New
Find
Notify
Tools

New hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
place. Went out yesterday to a new ranch to hunt. I have actually hunted it before when another person owned it and it was low fenced. Now it has been cleaned up and high fenced.They have taken out all of the exotics except a couple of red deer and axis. It is around 3000 acres and the hogs are hard to find in the daylight. They must have a good bedding place that I do not know about because we hunted for three hours before we got saw the first fresh sign.This place has flint rock hills and creek bottom land on it. One stipulation from the owner was to stay away from the deer pens.That was easy for me be cause I certainly could not afford to pay for one of those deer if it broke its neck hitting the fence, so I asked the ranch manager to go with me.
At the first fresh sign I asked John how far it was to the pens and if it was ok to put Quirt and Trouble out to see if they could locate what made the rooting.He said ok so out they went. After circling a couple of times and doing what dogs do after riding aroud for awhile they got lined out and into the brush they went.In about 5 minutes Trouble opened up bayed,then Quirt. I told John I was going in the brush to se what they had and I would call him on the radio and tell him when to turn the catch dogs loose. When I got close it sounded like there was two bays about 25 yards apart.I could hear the hog grunting and running at the dogs so I called for the catch dogs. After awhile and no catch dogs showed I called on the radio again and asked for John to respond I barely heard him and then everything went dead.Wasn't lond before I heard the catch dogs catch and I went in to see what was caught and all I could see was teeth. As I was going in to stick him John showed up with a gun in each hand and I asked him if he wanted to stick him and he said go ahead and he would watch.All this time I never smelled him. After it was over and no dogs got cut I looked and saw it was a barrow with 3 1/4 in cutters.

We took him to the ranch hdqs and weighed him at 271 lbs

I am headed out to process him because I am going to Dallas tomorrow.

Posts: 157 | Location: Pearsall, Tex. | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NICE
looks like a barrel with legs and TEETH

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some guys have all the fun.

I'm stuck in town for a couple more weeks.
Man your photos make it tough on a guy that would rather be in the woods.
Enjoy the pix and stories. Keep them coming!

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a great one! I'm delighted that you were able to weigh it. At 271 pounds it is probably in the top 1% of feral hogs. Lot of people would look at that hog and swear that it weighs 500 lbs.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice to see another dog hunter, and a gray bearded one at that, nice pig by the way.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I color my beard rotflmo

Posts: 157 | Location: Pearsall, Tex. | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah me too.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not about to......

I figure I've earned what I got, and besides, what ain't turned grey, has turned loose.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You haven't seen me with my cap off rotflmo

posted Hide Post
Larry where did yuo get that knives. Looks great.

Posts: 12 | Location: maceo kentucky | Registered: 01 March 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Reports have hogs in a couple of counties near me. But havent heard of any being killed.

Posts: 12 | Location: maceo kentucky | Registered: 01 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kgarr:
Larry where did yuo get that knives. Looks great.

Got on ebay, it is called a S-Bowie and made by an outfit called NU-Made as I recall.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
wow! awesome

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39682 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went to ebay and there was one for sale under Bowie Knives. Looks like I paid too much. Frowner

Nice knife but very heavy. The sheath had to be replaced cause the orginal was junk. Heard they replaced it with a better one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like you said, I'd sure thought that hog was a lot heavier from the picture. Have you eaten any of it yet? I'll bet it's good chow.
Thanks for sharing the hunt with us.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6019 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Sir, the grilled pork chops are excellent!