New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rain and pigs!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was putting corn in feeders, wife called some one was selling a few hay bales!!! Rather than do a big loop I borrowed my friend's old crusty trailer and hauled the hay. Was returning the trailer, loaded my ATV to stay and hunt. There were pop up thunder heads around! I "double dog" dared it to try and rain me out. Finally got in the tower when the wife texted about lots of lightening in town. I looked around the back plywood and got a face full of rain! Decided it was safer or at least dryer in the bird cage than on an open ATV! Some of the lightening was so bright and long it cut off my lights. Rain on a metal roof, I could not hear my feeder go off! About 10 the wind got very strong, rattled the cage hard! Lightening, rain and wind quit. A sounder came in. I picked the biggest I could see and shot. They all ran except a really small one left slowly. I put another shell in the chamber and sat real still. Surprisingly three smaller ones came right back. One had it's head in front of another, so I aimed for the head! I could see at least one down! Waited a bit, loaded up and rode over there. From the side I had hit one on the first shot and one on the second shot. 416 Ruger broke the first one's back. Took off the side of the second ones head. There was strange dark mystery meat and blood stains between the two. It was still 88 degrees. The rain on parched hot soil raised the humidity to like 100%. I was suffering!!! Maybe 25 to 35 pound each. Quick cell phone photo for my friend. Threw one on the front rack, other on the back. Stopped at the bone yard then to AC!! Probably should have kept the head shot but I was hurting it was hot! My friend got an inch and a quarter!

Posts: 705 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Rain might be coming our way here in the Big Country too. Looking forward to it. I know there are pigs in this neighborhood, but haven't made enough contacts yet to get close to having access. I'd be happy just to see one at this pont.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote