Find
Notify
Tools

took an absolute BRUTE of a boar
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted

Not much to tell. It's my 3rd largest I've ever taken. Used a 23" 30-30 AI with a 150 grain Ballistic Silvertip ahead of 36.2 grains of H4895. MV is around 2570 fps. Range was app. 185 yards, and the hog -- shot through the heart -- made a 20-yard dash into brush so thick a rabbit wouldn't even go in there. Hope to have a recovered bullet photo later on...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Great shot...as usual. He has a lot of Eurasian blood in him too!

Congrats,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
That's a good one, nice features! Did you weigh him?

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That one looks like he stinks...

Good job, Bobby!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post

The photo doesn't do this one justice. I am estimating he'd go a solid 285-290. But he did not make it onto a scale.

As to the bullet, it broke the onside shoulder, penetrated the heart, damaged a portion of the lungs, broke a rib on the opposite side and made it through its 2nd encounter with an 0.7" thick gristle before coming to rest under the hide (very nearly exited). The recovered bullet weighs 109 grains.

Doubless-You could probably smell this one a mile away...he was quite rank. Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
this one shows the size a little better...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good one Bobby!

Makes me itch to get back out there.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow...great hog, Congrats

Simply, Elegant but always approachable

Posts: 354 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Makes me "itch" to get out there also.
But I have to wait till after Xmas.
Nice work Bobby and a pig of a boar.
(pardon the descriptive noun)

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
CONGRATULATIONS WELL DONE clap

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yee-ha! Git after 'em Bobby.

I'm O for 3 my last sits--missed a boar, and nothing the last two sits.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Damn! Your New 30-30 AI is real nice! WTG Bobby!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
well done sir

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Thanks, fellows.

Mississippian-I did not get to weigh him, but from experience, I'd say he went 285-290 -- maybe a pound or 2 more but not likely any less.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice Boar. I would say he had a lot of Russian blood in him, but I would also say that most of that blood came out once you shot him!

Here is a question: If you were to weigh or guesstimate the weight of the hide and shield, what would you say it was?

Cheers,

Matt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Pig Bobby, how much you think the stink weighed?

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Damn Id like to go down there and shoot a couple.

Is there a limit on them or a tag needed?

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal30,

No tag needed.

Limit is 500 per day..........After January 1, 2013, the limit per day goes up.....

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Damn nice boar. His head is huge!

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CamoManJ
posted Hide Post
Nice Boar...Bobby.

As always, I enjoy your detailed post & pics.

"A Lone Hunter is the Best Hunter..."

Posts: 426 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 25 June 2009Reply With Quote