New
Find
Notify
Tools

Exciting Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Had a man bring a client down for a hunt and the hunt started with this!!!

I caught him to work some dogs with.

Then we started a hog off a feeder and the dogs went out of hearing. I tracked to them an they were bayed a mile away from where we started. Eased up to the bay and it was still a ways off the road in the brush so I held the bulldog off and let the stags go. Didn,t take them long to arrive and catch.

After getting the hog out we went back to camp and picked up some fresh dogs and then went back out and hunted until Day break with no barks at all. It was a horrible night because it stayed around 90 degrees until just before we quit with no breeze at all.

Posts: 157 | Location: Pearsall, Tex. | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot the Pictures. Try again.

Had a man bring a client down for a hunt and the hunt started with this!!!

I caught him to work some dogs with.

Then we started a hog off a feeder and the dogs went out of hearing. I tracked to them an they were bayed a mile away from where we started. Eased up to the bay and it was still a ways off the road in the brush so I held the bulldog off and let the stags go. Didn,t take them long to arrive and catch.

After getting the hog out we went back to camp and picked up some fresh dogs and then went back out and hunted until Day break with no barks at all. It was a horrible night because it stayed around 90 degrees until just before we quit with no breeze at all.

Posts: 157 | Location: Pearsall, Tex. | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This isn't my day!! here is the last picture

One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Incredible pig. How much does one like that weigh?

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He looks bigger than he is 110- 150 kg

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He sure looks big!

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice hog. Can you explain what you use the snake for, as we don't have them over here.

Posts: 4248 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If not mistaken they use the snake to train the dogs to stay the hell away from them. L:east thats what I would do.

Nice hog, but thats a heck of a snake bud.

Mike / Tx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put an electronic collar on the dog and lead him up to the snake on the down wind side and the minute he smells the snake and goes toward him I shock him. Usually only have to do it once. You can't drag him over it then.

posted Hide Post
Looks like you have a fair mix of dogs too. Any breeds better than another for hogs?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by duckman:
I put an electronic collar on the dog and lead him up to the snake on the down wind side and the minute he smells the snake and goes toward him I shock him. Usually only have to do it once. You can't drag him over it then.

Cheers for that. It makes a lot of sense. Many guys loose dogs to snakes?

Posts: 4248 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Nice work, duckman! That's one hell-of-a boar hog!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks like you have a fair mix of dogs too. Any breeds better than another for hogs?

It has more to do with want to than anything else. My bay dogs are primarily black mouth cur but with a little hound in them. I have four catch dogs;
2 half staghound half bulldog

1 half dogo half catahoula

1 american bulldog