Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hogs by helicopter?
 Login/Join

posted
Friend of mine has land in South Texas. Hogs are so thick that the tenant farmer rents a helicopter to fly around and kill hogs just to get rid of them.

Sounds like great fun to me.

Just curious. How much would you pay to fly around in a helicopter and shoot pigs for a couple of hours???

Posts: 9 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I happen to know the Texas legislator who sponsored the bill to allow hog shooting from the air. He said his other finest legislative accomplishments were bills to allow you to drive faster on the highway and drink earlier on Sundays. Sounds like we could use a couple of hundred more like him!

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Isn't that called anarchey [Big Grin] [Wink]

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
A chap (not a hunter) shoot them using his helicopter, I've been once in a hunt which involved the use of a chopper and NEVER again, makes something stupid of what we love more, stalk, track, shoot, etc.

It's not the correct way of killing such a sportive and noble beast!!! [Mad] [Mad]

Things like this plays against the real hunters.

Wow, just discovered I'm a radical [Big Grin]

LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,

If it was your ranch getting destroyed by feral hogs, you might not be as quick to judge. This is no different than the aerial gunning of coyotes to control predation.

Bob

WillGuy,

To answer your question, no I would not pay to hunt hogs from a chopper.

Bob

[ 11-28-2003, 00:50: Message edited by: Bob in TX ]

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Thats done alot here in the top end of Australia, not by sporting hunters but by contracters who control pig/donkey/horse numbers in places like National parks. Your mainly paying for fuel so up here it'll cost around $6-700 an hour. Or there abouts.

Posts: 7977 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yea nothing wrong with getting rid of pest that way.

Posts: 174 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob in TX:
Stonecreek,

If it was your ranch getting destroyed by feral hogs, you might not be as quick to judge. This is no different than the aerial gunning of coyotes to control predation.

Huh? What did I say that set you off in this direction? And I do have a ranch that is suffering porcine depredations.

I happen to know the Legislator well and completely agree with him. He made his comments about drinking earlier and driving faster tounge in cheek. The fact is that he was able to convince his city-dweller collegues that aerial control of feral hogs by permit was legitimately needed. At the same time, I don't think that he or anyone else regards aerial control of hogs as a "sport shooting" activity.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,

I think Bob got you confused with Lorenzo...

Lorenzo,

I like to hunt hogs too, although they don't quite rise to the status of nobility in my mind. The issue for us is that in some areas, wild hogs are doing real destruction to property and they make it difficult at best to manage for other species, like whitetailed deer. A Texas game biologist quipped that they're the only specie he knows where a female will have a litter of six and eight will survive. I know guys who shoot hogs from helicopters, but it is not done for sport. It's a question of balance on some properties.

BTW, Congratulations on your ranch. Looks like a fine place. I would like to get down there some day.

David

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,

Your tongue in cheek humor was lost on me I guess. It sounded like you were be a bit sarcastic in your post. Sorry if I misunderstood what you were saying.......

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

That's okay, my wife doesn't understand me either. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple of friends and I do this once a year down in South Texas. We pay $250.00 an hour on average for the helicopter. The landowner supplies the property for free. We get to shoot all the coyotes and hogs we can find. Most use a shotgun but I use my M16. Shooting hogs and coyotes from a helicopter with a machine gun is the most fun I have ever had with my pants on!

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quote:

A couple of friends and I do this once a year down in South Texas. We pay $250.00 an hour on average for the helicopter. The landowner supplies the property for free. We get to shoot all the coyotes and hogs we can find. Most use a shotgun but I use my M16. Shooting hogs and coyotes from a helicopter with a machine gun is the most fun I have ever had with my pants on!

How do you follow up on your shots ? If a pig is wounded, that you shoot on the same pig ? Do you track a wounded pig if it won't stop.

This sound very ugly to me....

We have boars to, but manage to control them with our regular hunting and without loosing our respect for the game.

Posts: 15 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 29 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
I�m talking about the animals we have down here, the russian wild boar and not those spotted varmints you have around there . I believe is a noble, inteligent, fierce and difficult adversary for any hunter.

BTW, I love and respet any animal that allowed me to hunt him hard.

LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote