New
Find
Notify
Tools

No more pigs with 300wby
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
up close! I shot this hog last evening (appx 150 live) from appx 10yds in Maud, TX. I was shooting straight down and all I could see through my scope was hair. The shot hit the spine and you see what happened. I was unsure of the area we were hunting before going to the woods with a couple of friends and the only rifle that I was positive that was dead on was my 300. Buying a 30-30 tomorrow.

300 Wby
180gr Wby loads

We were hunting over a friends gravity corn feeder (Pvc pipe) and they had really been hitting it hard lately and he had a few great images from his trail camera. We will be refilling the feeder today and also adding a few others to the area along with a length of telephone pole for them to rub on. We hope to bag at least one or two more this week.

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug,

It looks like Wby is loading varmint bullets in their
factory ammo. If there are any controlled expansion
bullet choices available you might try that before
buying another rifle....on second thought ANY reason
to get a new rifle is prolly a good one!

Good Luck & let's see some pics of 30-30 damage, Bruce

Posts: 45 | Location: DFDubya Texas | Registered: 27 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The shot hit center spine and everything blew up. I have no interest in looking into better bullets for 300 just for hogs, I have plenty of other rifles that would have done better, I was just not 100% about their sighting (I am sorry to say I have neglected them a bit) so I grabbed my old buddy. When my wife saw the photo it was easy to explain the need for yet another gun to match my quarry . She loves wild pig and hated to see the meat wasted.

Hopefully pics of more pork soon.

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Doug,
at least you didn't have Bt's loaded into it.. the would have started coming apart at HAIR...

grob some 170 silvertips for your 3030!!

another hog trick is to "Water" a stump with deisel... same thing as the telephone pole, but far easier to get into place..

you know they are using the cerosote in the pole to kill frees and ticks, right?

and they say pigs aren't smart.... the ONLY animal i've seen that does this

jeffe

Posts: 38513 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jeffeoso

Thanks for the info about deisel fuel and yes I knew that about the ticks and fleas.We are going out tomorrow afternoon to setup a couple more spots out there with deisel, corn etc and when I get back in town after the area being unmolested for a week except for an every other day corn refill (pvc feeders) I hope to be able to take a couple more to be processed.

Doug

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Hi Doug,
I sold all my hammers when I heard about a guy that really messed up a watch trying to change the battery with a sledge hammer.

I hate to see you discard an entire cartridge for ruining some meat.

I've killed pigs with cartridges from .222 to .460 Wby. and have seen pigs killed with essentially everything in between. Believe me at TEN yards you're typically going to ruin some meat no matter what you are using.

You must admit it would be tough to design an expanding bullet that would work well at both 10 yards and 410 yards. As it would be tough to offer a load that would work equally as well on a Coues deer as on a moose. The bullet/ammo companies must compromise to get a mass market product.

If your shots are often that close you may want to consider a revolver, slug gun or muzzleloader. The slow velocity typically ruins very little meat.

Overall high velocity and frangible bullets (Ballistic Tips, SST's, hollow points, etc.) ruin the most meat.

Also if meat is the primary concern head shots ruin very little meat and are a pretty safe bet if you're patient enough to get shots that close.

Good hunting,
Kyler

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of a deer I shot at that distance. It ran out of the brush seen my Dad turned toward me tried to run back in, I shot it at about 10ft all I could see was hair. It blew his spine all to pieces and one of his front feet/hooves. The best part was my Dad was watching the whole time and he couldn�t believe I could hit anything at that distance with a 4x12 scope and a Rem 30-06. I killed many deer with the same rifle afterwards recently sold it to get a Rem 300WM(More Power). I would almost bet at the distance you shot your pig a 30-30 would still blow him up really bad.

Congrats on the hog at least you didn�t have to track him.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
FOR HUNTING HOGS IN THE BUSH AT SHORT DISTANCE I USE A MARLIN GUIDE GUN 4570 .JUAN

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kyler,

There is no way I could discard that gun, it has been my go to gun for 20 yrs and it will continue to be my favorite in the bunch (don't tell the others ). I have decided to get the 30-30 for hunting this area and most likely only this area. I like the cartridge and open sights are better suited for this hole in the woods and also that lever action would make it easier to load and swing on another porker. I am ready for the 45/70,444 etc comments but the 30-30 did the job when I was a boy and I am sure it will still do the job just fine.

Doug

one of us
posted Hide Post
I finally managed to shoot a hog with my Sauer 202 in .300wby last month while hunting with kyler. The shot was a little over 100 yards and it was the cleanest kill I've made to date with very little meat wasted. Many fine boned pork roasts and fresh sausages in my freezer now. I used Federal 180gr with Nosler Partitions.

Posts: 161 | Location: La Honda, California | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sean

Great looking pig, you will love every bit of it. I had my hams smoked locally here and they are fantastic and the chops are just as good and now my wife is ready for me to shoot another one.

As I mentioned earlier is another post, I will not hesitate to use my 300wby where I anticipate long shots, like the area you hunted (I hunted CA for pigs in May). It will continue to be my go to gun for for larger critters and distance shooting.

Doug