyard....

though nylon "cotton finish" 6 ply would work just fine, expecially if camo

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38608 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The proper term is martingale. A nylon line no bigger than 3/16" is all you need.

One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. I agree that even though rawhide has a better look, its not very practical.

I'll go with nylon cord, it's cheap and easy to replace if it gets frayed or dirty.

~~~

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Paracord is very good this is T10 cord.
Used by me and Randall thumb
This is my home made Emma Mrk. 1 and my Randall # 17 Carbon "Astro"

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
Nice photos...good looking knives

~~~

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
quote:
Need to know your plans a little..

Good point.

I use an oiled leather strap. For a 3 day hunt once maybe twice a year it's fine. For a guide, I agree there are better choices.

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
i dont use lanyards in pistols or knives its a question of preferences,but if you have a good kraton handle you dont need the lanyard and its dificult to pas from freward grip to reverse grip but ,its a question of preferences parachute cord its the best as always i agree with my friend ,andre .Andre do you remember who make the kives for the selous scouts i have several articles but you havemore .juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6369 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
Here is the knife with the paracord lanyard.

~~~

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Cane,

that knife is close to perfect, in my mind.. thumber grooves, finger ring, FULL tang, long edge.. and a hilt is a personal/use choice.

if the first 1.5" of blade were seraded (for skinning) and the backedge was sharpened, it would be perfect

Myself, I would have a ~ 18" single strand, with a "hangman's" slipnot on both ends. As Juan says, these loop lanyards do inhibit some knife handling actions, and a little longer "cant loose it" approach is what the calvary has done for centuries

jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

Myself, I would have a ~ 18" single strand, with a "hangman's" slipnot on both ends. As Juan says, these loop lanyards do inhibit some knife handling actions, and a little longer "cant loose it" approach is what the calvary has done for centuries

jeffe

Thanks for the feedback, Jeffe.

The photo is not very good, but the top curved edge near the tip is sharp and it has rounded/course serrations along the top.

Your lanyard recommendation sounds interesting, but I'm not clear on what you mean. Just a single strand of cord knotted at both ends? No loop, I take it?

~~~

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CaneCorso:
Your lanyard recommendation sounds interesting, but I'm not clear on what you mean. Just a single strand of cord knotted at both ends? No loop, I take it?

I could be wrong, but I think he means a slipknot loop at each end, tightened around the knife and your wrist. That way you have only one line between your hand and the knife rather than an open loop.

I imagine he will check back and confirm (or set me straight).

Do you hunt with a Cane Corso?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:

Do you hunt with a Cane Corso?

Not yet; I'm working on getting one, though!

~~~

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CaneCorso:
Not yet; I'm working on getting one, though!

I am interested in large dogs that remain athletic and structurally sound. Cane Corso, Dogo Argentino, Presa Canario, Boerboel, American Bulldogs (Scott rather than Johnson type), and the like. Too many breeds have been affected by breeding for looks rather than function -- it is a real shame. Hopefully you will find the right dog.

My own dogs tend to be hard luck stories of dubious parentage, but perhaps one day...

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Yep...
slipknot -- line-- slipknot, just like a sword knot.. calvary style...

the thumb/file cuts on back for the thumb i can see.. which are a good add... what i would like is the "true" serrated front edge, to rip at the hide/tissue boundary.

I would use a "noose" hangman's knot, rather than a traditional slip knot, as it holds firmer (ront over tighten without loads of effort) nor will it come loose easily.

jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally use a bayonette for an M-16. It has the one long edge and is sharp on half of the 'top' of the blade. The ring that fits over the barrel of the rifle makes a great thumb hold also. Mine is by Colt, made in Soligen Germany. I've stuck a good many hogs with it and it's fairly easy to keep sharp.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote